Word 2007 cannot open or save any files RRS feed

• Question

• I have a customer who is experiencing a problem I've never seen before. She is running Windows XP Professional with Microsoft Office 2007 Professional. When she opens Word 2007 and tries to open a file by clicking on the "Orb" and then "Open" or the Open File icon on the toolbar the mouse cursor will flash for a millisecond, then nothing happens. If she goes to the Recent Documents list and clicks on a document listed there it will open. Also, if she uses Windows Explorer or clicks on the My Documents icon and double clicks the file it will open. However, if she ever manages to get the document open she cannot Save any changes. Clicking on the Orb and then Save, or Save As, or the Save icon on the toolbar gives the same cursor flash and then nothing happens. Now the really wierd thing is about 1 in 5 times I can get Word to open a document using the Open File feature and then it will let me makes changes and Save. Here is a short list of the things I've tried to diagnose the issue that did not fix it:

1. Installed updates for both Windows and Office using Microsoft Update
    2. Ran CCleaner to remove temporary files
    3. Ran scans for viruses/malware using Avast!, Malwarebytes, and HiJackThis (no malware found)
    4. Deleted the Word Data registry key (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Office\12.0\Word\Data)
    5. Completely uninstalled Microsoft Office, reboot computer, then reinstalled Office and updates
    6. Uninstalled Avast! Antivirus and Malwarebytes (no AV products at all running)
    7. Downloaded and ran the Microsoft Fixit tool from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541 disabled all Add-Ins in Word
    8. Created desktop shortcut to winword.exe using the /safe switch

I'm sure there are other things I've tried but those are the ones I can remember. I'm really trying to avoid doing a wipe/reinstall of Windows because this issue with Word is her ONLY problem. The computer otherwise performs fine for her needs. The problem doesn't occur with any other programs such as Excel or Powerpoint. They all function exactly like they should. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, March 23, 2012 4:39 PM

Answers

• I may have found a solution to the problem. After searching google for the strange command value I found in the registry I came across a site that had a reg file which claimed to fix the problem. I downloaded it and opened it in notepad. It seemed legit so I ran it and so far the problem has not returned! Just in case someone else encounters the same problem here are the contents of the reg file:

Taken from: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f57/word-2007-wont-open-existing-docx-files-268453.html

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx]
    "Content Type"="application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document"
    @="Word.Document.12"
    "PerceivedType"="document"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx\PersistentHandler]
    @="{D3B41FA1-01E3-49AF-AA25-1D0D824275AE}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx\ShellEx]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx\ShellEx\PropertyHandler]
    @="{993BE281-6695-4BA5-8A2A-7AACBFAAB69E}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx\ShellEx\{8895b1c6-b41f-4c1c-a562-0d564250836f}]
    @="{84F66100-FF7C-4fb4-B0C0-02CD7FB668FE}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{C41662BB-1FA0-4CE0-8DC5-9B7F8279FF97}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx\Word.Document.12]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx\Word.Document.12\ShellNew]
    "NullFile"=""
    If you copy and paste the code above into notepad and save it as wordfix.reg and then execute it, it will merge the above data with your registry. I can't say it will fix everyone (use at you're own discretion) but I think it has fixed my customer's problem.
    • Marked as answer by JEFF_TN Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:49 AM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Jeff,

I'd like to know how is everything going when run Word in the safe mode? Does this issue still occur?

Some other methods to try:

Method 1: Change the default printer to any other printer, e.g., Microsoft XPS Document Writer

Method 2: Check the Properties for the shortcut to Office, in theCompatibility, if "Run as administer" is checked, uncheck it.

Method 3: Open the Explorer, and navigate to the following folder, check if there is anything strange, rename the folder to see if it will be OK.

C:\Users\%username%\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\Startup

Method 4:

part a, open Excel, go to File > Options > Advanced > General section, make sure that "Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)" is not checked.

part b, open the registry and navigate to

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.Document.12\shell\Open\command]

Change the command value
    “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE” /n /dde
    to
    “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE” /n “%1”

Please note, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly, back up the registry before you modify it.

Method 5:

Run Windows in clean boot mode to determine if it could be caused by the 3rd-party services.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and markthe replies as answersif they help and unmarkthem if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Max Meng Monday, March 26, 2012 4:49 AM
    Monday, March 26, 2012 4:48 AM
  • Hello,

Did you solve the issue?

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:06 AM
  • Hi Max, thanks for the reply. Here are the results of your suggestions:

"I'd like to know how is everything going when run Word in the safe mode?" When I execute Word in safe mode using the /safe switch (still in normal mode Windows) the problem still exists the same as it does when I execute Word the normal way.

Method 1:

I changed the default printer to Microsoft XPS writer and the problem still occured

Method 2:

The next question you asked relates to Windows 7 I think and she has Windows XP Pro. The "Run as Administrator" option was not available.

Method 3:

The folder C:\Users\%username%\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\Startup does not exist. However, I looked in "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP" and the folder was empty. Although I'm not sure if that is the correct folder to look in.

Method 4:

I also looked at the options in Excel. "Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)" was NOT checked.

Method 4 part b:

When I opened the registry and browsed to [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.Document.12\shell\Open\command] there were two items there:

(Default) | "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE" /n /dde

command | vUpAV5!!!!!!!!!MKKSkWORDFiles>tW{~$4Q]c@5d1`,xaTO5 /n /dde

The value of command really alarmed me. So I changed both of them to the value you that you suggested. I rebooted the computer and the very first time I opened Word everything worked fine. I closed Word and re-opened it to check again and the problem came right back. Just in case, I opened regedit again and verified that the changes I made had not reverted to the strange value before. Another thing worth noting was that command was a Multi-String Key. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be but for some reason that seemed strange to me.

Method 5:

I restarted the computer in Safe Mode and problem was still present.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I've been an IT Pro for many years and this is one of the more elusive issues I've seen. Even though it seems to only be an issue with Word it's very disruptive to her job. I hope we can figure this out soon before I have to take drastic measures and wipe her computer.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:33 PM
  • No not yet
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:33 PM
  • I may have found a solution to the problem. After searching google for the strange command value I found in the registry I came across a site that had a reg file which claimed to fix the problem. I downloaded it and opened it in notepad. It seemed legit so I ran it and so far the problem has not returned! Just in case someone else encounters the same problem here are the contents of the reg file:

Taken from: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f57/word-2007-wont-open-existing-docx-files-268453.html

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx]
    "Content Type"="application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document"
    @="Word.Document.12"
    "PerceivedType"="document"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx\PersistentHandler]
    @="{D3B41FA1-01E3-49AF-AA25-1D0D824275AE}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx\ShellEx]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx\ShellEx\PropertyHandler]
    @="{993BE281-6695-4BA5-8A2A-7AACBFAAB69E}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx\ShellEx\{8895b1c6-b41f-4c1c-a562-0d564250836f}]
    @="{84F66100-FF7C-4fb4-B0C0-02CD7FB668FE}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{C41662BB-1FA0-4CE0-8DC5-9B7F8279FF97}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx\Word.Document.12]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx\Word.Document.12\ShellNew]
    "NullFile"=""
    If you copy and paste the code above into notepad and save it as wordfix.reg and then execute it, it will merge the above data with your registry. I can't say it will fix everyone (use at you're own discretion) but I think it has fixed my customer's problem.
    • Marked as answer by JEFF_TN Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:49 AM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:49 AM
  • Jeff, I feel a little foolish, but I executed that wordfix.reg solution without really using discretion.  My symptoms were identical, and everything 'except for my OS is Windows 7' was the same.  Now the behavior is a little bizarre.  Not only does Word still not save files, all Word windows flash on/off extremely fast.  I have to shut down through task manager.  How do you undo a reg file?  Also, any other ideas besides the wordfix, which didn't work in my case.  Thanks.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 3:00 AM