. fla extension RRS feed

• Question

• I have a lot of flac music files I encoded using Nero. They have a file extension of .fla rather then .flac.
     No application in Windows 7 will recognize them. Yet when I switch to Windows XP, which I used to rip them using Nero, all media players play all .fla files including Windows Media Player. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:07 PM

All replies

• I have a lot of flac music files I encoded using Nero. They have a file extension of .fla rather then .flac.
     No application in Windows 7 will recognize them. Yet when I switch to Windows XP, which I used to rip them using Nero, all media players play all .fla files including Windows Media Player. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    here's a link that might help ya http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/fla I hope it does :)

Experience is Use/Knowledge and understanding that Use/Knowledge is the key to Experience. -JJTech
    Windows 7 RC: Remember now this OS is not final and is Subject to all kinds of things that can very on different hardware. -JJTech

My System:
    OS: Windows 7 RC Built-7100 64Bit, Mobo: Gigabyte Socket:AM2 GA-M61P-S3, CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core +6000 @ 3.10GHZ, Ram: Kingston 2x2GB PC6400 DDR2, GFX: Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 3870, SFX: Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:57 PM
  • If you know it's a flac file,why don't you just rename the extension to .flac?

are you sure you have all your codecs installed?
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:59 AM
  • Well, the problem is Windows 7 says it is an .fla file.
    I also have many .flac files and Windows 7 plays them fine.
    Nero says .fla and .flac are the same, and when it encodes to .flac, it names it .fla for some reason.
     As I said, even though they are named .fla, in my Windows XP, which has the same codecs as I installed in Windows 7, they play fine.

I can't find a way to change the file extension .fla to .flac in Windows 7. Anyone know how?
    I cant just rename the file, that does not change the extension.

To make matters worse, the .fla extension is also used by Adobe.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 11:52 AM