Missing overlay in Windows Media Player 11 RRS feed

• Question

• Either in Vista RC's and RTM I have found the same trouble with Windows Media Player. The Windows Media Player is worse than its XP version for its missing video acceleration.

This is what I have found out so far:

Vista's WMP11 is the only player that probably does not support YUV overlay. Because embedded web videos are dependent on that player, this (I call it a big bug) heavily decreases the price of Vista.

When I open Performance tab in Options, I can find only four video options:

• Drop frames to keep audio and video synchronized
    • Use video smoothing
    • Display full-screen controls
    • Turn on DirectX Video Acceleration for WMV files

Please, don't try to tell me that I have wrong, legacy or incompatible hardware (VIA/S3G Unichrome IGP). I can play video in Real Player that works much much better than the crappy WMP. However, what happens when I watch embedded ASF video in RealPlayer's web browser? A mirracle. The embedded WMP in RealPlayer's web browser suddenly supports the video acceleration through YUV overlay. When I right-click on it for Options, in the Performance tab I can suddenly see the Video Acceleration button that opens the big Video Acceleration options dialog I'm used to in XP.

I think that the depended Windows Media Player should not work this way in the final version of Vista and Microsoft should reconsider the distribution of RTM to the manufacture until this BUG is fixed.

So, why Windows Media Player as the only player does not have YUV overlay in Vista? Did they forget something?

How about you? Do you have overlay in Windows Media Player? What overlay does your hardware support? RGB and/or YUV?

If someone from Microsoft wishes to contact me for more details, I'm pleased to get in touch. Here is my address: martin.lipocky@hotmail.com

Monday, November 27, 2006 7:38 PM

All replies

• well i had the same problem hope that Microsoft fixes it sooner or later... i am really frustrated with  it...
    Tuesday, December 12, 2006 10:22 PM
  • yep man, its also very disapointed me. i looked everywhere to find how to enable overlay in WMP11, but nothing...
    Thursday, January 3, 2008 7:14 PM