LYNC Client over DA/UAG RRS feed

• Question

• Our MS lync clients dont work over UAG.  I can resolve the internal Lync server address in DNS, Browse the Lync server shares, ping, and RDP to the server over DA but the clients dont connect.  What in UAG would prevent this communication?

Saturday, May 7, 2011 3:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

This is not UAG preventing this communication, this is Lync 2010 not being IPv6-capable. With DirectAccess, the client software needs to be able to use IPv6 (while the server side does not necessarily require that, as it may use IPv4 and UAG will perform the necessary translation). Currently, Lync 2010 does not support IPv6, and therefore it does not work over DA.

Hopefully, your Lync 2010 deployment includes a Lync Edge server. If it does, then you can configure your clients' NRPT with an additional exemption, in order to exclude your Lync Edge server from being resolved for DirectAccess. This will cause the Lync Edge server name to be resolved by the "regular" DNS server, which means it will be resolved as an IPv4 address, which the Lync 2010 client supports. For more information, please see this blog article: Split-Brain DNS: Configuring DirectAccess for Office Communications Server (OCS)

Regards,

-Ran
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Monday, May 9, 2011 11:37 PM
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 8:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Monday, May 9, 2011 11:37 PM
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 9:56 PM
  • I've noted that Screen Sharing does not work over DirectAccess even with the exlusions in place for the Edge Server (not lync, but the older architecture).  Is this working with Lync yet?
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:28 PM
  • We have used that feature in OCS and now Lync on our DirectAccess clients - are you sure you have defined the external URLs correctly in OCS/Lync and these are in the NRPT exemptions?

DA should have no effect on any of the Edge feature set on a DA client with the correct NRPT exclusions...maybe time for network monitor to check what the communicator client is actually doing ;)

Cheers

JJ

Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd | My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:53 PM