OWA 2010 SP1 Email sent to OWA 2003 attachments missing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I Just upgraded our 2010 environment to SP1. We are currently staging the move to the 2010 from 2003. We just noticed that if we send an email from OWA 2010 to a users using OWA 2003 the attachment link is missing. It does shows the paperclip icon in the inbox.

Now if I sent from outlook 2010 to OWA 2003 the attachment is viewable. If I sent from OWA 2003 to OWA 2010 that attachment is viewable. If I sent from owa 2003 to owa 2003 the attachment if viewable.

Anyone else experiencing this or/and have any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks,

Rob

Monday, August 30, 2010 6:52 PM

Answers

• The workaround Microsoft gave me was to disable silverlight on the CA server. This will give the users in owa 2010 a different attachment dialog box.

Set-OwaVirtualDirectory -Identity "CAS_Server_Name\Owa (Default Web Site)" -SilverLightEnabled $False

restart IIS services

This might have to do until I get my 6000+ users switch over to 2010....

• Proposed as answer by Novak Wu Friday, September 3, 2010 1:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Richard Wang - MSFT Friday, September 10, 2010 8:03 AM
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 12:07 AM

All replies

• All attachments? Some?

Monday, August 30, 2010 11:12 PM
  • All attachments. The exchange 2003 is at SP2.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 11:30 AM
  • If you login to Outlook using the 2003 mailbox is the attachment viewable? Is it just missing in OWA? 

When sending the attachment from OWA 2010 to OWA 2003. In the OWA 2010 mailbox under Sent Items does the attachment appear?

MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2007/2010 | MCITP: Server Administrator | MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring | MCP | MCDST
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 12:01 PM
  • The attachment is viewable in the outlook client 2003. Its just missing in OWA.

Yes, the attachment does appear in send items in the owa 2010 mailbox.

This problem has only existed since I applied SP1 to 2010.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 12:23 PM
  • We discovered the exact same situation here this morning.

Additionally, even though opening the message in OWA 2003 shows no attachment, if you click Forward, you then see the attachment on the new form, and can even alt-click and open/save it.  (Being able to see the attachment when clicking Forward appears to only apply if using OWA Basic though.  Premium interface still does not show attachment even after hitting Forward.)

I am on the phone with Microsoft right now.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:32 PM
  • I've been on the phone with microsoft all day. Still haven't found a solution.

Jason, are you on SP1? You notice if this happen before upgrading to the SP?

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Try this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888624

we are not sure this is the fix. but it is worth a try.

Mitch Roberson |MCITP:Enterprise Server Admin, Messaging 2007, 2010 |MCTS:OCS with Voice Achievement |MCT |MCSE 2000\2003 |MCSE Messaging 2000\2003
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:39 PM
  • Jason and I are trying this we will let you know if it works. Actually Jason is trying this.
    Mitch Roberson |MCITP:Enterprise Server Admin, Messaging 2007, 2010 |MCTS:OCS with Voice Achievement |MCT |MCSE 2000\2003 |MCSE Messaging 2000\2003
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:39 PM
  • Isnt that a 2003 post SP1 hotfix? I would assume SP2 would have it already.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:48 PM
  • Andy is correct. When I try to install the hotfix I get the "You can install this update on Service Pack 1 Only".
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:11 PM
  • Yeah, that won't fly.  Not sure if would help just to reapply SP2, but I'm not going to try that on customer's production environment.

We've also sent from OWA 2010 to external 2003 org where user opened test message using OWA...  It worked fine.

And sent from external 2010 org using OWA to internal 2003 mailbox where we opened the message using OWA...  Again worked just fine.

So far, can only reproduce when sent within this local org.

Did find one exception though so far...  If I send using IE8 on XP, all is well.  Anywhere else I use IE8 from, we have the issue.  Microsoft collected and compared the good message with the bad one and sees a difference in Content-ID header.  Need to figure out why.

Computer

IE version used to send

Result

Me (Win 7)

fail

Me (Win XP #1)

pass

Me (Win XP #2)

pass

XenApp (Win Srv 2008 SP2)

fail

Sam (Win 7)

8.0.????.?????

fail

Microsoft

?

fail

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:52 PM
  • we have determined this is only happening internally. if you are sending to an outside organization that is on 2003 everything works fine. We are doing more testing tonight. to see if we can narrow this down. We have also played with Security settings in i.e. just in case and that does not seem to have any affect.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:58 PM
  • The workaround Microsoft gave me was to disable silverlight on the CA server. This will give the users in owa 2010 a different attachment dialog box.

Set-OwaVirtualDirectory -Identity "CAS_Server_Name\Owa (Default Web Site)" -SilverLightEnabled $False

restart IIS services

This might have to do until I get my 6000+ users switch over to 2010....

• Proposed as answer by Novak Wu Friday, September 3, 2010 1:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Richard Wang - MSFT Friday, September 10, 2010 8:03 AM
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 12:07 AM
  • Rob, the support person working your case sent me the same suggestion and I just finished testing.  Appears to have resolved the issue for us.
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 1:20 AM
  • What version of silverlight do the clients have? By disabling Silverlight on the OWA vDir you go back to the old way of attaching files. As a test you may want to re-enable Silverlight on the OWA vDir then uninstall/reinstall Silverlight on the client and see if that makes any difference.
    Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server
    My posts are provided “AS IS” with no guarantees, no warranties, and they confer no rights.
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 2:12 AM
  • Also, we discovered that BlackBerry Enterprise Server suffers from the same issue.  In our testing, we found that a message, with attachment, sent from OWA 2010 to a BlackBerry user’s mailbox would result in their BlackBerry device not showing any sign of an attachment on the message, even though the attachment was visible within Outlook.  This was also the case in tests where message was sent to an Exchange 2007 organization.  OWA 2007 showed the attachment just fine, but it was not shown on the BlackBerry device.  After setting -SilverLightEnabled $False, subsequent tests OWA 2010 to a BlackBerry user were successful.
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 2:27 AM
  • So we have been doing some extensive testing and this affects Blackberry devices as well so with out the fix we sent a test message from owa 2010 to Exchange 2003 user with Blackberry that is not part of our system at all. We also sent one to a user on Exchange 2007 with blackberry. The blackberry users did not recieve the attachments either. once we turned off silverlight and sent the message with the same attachment they recieved the attachment. so this same problem affects blackberry's as well.

the difference is that 2010 owa -> owa 2003 with attachment in same company does not work when silverlight is on

2010 owa -> 2003 user with blackberry with an attachment in different org. attachment goes to OWA but not to Blackberry

2010 owa -> 2007 user with blackberry with an attachment in different org. Attachment goes to OWA but not to blackberry

apply above fix all scenarios work.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 2:30 AM
  • Final answer from microsoft:

Our Messaging Escalations team has determined this to be a flaw in the way Exchange 2003 chooses whether or not to display attachments in Outlook Web Access.  Since Exchange 2003 is in extended support, only security related hotfixes can be requested without an Extended Hotfix Support Agreement.  There is no code fix planned for this legacy version of Exchange Server.

Your only workaround remains to keep Silverlight disabled and hasten your migration off of Exchange Server 2003.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:04 PM
  • This also affects CDOEX application running under Exchange 2003.

I have a legacy CDOEX application that iterates file attachments for processing. Any attachment sent from Exchange 2010 OWA fail to appears in the "Attachments" collection of the CDOEX ADODB recordset. The Envelope metadata shows that is had an attachment ( hasAttachments  == true ) but the collection count is 0. 

From a developer standpoint, I don't see how some web 2.0 candy like Silverlight is causing the attachment to fail to de-serialize further down the message change. There really should be no difference in attaching a file via Outlook ( heavy client ) or OWA, at least behind the scene in the message store. 

If 2003 wasn't so far out of support and if we weren't in the process of migrating to a new EWS based solution, I'd argue this point with MS Support. This bug smells fishy.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 4:13 PM
  • I like to add that Exchange 2010 SP1 rollup 1 breaks the silverlightenabled option in OWA. Although it is false the attachment feature still uses silverlight which brings this problem back.......

Monday, November 15, 2010 3:27 PM
  • I have been trying to find this answer for ages.  Got part way there and un installed and reinstalled silverlight - now 2010 OWA will not work at all!  Ideas?

..> Fixed OWA and now working again (attachments still a problem) see:-

..> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrmigration/thread/66aa3fe8-a7c9-428c-8ccd-56d6523b6604

Monday, February 7, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Microsoft has just upgraded our Live@Edu service to Exchange 2010 and now our students can no longer send emails with attachments to our staff who are on Exchange 2003 on-premise because of this issue. As far as I can tell, there is no way to use this disablesilverlight option for Live@Edu. Are there any alternatives without trying to upgrade Exchange 2003 in the middle of an academic year?

Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:38 PM
  • Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:08 AM
  • I like to add that Exchange 2010 SP1 rollup 1 breaks the silverlightenabled option in OWA. Although it is false the attachment feature still uses silverlight which brings this problem back.......

RobFC said this in November and as far as I can tell with my testing this is STILL the case and there is no solution to the problem!

Friday, April 15, 2011 8:05 AM
  • Hi All,

I have the same problem, the pdf file doesn't show on OWA 2003 when they are sent by Exchange 2010, but the version of my exchange 2010 is without SP 1, it's only rollup 4.

I tried to apply the article but the option -SilverLightEnabled is not recognized:

"A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '-SilverLightEnabled'." 

At the moment, I cannot update to the exchange 2010 SP1.

Do you have any idea to solve this issue?

Regards,

Nunzio P

Monday, April 18, 2011 4:24 PM
  • Sorry,

My scenarious is different. I have the problem only with the forwarded e-mail whit an attachment that is in HTML format. If i forward the e-mail as RTF i can see the attached file in OWA 2003. 

If I send a new e-mail with the attachment I can see the file always.

any suggestion was appreciated.

Thanks,

Nunzio P.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:12 PM
  • I have the same problem here, and I'm not getting anywhere with support (they've offered the same solutions as what's listed on this page).

Sorry but I find it to be unacceptable that Microsoft isn't making some kind of hotfix for this, regardless of what level of support is left for 2003.  Obviously there are still a number of business using it still.  We are intending to upgrade to 2010 within the next year, but the whole idea was to move students to Live@EDU first so we wouldn't have to worry about them during the 2010 upgrade, and then that way we could focus on (read: take our time) migrating our staff to 2010.  Now it looks like we may have to rush things a bit more...I only wish this had come up during our testing phase, or that the people at Live@EDU were a little more vocal about problems like these (in all the phone calls we've had with them about a shared 2003/2010 environment, this never came up).

Monday, January 2, 2012 7:17 AM
  • Did you manage to get a resolution for this ?

I have the same problem, ( Staff cannot receive attachments in outlook web access  exchange 2003 from ive@Edu students )

Thanks

Monday, February 6, 2012 4:46 PM
  • No, sorry this is a 'Feature'!!  We had to bite the bullett and upgrade everything to 2010 level.  For you that means fully Live@edu or partly host mail on-site in Exchange 2010.  I decommissioned my Exchange 2003 server moving all mail to 2010.  It works very well with Live@edu and there are loads of help that talks about this at Microsoft,
    Monday, February 6, 2012 7:04 PM
  • I have the same problem.  Been in contact with Microsoft and they advised updating to the latest and greatest on 2010- so we did- we are at SP2 RU2, but the problem still persists.  Also, someone said above that Outlook 2011, send in plain text- that does not work for us.  We did disable Silverlight, which solves attachments sent from OWA.  Problem still persists with Outlook 2011.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 4:57 PM
  • I have the same problem and cannot find any solution :-(

Schalk V

Thursday, May 2, 2013 9:28 AM