OneDrive Erased all IE 11 Favorites RRS feed

• Question

• I have a customer who had all their IE 11 Favorites erased on all computers by OneDrive.  This is the second time this has happened.  Computers are Windows 8.1 and 10.  I checked one of the computers, and sure enough they are gone.  I checked the registry, and the "Shell Folders" are pointed correctly.  Also any new Favorites are being stored properly.  Some posts have suggested right click on the Favorites folder, left clicking on Properties, and then the Restore tab.  There is no Restore tab.

Any way to recover the lost Favorites?

Any way to prevent this other than shutting down the OneDrive IE sync?

Michael

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 1:59 AM

Answers

• Where is File History? 

That's what W10 apparently calls it.  Win-i  File History.  I had to use it to fix similar messes in Edge.  And on my Surface RT I had to use its analog (whatever it's called there) to do the same kind of thing.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, March 19, 2016 8:01 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Any way to recover the lost Favorites?

File History?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 7:55 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Michael,

Based on your description, you mentioned OneDrive erased your IE Favorites, it made me very confused, for my experience, OneDrive cannot delete your Favorites since it didn’t have the similar function.

If you want to recover the lost Favorites, please refer to the link:

How to Restore Lost Favorites in Internet Explorer:

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/31564.aspx

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

We may follow this link to turn off OneDrive sync.

shutting down the OneDrive IE sync:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/matt-harrington/2014/04/18/how-to-disable-onedrive-file-syncing/

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 17, 2016 11:09 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Based on your description, you mentioned OneDrive erased your IE Favorites, it made me very confused, for my experience, OneDrive cannot delete your Favorites since it didn’t have the similar function.

If you want to recover the lost Favorites, please refer to the link:

How to Restore Lost Favorites in Internet Explorer:

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/31564.aspx

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

We may follow this link to turn off OneDrive sync.

shutting down the OneDrive IE sync:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/matt-harrington/2014/04/18/how-to-disable-onedrive-file-syncing/

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Hi Tao,

Thanks for the response.

I'm not the only one reporting this.  From the other posts on this subject, it appears to be a sync error in OneDrive.  Once OneDrive decides there are no Favorites, it erases the Favorites on all devices.

Recovery techniques listed in the link consist of (1) restoring from backup (none available), or (2) running System Restore.  Running System Restore is pretty risky, because now you are messing with other programs and drivers.

Michael

Saturday, March 19, 2016 6:33 PM
  • Any way to recover the lost Favorites?

File History?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Where is File History?  You mean Browsing History?

Michael

Saturday, March 19, 2016 6:34 PM
  • Where is File History? 

That's what W10 apparently calls it.  Win-i  File History.  I had to use it to fix similar messes in Edge.  And on my Surface RT I had to use its analog (whatever it's called there) to do the same kind of thing.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, March 19, 2016 8:01 PM
    Answerer