none
SCOM Monitoring plan RRS feed

• Question

• I don’t have anyone in my workplace with significant experience with SCOM to check my work. Does this sound like a viable monitoring plan? (It seemed to work in my proof of concept lab...but that was a very small scale test.)

I am using SCOM 2007 R2 in a 4 server configuration SCOM, SQL (SQL 2008R2), web client, and SQLDW/reporting (SQL 2008R2) on separate servers … I’ll eventually add a second SCOM server for redundancy

I have 500 servers that I am monitoring (this will increase to about 1500 over the next two years)

For 75% most of them, I only need minimal monitoring (CPU/RAM/HDD)
    For 10% I want full monitoring…but I don’t manage them so I will want the alerts to go to the department that owns that specific machine
    The remaining 15% I want full monitoring and I want the alerts to come to me.

I have created a Minimal_Monitoring group

Using the bulk override tool, I’ve disabled the collection rules for everything except CPU/RAM/HDD and I have overrode the interval to check every 15 min (1 hour for disk space)

I will also disable all of the Windows / IIS / SQL monitors so that alerts do not fire for the  Minimal_Monitoring group

Next…

I create a group for every department that has a machine including mine

When I start monitoring a machine (either a newly provisioned server or adding monitoring to an existing server), I create group for that machine
    Then the machine group is placed as a subgroup of either the department or the Minimal_Monitoring group

Then I setup a notification subscription so that if an alert is generated for a machine owned by a department…the alert goes to their technical contact.

To help the various departments manage their own resources I create an “Author security role” SCOM user for each department.
    Each SCOM user will be constrained in the group scope so that they can only see their group. (If someone needs access to just one machine…because the machines are all setup as groups I can add at that level of granularity.)

The SCOM users will be able to login using the SCOM Web Console.

Does everything here sound practical and sustainable?
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:17 PM

Answers

• Sounds interesting for sure, and well done if you have done all this.

Practical and sustainable, not for me or my customers, maybe it is for you.

There is enough to manage in SCOM as it stands but maybe it suits you? 

Paul Keely
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:49 PM

All replies

• Sounds interesting for sure, and well done if you have done all this.

Practical and sustainable, not for me or my customers, maybe it is for you.

There is enough to manage in SCOM as it stands but maybe it suits you? 

Paul Keely
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:49 PM
  • Hello Skot123,

I do agree with Paul. Everything is practical if it meets your requirment.

Thanks,

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, October 18, 2010 9:23 AM