none
Fresh 2012 R2 Install: Error 4378 RRS feed

• Question

• New Windows 2012 server, new SQL 2008 R2 install, fully patched and running perfectly but as soon as I try to install DPM 2012 R2 I get Error 4378 when it begins to install, then the SetupDpm.exe process crashes. I've seen mention of SQL services needing to run as a domain user, which it has been from day 1, and to check that reporting services works okay (it does). I'm installing as the domain admin, running SQL as a domain admin, and both accounts are local admins of the server and members of the Distributed COM group on the local server. There is a lot of room on the drives, and I turned off UAC off completely.

Getting to my wit's end now, I've rebuilt the server three times with no success. The only thing I don't know is that a server in the past with the same name had DPM 2012 SP2 installed (was not properly removed), but the AD computer account has been deleted and recreated. To control for that I've installed a virtual machine with a different name on a different host and I had the same error.

The only two things I see in the log are two errors that aren't marked as being annoyed:

[1/2/2014 12:42:14 AM] *** Error : ReportingConfiguration.RemoveReportingConfigurations COnfiguration file path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.DPM\Reporting Services\ReportServer\RSReportServer.config

That appears several times before it seems to get past, but you'll see the last line is the final error before I get a crash report on the SetupDpm.exe process:

[1/2/2014 12:42:14 AM] *** Error : ReportingConfiguration.RemoveReportingConfigurations COnfiguration file path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.DPM\Reporting Services\ReportServer\RSReportServer.config
    [1/2/2014 12:42:14 AM] Information : Present Secure Connection Level:0
    [1/2/2014 12:42:14 AM] Information : Query WMI provider for path of configuration file for SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services.
    [1/2/2014 12:42:14 AM] Information : Querying WMI Namespace: \\admin1\root\Microsoft\SqlServer\ReportServer\RS_dpm\v10\admin for query: SELECT * FROM MSReportServer_ConfigurationSetting WHERE InstanceName='dpm'
    [1/2/2014 12:42:15 AM] Data : Path of configuration file for SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services = C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.DPM\Reporting Services\ReportServer\RSReportServer.config
    [1/2/2014 12:42:15 AM] Information : **************************************************************************************
    [1/2/2014 12:42:15 AM] Information : Deploy reports
    [1/2/2014 12:42:15 AM] Data : Path of configuration file of SQL Server Reporting Services = \\admin1\C$\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.DPM\Reporting Services\ReportServer\RSReportServer.config
    [1/2/2014 12:42:15 AM] Information : Starting Service:ReportServer$dpm on machine:admin1 flag restart:True
    [1/2/2014 12:42:18 AM] Information : Starting Service:ReportServer$dpm on machine:admin1 flag restart:True
    [1/2/2014 12:42:25 AM] Data : Source folder for reports (.rdl files) = C:\Users\administrator.RCG\AppData\Local\Temp\2\DPM7DA0.tmp\DPM2012\setup\DpmReports
    [1/2/2014 12:42:25 AM] *** Error : CurrentDomain_UnhandledException

And finally, I get an event in my application log, ID 1026 .NET Runtime:

Application: SetupDpm.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.IO.FileLoadException
    Stack:
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(System.Reflection.AssemblyName, System.String, System.Security.Policy.Evidence, System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark ByRef, IntPtr, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(System.Reflection.AssemblyName, System.Security.Policy.Evidence, System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark ByRef, IntPtr, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(System.Reflection.AssemblyName, System.Security.Policy.Evidence, System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark ByRef, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadFrom(System.String, System.Security.Policy.Evidence, Byte[], System.Configuration.Assemblies.AssemblyHashAlgorithm, Boolean, Boolean, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark ByRef)
       at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom(System.String)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.ReportingConfiguration.ConfigureReportingRenderingExtensions()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.BackEnd.DeployReports(System.String, Boolean, System.String, System.String, Boolean, System.String, System.String)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.DpmInstaller.DeployReports(Boolean, Boolean)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.ProgressPage.InstallerThreadEntry()
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Followed by an event ID 1000, Application Error:

Faulting application name: SetupDpm.exe, version: 4.2.1205.0, time stamp: 0x5226e038
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16451, time stamp: 0x50988aa6
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x000000000003811c
    Faulting process id: 0x978
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cf0785b296ab52
    Faulting application path: C:\Users\ADMINI~1.RCG\AppData\Local\Temp\2\DPM7DA0.tmp\DPM2012\Setup\SetupDpm.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 0c3a7495-7379-11e3-93f9-00e081c0b0b4
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Anyone have any ideas? I'm completely out, short of turning up a whole new domain and installing DPM just to see what happens. There are no other DPM servers running and there are no other backup tools installed on any servers. 

Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:13 AM

Answers

• So this is where it gets weird, but I've confirmed this three times today and every time it's turned out exactly the same. Using IE 8 and IE 10, MSDN uses the download manager to download DPM 2012 R2 from Microsoft. Using IE 11, it directly downloads the file. If I used the direct download link for DPM media, the install fails every time with the IO error. When I use the Microsoft File Transfer Manager, it works perfectly. You might want to check the file on your CDN to make sure it isn't corrupt, because I re-downloaded the file three times and every time it did not MD5 hash the same as the one from the transfer manager. Thanks for your help, Mike!
    • Marked as answer by J. Johnson Friday, January 3, 2014 4:35 AM
    Friday, January 3, 2014 4:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is a snippet of what a good DPMSetup.log looks like in your problem area.

[11/15/2013 11:56:27 AM] Information : Deploy reports
    [11/15/2013 11:56:27 AM] Data : Path of configuration file of SQL Server Reporting Services = \\WINB-DPM\C$\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS11.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer\RSReportServer.config
    [11/15/2013 11:56:27 AM] Information : Starting Service:ReportServer on machine:WINB-DPM flag restart:True
    [11/15/2013 11:56:32 AM] Information : Starting Service:ReportServer on machine:WINB-DPM flag restart:True
    [11/15/2013 11:56:35 AM] Data : Source folder for reports (.rdl files) = C:\Users\administrator.Contoso\AppData\Local\Temp\1\DPMBED6.tmp\DPM2012\setup\DpmReports
    [11/15/2013 11:56:35 AM] Data : Path of dll to invoke = C:\Users\administrator.Contoso\AppData\Local\Temp\1\DPMBED6.tmp\DPM2012\setup\DlsUILibrary.dll
    [11/15/2013 11:56:36 AM] Information : Set report rendering extensions in Reporting Services
    [11/15/2013 11:56:36 AM] Information : Set tracing level in Reporting Services
    [11/15/2013 11:56:36 AM] Information : Deploy reports

Based on your DPM log and Event message entry that says "Exception Info: System.IO.FileLoadException"  I'm thinking that we either cannot load the DlsUILibrary.dll, read the "RSReportServer.config" file, or we crash while parsing it.  Hard to say without looking at the SetupDpm.exe crash file to see why it's getting the exception. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 10:10 PM
  • Where can I find that crash file? I'll be happy to post it online if you like.

Additionally, just because all of this has been with the same ISO file, I'm re-downloading the ISO from MSDN now to make sure it isn't something wrong with the bits.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 10:25 PM
  • So this is where it gets weird, but I've confirmed this three times today and every time it's turned out exactly the same. Using IE 8 and IE 10, MSDN uses the download manager to download DPM 2012 R2 from Microsoft. Using IE 11, it directly downloads the file. If I used the direct download link for DPM media, the install fails every time with the IO error. When I use the Microsoft File Transfer Manager, it works perfectly. You might want to check the file on your CDN to make sure it isn't corrupt, because I re-downloaded the file three times and every time it did not MD5 hash the same as the one from the transfer manager. Thanks for your help, Mike!
    • Marked as answer by J. Johnson Friday, January 3, 2014 4:35 AM
    Friday, January 3, 2014 4:35 AM