Problem with windows 7 login BEFORE entering password- 15 second delay before typing registers RRS feed

• Question

• I have done a lot of google searching prior to writing this so if this is common knowledge I apologize.

Anytime I start up windows 7 64bit ultimate on my laptop I experience a delay of 15 seconds (measured exactly with a stopwatch) between the time the password box pops up until the system registers that I am typing.  I can move around the mouse normally throughout this period using the built in trackpad. The laptop does not have a "memory" of the keys pressed during the 15 second delay, it just picks up the new characters typed after the delay is over.  After this period of delay it registers every keystroke and has no more delays or issues.  I have the default background selected at this time- this is not related to the best of my knowledge to the solid-color background issue.

I recently re-installed my system from scratch as I installed a SSD.  The delay was not present initially, but after installing all microsoft updates it is now present.

Thanks for your help.  If there is any more information required to help please let me know.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Since the issue didn’t occurs with Safe Mode, and the issue appear after installing update, that’s hard to determine which update package cause the issue. Please make a system restore to see the result.

If it doesn’t work, try to perform an in-place upgrade for test:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:23 AM
    Friday, June 24, 2011 1:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please logon with Safe Mode or Clean Boot to see if the same issue occurs.

Update all hardware drivers and BIOS to the latest version.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 8:00 AM
  • How about sleeping instead of rebooting?

Friday, June 17, 2011 3:00 PM
  • So update: It does not happen when the computer awakens from sleeping. Also I noticed after my last update from Microsoft that the computer made updates to the registry before allowing me to log on. after these registry changes were made it allowed me to log straight in with now delay. Unfortunately i initially believed this was because maybe somehow the registry changes had fixed it, but as it turns out upon restarting again the delay is still there. I therefore assume that whatever delay is present must have counted down during the registry updates. I will also try in safe mode and post back with what I learn. I appreciate the assistance!
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:17 AM
  • I booted the computer into safe mode as well as a clean boot. I did not measure the time of delay, but it seemed to be present for the 15 second duration same as normal boot-up. Also the drivers and bios are up to date per windows update and HP's website- they have no windows 7 drivers for my particular laptop- HP dv2700- so I rely on windows update for them, but the bios version is up to date per newest revision on HP's site. Thanks again. Any assistance is appreciated.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:31 AM
  • safe mode boot and clean boot were done separately
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:31 AM
  • Hi,

Since the issue didn’t occurs with Safe Mode, and the issue appear after installing update, that’s hard to determine which update package cause the issue. Please make a system restore to see the result.

If it doesn’t work, try to perform an in-place upgrade for test:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:23 AM
    Friday, June 24, 2011 1:08 AM
  • I will try this. I also apologize for any confusion- the delay DID occur in safe boot
    Friday, June 24, 2011 1:51 AM