WSUS SQL Database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I still pretty new to the WSUS Database setup. I have a few question which I rather confuse. Need some explanation or guidance on the setup.

Setup

I have 1 WSUS server and 1 SQL Database server (Clustering server)

During WSUS server setup I have Store Update to Local D:\WSUSDB 

Specify an existing database server I have point it to SQL Database\mysqlserver

It created a folder SUSDB in SQL Database.

Question

WSUS Server is Offline. I use another WSUS server to download the patches using Express download.

and import into the offline WSUS server D:\WSUSDB. How do I know if my SQL database will pull the D:\WSUSDB to SUSDB?

What is the correct procedure to go about. Currently the update is taking up 150GB of space in my WSUS D:\WSUSDB

Appreciate your guidance and advise

Thank & regards

MelvinC

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 8:26 AM

Answers

• in addition to copying the content of the data into D:\WSUSDB from your online server, you also need to export and import the metadata using wsusutil.exe - it's pretty well documented.  this is what writes everything into the database.  if you open your wsus console and see the new updates available on the offline server then it means you were successful
    • Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Wednesday, June 24, 2015 6:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Melvin_C Friday, June 26, 2015 1:10 AM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2015 2:58 PM
  • Hi,

>> I use another WSUS server to download the patches using Express download.

Please make sure that the options for express installation files and languages on the exporting server match the settings on the importing server.

For detailed information about how to setup a disconnected WSUS server, please refer to the link below,

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720486(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 6:38 AM
  • Hi,

>>Am I right to said that what ever the downloaded content is D:\WSUSDB will be copy over to my SQLDB (SUSDB) is located in another server?

Content folder contains the updates files and SUSDB contains the metadata. They are different things.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Melvin_C Tuesday, June 30, 2015 4:22 PM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2015 2:03 AM
  • easiest way is to use robocopy

windows backup does exist in 2012 R2 but it's a bit more complicated than ntbackup was

you can also use any 3rd party applications to back up the contents directory or use a zip application to package it for moving it into an offline server as long as you retain the tree structure. one important thing is to not replace NTFS permissions in your destination location upon restore, let it inherit the existing permissions

• Marked as answer by Melvin_C Friday, July 3, 2015 3:53 AM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2015 5:03 PM

All replies

• in addition to copying the content of the data into D:\WSUSDB from your online server, you also need to export and import the metadata using wsusutil.exe - it's pretty well documented.  this is what writes everything into the database.  if you open your wsus console and see the new updates available on the offline server then it means you were successful
    • Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Wednesday, June 24, 2015 6:38 AM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2015 2:58 PM
  • Hi,

>> I use another WSUS server to download the patches using Express download.

Please make sure that the options for express installation files and languages on the exporting server match the settings on the importing server.

For detailed information about how to setup a disconnected WSUS server, please refer to the link below,

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720486(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 6:38 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I have done the method you have mention. My WSUS office server is point to another SQL server. Am I right to said that what ever the downloaded content is D:\WSUSDB will be copy over to my SQLDB (SUSDB) is located in another server? Please advise on this

Thank & regards

MelvinC

melvin

Friday, June 26, 2015 1:13 AM
  • Hi,

>>Am I right to said that what ever the downloaded content is D:\WSUSDB will be copy over to my SQLDB (SUSDB) is located in another server?

Content folder contains the updates files and SUSDB contains the metadata. They are different things.

Best Regards.

• Marked as answer by Melvin_C Tuesday, June 30, 2015 4:22 PM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2015 2:03 AM
  • Dear Steven,

Got it. Thank you for the teaching.

Thanks & regards

MelvinC

melvin

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 4:25 PM
  • Dear Steven,

Referring to the link given earlier. I try to do a backup of the content understood that ntbackup does not exist in server 2012R2. Can I copy the download update patches and just copy it into a offline WSUS server? Look forward to your reply

Thanks & regards

MelvinC

melvin

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 4:30 PM
  • easiest way is to use robocopy

windows backup does exist in 2012 R2 but it's a bit more complicated than ntbackup was

you can also use any 3rd party applications to back up the contents directory or use a zip application to package it for moving it into an offline server as long as you retain the tree structure. one important thing is to not replace NTFS permissions in your destination location upon restore, let it inherit the existing permissions

• Marked as answer by Melvin_C Friday, July 3, 2015 3:53 AM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2015 5:03 PM
  • Dear Armin19,

Thank you for the guidance.

Regards

MelvinC

melvin

Friday, July 3, 2015 3:54 AM