none
How to get Status of tasks in a schedule RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to Project online and trying to configure it to manage IT Projects.

I would like to find a way to report for each task in a schedule whether it is on time or late.

Is it possible to add a field in a schedule for the resource to update the actual start and finish?

I see it is possible to add custom fields to Tasks in projects that are SharePoint Lists as opposed to Enterprise... but I am not sure it affects the schedule?

Is there a way to do this for the Enterprise type projects? How do I get the actual start and finish dates for a task so that I can report on the Health/ Status?

or are there other ways to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Sunday, November 26, 2017 3:56 AM

All replies

• PJewnath --

As you have now discovered, learning to set up and use Project Online is not intuitive.  This is why most of the people in this user forum recommend that you enlist the services of a capable Project Partner to assist you.

Anyway, Microsoft Project and Project Online already have a field that tells you whether a task is late or not.  The field is called Finish Variance.  If this field contains a positive number, that number reflects the number of days late the task currently is against its original baseline.  You MUST baseline your project before you begin tracking progress so that the information in this field will be relevant to you.

If you have your team members use the Timesheet page in Project Web App to enter their time and task progress, Project Online will automatically figure out the Actual Start date and Actual Finish date for each team member assigned to tasks in your projects.  If you are using the Tasks page instead, with a simpler method of tracking such as % of Work Complete, then your application administrator will need to add the Actual Start and Actual Finish fields to the My Assignments view for Tasks.  In fact, this is a best practice I recommend for organizations that use either the % of Work Complete or Actual Work Done and Work Remaining methods of tracking progress.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Sunday, November 26, 2017 6:47 PM
  • In addition to Dale's excellent reply, it is worth reviewing the Status field in MS Project, as that will tell you which tasks are on schedule etc.  There are even reports in MS Project which will show you late and slipping tasks.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Monday, November 27, 2017 8:32 AM
  • Thank you, Dale.

If I choose the option of using the Tasks page, is there a way to get the tasks from the schedule automatically in the Task view so that the actual start and finish can be updated?

Also I was trying to see how to add the Actual Start and Actual Finish fields to the My Assignments view, but not seeing where to do it. In my Task view I am seeing Task Name, Duration, Start, Finish, %Complete, Work and Resource names. 

I am in a group called PWA Administrator. Will this give me access to add the Actual Start and Actual Finish fields?

Thanks.

Monday, November 27, 2017 2:07 PM
  • PJ --

When you create a schedule in Project Online, either in Microsoft Project Professional or PWA, you need to assign resources to tasks and then you need to publish the schedule.  The action of publishing the schedule will allow team members to use the Tasks page to see the tasks to which they are assigned, and then to update them with actual progress.

To edit the My Assignments view, you need to navigate to the PWA Settings page and then to click the Manage Views link.  In the My Work section of the page, you will see the My Assignments view.  Click on the My Assignments link and you will be able to edit the view as needed.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, November 27, 2017 2:51 PM