What does this mean: "Only documents created in a signed application ..." RRS feed

• Question

• Downloading a word file from SharePoint 2010 to Office Word 2007 on Windows 7 x86. The file was IRM protected prior to upload to SP. Word displays a popup saying:

"Only documents created in a signed application can be opened in a signed application"

Dismiss the popup and the file opens okay. Word developers, Thank you very much for disturbing my experience. Now, can someone illuminate my ignorance as to what this means? Better yet, how can that irritating and useless popup be eliminated?

I googled this text, only saw one response from Cairo. The poster deleted their IRM creds. Unfortunately, that is not what I want here.

Searched forums, and high and low, no mention of this. It appears to be new with SP 2010.

thanks in advance for all responses

Paul Painter
    Friday, August 13, 2010 2:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Paul, If you look in your DRM folder do you have multiple CLCs or RACs? -Jason
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Paul, If you look in your DRM folder do you have multiple CLCs or RACs? -Jason
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Hello Jason,

Thanks. I deleted user profiles on a test pc.
     It is working OK. And thanks you very much for your artiles on your blog. really appreciated!!

Akira Sekine

Sunday, August 28, 2011 1:20 PM
  • I have a similar problem after uninstalling rms in a test environment - and reinstalling.

With "fresh" users it works ok.

Users who had been working with the old installation cannot access RMS protected documents or protect documents. 

They get the message ""Only documents created in a signed application can be opened in a signed application"

I believe the licenses under \users\<UserName>\AppData\Microsoft\DRM are still used but not valid anymore?

There is a CLC... and a GIC... there which seem to be outdated.

(How) can I get rid of them?

Thanks - Stefan

Thursday, May 3, 2012 5:03 PM
  • OK, I couldn't delete the licenses but I could rename the containing folder. Afterwards it works for the user, whose previous licenses I deleted.

Of course this is only a save approach in test environments.

As for the above question, there also might by an outdated license for the opening user causing the problem.

• Edited by IprefUnix Thursday, May 3, 2012 5:19 PM
    Thursday, May 3, 2012 5:17 PM