Move Logs Partition RRS feed

• Question

• We have a VMware environment with exchange 2010 installed clustered with a DR site connected by WAN.

We had an issue a while back where we had to shift a lot of mailboxes to another storage groups along with the backup solution taking long periods of time to clear the log files down they would get full fast and we kept increasing the partition size just to avoid downtime(admittedly not the best solution but it worked..). It is now a massive  partition that's only ever about 5% use with the logs. So we want to now shrink this partition which is not so easy in VMware, We were looking at re-pointing where the logs get stored but this would involve binning the DR copy and doing a full reseed which would take up about 10-14 days to complete.

My question is.. If we were to fail over to the DR site (keep mail flow up) and take the main DAG offline, make a new smaller partition with the same drive letter / location and use something like Robocopy to do a full copy of the old logs partition to the new smaller one then bring exchange back up.  Would this work to avoid doing a reseed or would exchange refuse to work when we fail it back from the DR site?

Any other suggestion welcome...

Az

Monday, November 14, 2011 10:28 AM

Answers

• A reseed is about the only thing I would consider. Anything else puts the DAG at risk and you would end up doing a reseed anyway.

Another option would be to move all the mailboxes in to a new database with a new location for the logs, then just drop the original.

Reseeding of the database is one of those things that a lot of people simply don't take in to account when designing DAG implementations across multiple sites.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    • Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Terence Yu Monday, November 21, 2011 8:33 AM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:57 AM