Absence and Vacation template: how to stop everyone from being able to approve RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to use the MS Absence and Vacation Shedule template.  According to MS, only users with Manage Lists permissions should be able to approve Absence requests.  I have one user with that permission (part of the Design permission level) and have verified that all other users only have Contribute rights w/o the Manage Lists permission.  I have also configured the Absences list settings to allow users to only edit their own items.

However, any user can still approve or reject any other user's absence request.  How can this be fixed so that ONLY the official Approver is able to approve requests?
    Friday, March 6, 2009 10:41 PM

All replies

• I assigned specific privileges on the web part for the approve/reject.  That seemed to take care of it for me.
    Sean
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 3:40 AM
  • Thanks, Sean, but you could specify precisely what permissions you're referring to?  If you mean the "Pending Approval" web part that appears by default on the right, how exactly do you edit permissions for that?  When I click on 'Modify Shared Web Part' I do not see any options for permissions.   

I assumed this web part was just tied to a specific view of the main Absences list, but I can't edit permissions on just a view, it would have to be for a whole list, which means users would also lose their ability to submit a request.

What am I missing?

Thanks!!
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:19 PM
  • Hi,

I think this may be caused by the contribute have “Edit items” permission; they can edit the Absence list item.

Please try to create a new permission level by copying contribute permission and removing “Edit items” from the list permissions, the break Absence list’s permission inheritance from the site and add users with the new level permission. 

Hope it helps.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 2:45 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, but not allowing them to edit their own items just so they can't Approve means they are unable to edit their own items, period, which they SHOULD be able to do in case something about their absence request changes. 

If I did not want them to edit any list items I would simply go to List Settings > Advanced Settings and change the Edit Access radio button to 'none', but I only want them to be unable to approve, not to be unable to edit their own items.

As stated above, the ability to approve is supposed to be tied to the Manage Lists permission, but as Contributors, I have already verified they don't have it, so it must be something else.

Thanks!!

Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:39 PM
  • Hi,

This behavior is by design, Site created using "AbsenceVacationSchedule" template, users who apply for vacation are able to approve their own requests.

Please try the following resolution:

1.     Create a new sub site with the Absence and vacation template by inheriting the permission from the parent site (Not with unique 
         permissions)

2.     Opened the site setting from the root site and created new permission level (named Contribute_modified)by copying contribute
          permission and removing "Edit items" from the list permissions. Break the inheritance from the parents in the sub site by editing
          the permission

3.     Remove all existing users/group and add the requestor users with Contribute_modified permission, and add the approver users
         with Full control permission

After this, the requestors cannot approve their own requests.

Let me know the result.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Friday, March 13, 2009 3:59 AM
  •   OK, I did exactly that, but unfortunately, a user with the new "Contributor_modified" rights could still edit his or anyone else's absence requests. 

Thanks for your help so far!!
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 11:59 PM