Windows Clustered Storage Spaces RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I am trying to create clustered storage spaces with 2 nodes(R710\Windows 2012 R2) and JBOD(SC280 + MD1200).  I created windows cluster and add both servers as cluster nodes. I see both servers can see the disks and also installed MPIO feature. I have all SAS drives 3.5 TB and 1 TB. 

1 -Should I create separate Clustered Storage Pool for 1 TB and 3.5 TB drive or just one storage pool with both density drive. I didn't find or missed any good best practice document.

2- Should I assign hot spare in storage Pool I believe in windows 2012 R2 Microsoft recommend allocation to be automatic  and not to assign hot spare

3-  Do I need to install cluster role inorder to have other servers to use this storage as ISCSI, NFS and SMB ?

Really appreciate everyone help

ad

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 8:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Here are my personal opinion of your questions:

1. Create separate pools for 1TB and 3.5 TB disks - when creating a virtual disk, it will automatically pick-up disks from a pool so if 1x1TB and 1x 3.5TB disks are both selected in creating a mirrored virtual disk, the 2.5TB space on 3.5TB disk is wasted (no more mirrored space is available on 1TB disk) - it will add more disks to fill the gap but still it is not the best result.

2. Automatic disks will be added automatically in creating a virtual disk so it will not work as hot spare - you will have to add more disks to fix a disk corrupted issue.

3. If you mean install cluster role on other servers, no you do not need to do this. Just add File Server role with NFS, iSCSI features on that cluster.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Adnan-Vohra Monday, March 9, 2015 2:50 PM
    Saturday, March 7, 2015 9:17 AM
  • Hello I am trying to create clustered storage spaces with 2 nodes(R710\Windows 2012 R2) and JBOD(SC280 + MD1200).  I created windows cluster and add both servers as cluster nodes. I see both servers can see the disks and also installed MPIO feature. I have all SAS drives 3.5 TB and 1 TB. 

1 -Should I create separate Clustered Storage Pool for 1 TB and 3.5 TB drive or just one storage pool with both density drive. I didn't find or missed any good best practice document.

2- Should I assign hot spare in storage Pool I believe in windows 2012 R2 Microsoft recommend allocation to be automatic  and not to assign hot spare

3-  Do I need to install cluster role inorder to have other servers to use this storage as ISCSI, NFS and SMB ?

1) and 2) already responded by Shaon...

3) Would be better to enable Scale-Out File Server role and use these servers as storage providers to Hyper-V layer. Run iSCSI, NFS & SMB3 (general-purpose use) and other services as a clustered VMs on that extra Hyper-V layer. 

Hyper-V Shared Nothing Cluster. Only two Hyper-V hosts needed.

Monday, March 9, 2015 1:41 PM

All replies

• anyone can please help ?

ad

Thursday, March 5, 2015 7:00 PM
  • Hi,

Here are my personal opinion of your questions:

1. Create separate pools for 1TB and 3.5 TB disks - when creating a virtual disk, it will automatically pick-up disks from a pool so if 1x1TB and 1x 3.5TB disks are both selected in creating a mirrored virtual disk, the 2.5TB space on 3.5TB disk is wasted (no more mirrored space is available on 1TB disk) - it will add more disks to fill the gap but still it is not the best result.

2. Automatic disks will be added automatically in creating a virtual disk so it will not work as hot spare - you will have to add more disks to fix a disk corrupted issue.

3. If you mean install cluster role on other servers, no you do not need to do this. Just add File Server role with NFS, iSCSI features on that cluster.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, March 7, 2015 9:17 AM

1) and 2) already responded by Shaon...

3) Would be better to enable Scale-Out File Server role and use these servers as storage providers to Hyper-V layer. Run iSCSI, NFS & SMB3 (general-purpose use) and other services as a clustered VMs on that extra Hyper-V layer. 

Hyper-V Shared Nothing Cluster. Only two Hyper-V hosts needed.

Monday, March 9, 2015 1:41 PM
  • there are two nodes or servers connected to the 2 JBODS. So I installed general file server cluster role for SMB and NFS shares to external servers and also installed ISCSI target server cluster role for ISCSI storage to external servers

ad

Monday, March 9, 2015 2:45 PM
  • Thanks for the reply I also enabled the Scale out File server role it just asked me the cluster name that was created in AD. How about the IP address ?

ad

Monday, March 9, 2015 2:49 PM