none
highlight filter not working in master plan RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been experimenting with macros (on another thread) to highlight row text based on an input to custom task 11 with varing results. In the mean time i thought I would use a higlight filter until i can get help to finish the macro from you lovely people on here.

The problem i now face is that my highlight filter seems to work fine on stand alone projects but when applied to master projects it doesnt work. The highlight only highlights the masterplan's project summary task. If i apply the same highlight filter as a normal filter it works, very puzzling!

What am i doing wrong here or is it normal for project to do this?

Regards

Steve

• Edited by Steve.D.H Tuesday, August 14, 2012 12:37 PM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 12:37 PM

Answers

• Steve,

Okay, I entered a text value  ("placeholder") into Text11 for several tasks (master project summary task and various tasks in each subproject). I then created a new highlight filter to look for all tasks in the master that contained the text value. The highlight filter correctly highlighted all the tasks with the text value. If I apply that filter as a normal filter it will only show those tasks that have Text11 showing "placeholder".

I then tried both a normal and highlight filter on one of the individual subprojects. Again the "placeholder" tasks are highlighted or selected.

So, from my testing everything works as expected. I must be missing something in your process. Is this a dynamic master?

John

• Marked as answer by Steve.D.H Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:33 PM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 8:04 PM
  • Steve,

So, there was more to the story. I don't really know whether the highlight filter takes precedence over custom formatting. I would guess it does not. At any rate, to clear all formatting in Project 2010, go to Task/Editing group/clear/clear formatting.

John

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:06 PM

All replies

• Steve,

I just tried the highlight filter (critical) on a dynamic master under Project 2010 with SP-1. It works fine. All the critical tasks are highlighted. So, tell us more. For example what exactly do you mean by "custom task 11"?

John

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:47 PM
  • John

As a test I had inserted a column, custom task field "text11" into a master plan and into its sub projects then through the master plan entered the text "placeholder" to some random tasks & left the rest blank. I then created a filter (in the master plan, which i also applied to the sub projects) to search out tasks containing "placeholder" in custom task field "text11".

This worked fine as a Filter but did not as a Highlight Filter. For example as a filter it would remove all tasks not containing the text "placeholder" in text11. As a highlight filter it would only highlight the master plan project summary task (which had the text entered into it) and nothing else. If i run the filter on the sub projects opened independently from the master they both work as expected.

Regards

Steve

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:07 PM
  • John,

I have just tried this once more with new blank projects & it seems to work fine so i imagine it is something to do with the font setting in the master plan over writting the highlighting?

Is there a quick way to reset any font adjustments to default in a project?

Regards

Steve

• Edited by Steve.D.H Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:19 PM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:18 PM
  • Steve,

Okay, I entered a text value  ("placeholder") into Text11 for several tasks (master project summary task and various tasks in each subproject). I then created a new highlight filter to look for all tasks in the master that contained the text value. The highlight filter correctly highlighted all the tasks with the text value. If I apply that filter as a normal filter it will only show those tasks that have Text11 showing "placeholder".

I then tried both a normal and highlight filter on one of the individual subprojects. Again the "placeholder" tasks are highlighted or selected.

So, from my testing everything works as expected. I must be missing something in your process. Is this a dynamic master?

John

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 8:04 PM
  • John,

Yes it is a dynamic master plan.

The previous master sub project i created with new blank projects works fine until i made a few manual changes to the font colours (as is happening by various users in the real dynamic master). For example after applying the highlight filter (which worked fine) I changed one of the rows manually to black text. I imagined the filter would overwrte the manual font change but it does not. I went back to this row and returned it to automatic, but still nothing doing! What is the method to return all fonts to default?

Regards

Steve

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:39 AM
  • Steve,

So, there was more to the story. I don't really know whether the highlight filter takes precedence over custom formatting. I would guess it does not. At any rate, to clear all formatting in Project 2010, go to Task/Editing group/clear/clear formatting.

John

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:06 PM
  • ok thanks John
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:33 PM
  • Steve,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:49 PM