none
Upgrade from DPM 2010 to DPM 2012 failed during SQL portion RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DPM 2010 production server installed on Windows 2008 R2.  It has a DPM installed version of SQL 2008.  As per the many guides out there, I have applied the latest updates and hotfixes to DPM 2010 and updated the remote agents.

Upon starting the install for DPM 2012, as per the guides I read on the Internet, I chose to the "Use the dedicated instance of SQL Server" and then clicked the "check and install" button.  I figure DPM2012 requires SQL 2008 R2 and it will take care of the update.  I get past that screen, enter my license key, SQL passwords, etc... and get to the screen on installing progress.  It sat for a while and I eventually got an error.  ID 828, DPM cannot connect to the Service Control Manager (SCM).

My only option was to close the installer at that point.  I seem to have a functional 2010 environment still, and a partially or fully installed SQL 2008 R2 instance (MSDPM2012) that has its SQL services disabled along side what appears to be my SQL2008 instance (MSDPM2010).

Upon inspecting the log files for the install, it looks as though the installer was cycling the SQL services of both instances and then came upon the error. Did I get the password for the existing services wrong? That is my guess.  If I try to launch the installer again, upon getting to the SQL screen the "check and install" button gives me an error.

So, what next? Am I safe to uninstall the SQL 2008 R2 and start over?  I believe that is my next step but I was hoping to confirm here.

Error from the log is:

[5/23/2012 2:30:01 PM] * Exception :  => DPM cannot connect to the Service Control Manager (SCM).To troubleshoot this issue, review the recent errors in the Windows Event Log.Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Exceptions.BackEndErrorException: Exception of type 'Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Exceptions.BackEndErrorException' was thrown.
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Helpers.PrerequisitesHelper.ChangeServiceConfiguration(String machineName, String service, String userName, String password, Int32 startMode)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.PrerequisiteInstallation.SqlConfiguration.ConfigureServices()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.PrerequisiteInstallation.PrerequisiteInstaller.Configure()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.ProgressPage.ConfigureRequiredPrerequisites()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.ProgressPage.InstallerThreadEntry()
    *** Mojito error was: ServiceManagerConnectFailed; 1055; WindowsAPI

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 9:25 PM

All replies

• Hi

Yes, uninstall SQL 2008 R2 and start over.  The error is definetly related to Service Control Manger (SCM) the error 1055 = The service database is locked.

If you have any 3rd party services running I would stop and disable them until after the upgrade. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:03 AM