WSUS service failure and uninstall error 0x80070643 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I recently had a drive fail in a RAID 1 array on a Windows Server 2008 Standard SP2 domain controller. The drive was replaced and the array successfully rebuilt the drive. Our domain comprises a Win2k8 DC (which WSUS is installed on), a W2k3 DC, a W2k8 Storage Server and various W2k, Win XP, Vista and W7 clients.

WSUS3 SP2 is installed on this computer and had been working fine. After the drive was rebuilt WSUS stopped working. WSUS is organised as follows:

The drive is divided into 3 partitions. C: contains the program files, D: contains the WSUS database and update files. E: is a system recovery partition.

After the drive was rebuilt I had a problem connecting to the WSUS console. I am logged on using the domain administrator account. I restarted the server last night in the hope that it would solve this issue. After restarting, the problem persists. When I start Windows Server Update Services from Administrative Tools the centre pane shows a large red X and 'Error: Connection Error'. The option to 'Reset Server Node' results in the same error. The error, available from 'Copy Error to Clipboard' is:

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API.

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.

The WSUS administration console has encountered an unexpected error. This may be a transient error; try restarting the administration console. If this error persists,

Try removing the persisted preferences for the console by deleting the wsus file under %appdata%\Microsoft\MMC\.

System.IO.IOException -- The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format.

Source
    System

Stack Trace:
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte[] buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendBlob(Byte[] incoming, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
       at System.Net.TlsStream.CallProcessAuthentication(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Net.TlsStream.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult result)
       at System.Net.TlsStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.PooledStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.ConnectStream.WriteHeaders(Boolean async)
    ** this exception was nested inside of the following exception **

System.Net.WebException -- The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.

Source
    Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration

Stack Trace:
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy.CreateUpdateServer(Object[] args)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy.GetUpdateServer(String serverName, Boolean useSecureConnection, Int32 portNumber)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.AdminApiTools.GetUpdateServer(String serverName, Boolean useSecureConnection, Int32 portNumber)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.GetUpdateServer(PersistedServerSettings settings)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ConnectToServer()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ConnectToServerAndPopulateNode(Boolean connectingServerToConsole)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.OnExpandFromLoad(SyncStatus status)

The event logs show that the Update Services service started 7mins after the server was restarted. This is immediately followed by an event stating the Windows Update service had started. If fails soon after and is restared automatically twice to try to recover from the failure. 12 hours after the restart the Update Services service is still not running. It is set to Automatic (Delayed Start). The service is set to logon as 'Network Service'. The service can be manually started, but 'Resert Server Node' again results in the same error. After 4mins the service will stop. Event 7034 is logged:

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Service Control Manager
    Date:          31/08/2011 09:05:50
    Event ID:      7034
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      Phobos.htlincs.local
    Description:
    The Update Services service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 4 time(s).
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908D1-A6D7-4695-8E1E-26931D2012F4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7034</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-08-31T08:05:50.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>230471</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>Phobos.htlincs.local</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="param1">Update Services</Data>
        <Data Name="param2">4</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

IIS and SQL are running fine as far as I am aware. I also have Sophos Enterprise Console installed which uses SQL to store it's data and that is working fine.

After a bit of searching around the 'net I thought the easiest solution would be to uninstall WSUS, leave the database and update files in place and then re-install. I ran the uninstallation procedure from the Server Manager, but because the service is not running, and even after starting the service, uninstallation fails:

Windows Server Update Services: Removal failed
       Error: Attempt to un-install Windows Server Update Services failed with error code 0x80070643.  Fatal error during installation

I saw a reference to the online article located here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/sus/archive/2008/11/05/how-to-manually-remove-all-of-wsus.aspx but the article states it is out of date and I did not want to make a bad situation worse by following the instructions.

Can anyone help me with this, please. Ideally, I would like to be able to keep the updates as downloading them again will consume a substantial amount of our monthly allowance. However, if the best thing is to remove the entire installation, then I will ahppily go with that, too.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:52 AM

Answers

• What would you recommend I do next?

Copying the content folder was a protective effort; hopefully we won't need it again.

The next step is to get WSUS "uninstalled", but, as noted, there are no actual documented procedures for doing a forced uninstall on Windows Server 2008. There is an article in the WSUS Technical Reference which says to use Programs and Features to uninstall WSUS. That may work -- I've not personally tested this.

Obviously the preferable method is to remove the WSUS Role using Server Manager, but this may fail, possibly because of the dependencies on the Windows Internal Database feature and/or dependencies on reading from the database itself.

The TechRef article specifies to first uninstall the Windows Internal Database

msiexec /x {CEB5780F-1A70-44A9-850F-DE6C4F6AA8FB} callerid=ocsetup.exe

Then to uninstall WSUS using Program and Features.

So that would be my first suggestion, and let's see if that is successful for you, or not.

My second suggestion would be to try using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, as described in the previously discussed blog post, following that complete procedure to clean up the WSUS installation.

If you cannot obtain the WICU, then there is also a procedure using MSIZAP that may still be valid for Win2008Sp2 systems:

• Step 1: Run MSIZAP T {2C0D7E35-EE6E-4DC7-BA13-2C68AEDEB59D}.
    • Step 2: Run sc delete wsusservice.
    • Step 3: Run MSIZAP T {2C0D7E35-EE6E-4DC7-BA13-2C68AEDEB59D} again.
    • Step 4: Reboot.
    • Step 5: Run aspnet_iisreg -i.
    • Step 6: Run iisreset.

To confirm that WSUS is fully removed, check the following resources:

• In the registry the key HKML\Software\Microsoft\Update Services should be gone. Delete it if it's still there.
    • In the filesystem, the folder %ProgramFiles%\Update Services should be gone. Delete it if it's still there.
    • In the filesystem, the folder ~\WSUSContent\UpdateServicesDbFiles should be empty. Delete the SUSDB.mdf and SUSDB_log.ldf files if they are still there.

If any of the above resources were still present, reboot the server again.

Inspect Server Manager and ensure that the WSUS Role and the Windows Internal Database Feature are no longer listed as installed.

If the ftp site is trivial to reconstruct, then I would also recommend removing and rebuilding the WEB Server role.

Then select the WSUS Server Role for installation (and hopefully it does). (Also make note that if this server was configured as a WSUS client of itself, you will need to reconfigure it to be an AU client again. The easiest way to do this is:

1. Run gpupdate /force to reset the Policy Refresh timer.
    2. Change the registry value HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU "UseWUServer" to =0=. (This will make the system an AU client for at least the next hour.)
    3. Restart the Windows Update service (sc stop wuauserv; sc start wuauserv).
    4. Add the WSUS Server Role. (When the Group Policy refresh occurs 60-120 minutes later the machine will automatically revert back to being a WSUS client again.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2011)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    • Marked as answer by Mark-Blood Sunday, September 4, 2011 8:01 AM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:51 PM

All replies

• I recently had a drive fail in a RAID 1 array on a Windows Server 2008 Standard SP2 domain controller. The drive was replaced and the array successfully rebuilt the drive.

What specifically was on this array?

Was this the only array in the system, such that everything (all three volumes) were on this array?

My guess would be that when the drive failed, the filesystem suffered, and something got corrupted along the way - maybe even rebuilt incorrectly when the new drive was installed and the array rebuilt.

Ideally, I would like to be able to keep the updates as downloading them again will consume a substantial amount of our monthly allowance.

Keeping the update files is not a problem. Your challenge now is getting WSUS uninstalled, and the fact that it wouldn't uninstall is strong corroborating evidence that something else was corrupted as a result of the drive failure. My inclination is that the database is damaged, but until we clarify as to exactly how the drives/volumes are configured in this system, I'm only speculating.

First thing to do is to copy the \WSUSContent\* subfolders ('00' through 'FF') to a safe location.

With a corrupted database, there's no easy way to remove WSUS. The Blog Post you found is still functionally correct; it's been marked "out of date" because the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility is no longer available -- and to be honest, I don't think the WICU will work on Win2008 system anyway, because it has a newer versions of Windows Installer.

To complicate matters -- nobody has actually documented a "force removal" procedure for use on Windows Server 2008. If WSUS is using the installed instance of SQL Server on that machine (and not the Windows Internal Database), then much of the cleanup can be done by deleting files and registry keys, but the complication exists in the Windows Installer database.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:38 PM
  • Hi, Lawrence, thanks for responding.

The domain controller only has the single array, just two drives, RAID 1 (so just one physical drive is visible). The OS partition, a data partition and the recovery partition are all that exist on the computer on the mirrored drive.

I believe you are correct about further corruption as the drive had failed the week before with no indication of what the problem might have been - there was nothing logged in the event logs to indicate a cause. A reboot brought it back up. It permanently failed a week later.

I assume that WSUS was using the SQL server, but I don't know. When I installed the feature I accepted the default setup options. I see many events in the Application Log from Source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE Event 18456 so wonder if that is the WSUS database.

I will begin copying the files to a safe location (60GB).

Thanks again for the explanation and help.

Cheers!

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:14 PM
  • When I installed the feature I accepted the default setup options. I see many events in the Application Log from Source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE Event 18456 so wonder if that is the WSUS database.

That is the Windows Internal Database, and what WSUS uses by default unless configured otherwise, but WSUS is not the only app that can use the WID. It's also used by WSS, UDDI, WSRM, and ADRMS -- so if any of those services are installed they may have installed the WID. However, WSUS is the most likely user of the WID in most cases. Also, if any of those apps are installed - they may also have data corruption issues in their databases.

The Sophos console probably uses SQL Express, but if it's using SQL Server Standard Edition, you might consider placing the WSUS database there instead of the WID, so you can run one less database engine on that machine. Do not put WSUS in an instance of SQL Server Express Edition.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:00 PM
  • Thanks for the information, Lawrence

IIS runs the WSUS website and an FTP site. That is all. The FTP site can easily be taken down and rebuilt if required. So, no WSS (We do use WSS but it is located on the W2k3 server), and no UDDI that I am aware of as I know nothing about this apart from what I learnt from a web search. WSRM is not used. ADRMS is not used. Our domain setup is quite simple.

Sophos Enterprise uses a SQL2008 Express database. We do not have a full copy of SQL.

I have now copied the WsusContent folder to another server. What would you recommend I do next?

Thanks.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:35 AM
  • What would you recommend I do next?

Copying the content folder was a protective effort; hopefully we won't need it again.

The next step is to get WSUS "uninstalled", but, as noted, there are no actual documented procedures for doing a forced uninstall on Windows Server 2008. There is an article in the WSUS Technical Reference which says to use Programs and Features to uninstall WSUS. That may work -- I've not personally tested this.

Obviously the preferable method is to remove the WSUS Role using Server Manager, but this may fail, possibly because of the dependencies on the Windows Internal Database feature and/or dependencies on reading from the database itself.

The TechRef article specifies to first uninstall the Windows Internal Database

msiexec /x {CEB5780F-1A70-44A9-850F-DE6C4F6AA8FB} callerid=ocsetup.exe

Then to uninstall WSUS using Program and Features.

So that would be my first suggestion, and let's see if that is successful for you, or not.

My second suggestion would be to try using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, as described in the previously discussed blog post, following that complete procedure to clean up the WSUS installation.

If you cannot obtain the WICU, then there is also a procedure using MSIZAP that may still be valid for Win2008Sp2 systems:

• Step 1: Run MSIZAP T {2C0D7E35-EE6E-4DC7-BA13-2C68AEDEB59D}.
    • Step 2: Run sc delete wsusservice.
    • Step 3: Run MSIZAP T {2C0D7E35-EE6E-4DC7-BA13-2C68AEDEB59D} again.
    • Step 4: Reboot.
    • Step 5: Run aspnet_iisreg -i.
    • Step 6: Run iisreset.

To confirm that WSUS is fully removed, check the following resources:

• In the registry the key HKML\Software\Microsoft\Update Services should be gone. Delete it if it's still there.
    • In the filesystem, the folder %ProgramFiles%\Update Services should be gone. Delete it if it's still there.
    • In the filesystem, the folder ~\WSUSContent\UpdateServicesDbFiles should be empty. Delete the SUSDB.mdf and SUSDB_log.ldf files if they are still there.

If any of the above resources were still present, reboot the server again.

Inspect Server Manager and ensure that the WSUS Role and the Windows Internal Database Feature are no longer listed as installed.

If the ftp site is trivial to reconstruct, then I would also recommend removing and rebuilding the WEB Server role.

Then select the WSUS Server Role for installation (and hopefully it does). (Also make note that if this server was configured as a WSUS client of itself, you will need to reconfigure it to be an AU client again. The easiest way to do this is:

1. Run gpupdate /force to reset the Policy Refresh timer.
    2. Change the registry value HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU "UseWUServer" to =0=. (This will make the system an AU client for at least the next hour.)
    3. Restart the Windows Update service (sc stop wuauserv; sc start wuauserv).
    4. Add the WSUS Server Role. (When the Group Policy refresh occurs 60-120 minutes later the machine will automatically revert back to being a WSUS client again.

• Marked as answer by Mark-Blood Sunday, September 4, 2011 8:01 AM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Thanks a lot for the detailed instructions, Lawrence.

I will do this tomorrow when no one will be in the office and will post the results when I have finished.

I really appreciate your help.

Cheers!

Friday, September 2, 2011 7:33 AM
  • I have saved the logs and cmd output of the various commands and compressed them. PM me if you would like to see them (4MB).

I ran the command to remove the WID and that completed successfully. When I checked Programs and Features, WSUS was not listed, whereas it had been before (as WSUS SP2). I opened Server Manager and tried to remove the Role there but it failed with the same error as before. I saved the ServerManager.Log. Server Manager showed that WID was not installed.

Next I used the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility. WSUS was listed and was removed without any problem when I clicked the Remove button. I rebooted the server at this point and rechecked the Server Roles and WSUS was listed. I tried to remove the role via Server Manager which failed with the message 'Command-line Parameters Not Valid'. The WSUSSetup.Log showed the following:

2011-09-03 09:27:00  Error     MWUSSetup          Wsus 3.0 is not installed. The only possible setup actions are full install and console-only install (Error 0x80041453)

The Removal Report from Server Manager shows the following:

Windows Server Update Services

Windows Server Update Services: Removal failed

<Error>: Attempt to un-install Windows Server Update Services failed with error code 0x80041453. Exception from HRESULT: 0x80041453

Next I reverted to J.C. Horbeck's blog post. As expected the initial commands returned the following:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\administrator.HTLINCS>net stop wsusservice
    The Update Services service is not started.

C:\Users\administrator.HTLINCS>net stop wsuscertserver
    The WSusCertServer service is not started.

C:\Users\administrator.HTLINCS>sc delete wsusservice
    [SC] DeleteService SUCCESS

C:\Users\administrator.HTLINCS>sc delete wsuscertserver
    [SC] DeleteService SUCCESS

C:\Users\administrator.HTLINCS>net stop mssql$microsoft##ssee
    System error 1060 has occurred.

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

C:\Users\administrator.HTLINCS>sc delete mssql$microsoft##ssee
    [SC] OpenService FAILED 1060:

Section 8 of the Blog: MICROSOFT##SSEE was not present for a. or b. MSSQL.2005 was not present for c. I renamed the folder to data.old as described in d.

I rebooted the server again, but WSUS was still listed in Server Roles.

Next I used the MSIZAP commands you gave. These returned copious information which I saved. The commands comprised Searching... etc and ended with No product/patch data was found.

Next:
    C:\Users\administrator.HTLINCS>sc delete wsusservice
    [SC] OpenService FAILED 1060:

Ran MSIZAP again with the same results

Rebooted.

Step 5 failed with:
    'aspnet_iisreg' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

Step 6 ran successfully.

The reg key, the folder and the files were still present so I deleted them.

Rebooted.

Server Manager now showed that both WSUS and WID were not installed. I decided to leave the FTP site in place. I ran through the procedure you described to reconfigure the server as an AU client, then installed WSUS. The Add Roles Wizard showed Downloading, then Configuring.

It has been Configuring for nearly 5 hours now. Perhaps I should have completely removed the Web Server component. Task Manager shows the job as 'Running' so I am going to leave it for 24hrs total. If it is still configuring after that time can I stop the job using Task Manager and use these same instructions to remove everything, remove the FTP Site, and then the Web Services and start from scratch, or should I do something extra?

Thanks.

Saturday, September 3, 2011 3:46 PM
  • It has been Configuring for nearly 5 hours now.

This is a known "issue" with the Role installer. The WSUS Setup Wizard window is BEHIND the Server Manager window.

Look at your TaskBar. Find the extra 'app' that is running the WSUS Setup Wizard and select it and complete the wizard.

Looks like everything else went smoothly for you, and all of the results you received from the various commands is exactly what I would have expected at that point, knowing the actual state of the machine.

Based on your procedures and results, it would appear that the continued presence of "WSUS" as an installed role was resolved by the deletion of the registry key and/or files (most likely the registry key). This is actually consistent with scenarios we saw on Windows Server 2003 where the WSUS installer also reported WSUS as "installed", when it actually was not, and the resolution there was to remove the registry key.

This is very useful diagnostic/forensic information for future scenarios. As I mentioned, one of the not-yet-fully-resolved questions is dealing with "How to get rid of the WSUS role in Server Manager when WSUS is not actually installed." I think you've provided us a major clue (if not the actual answer) in resolving that question.

Thank you for posting your results back to this thread.

Saturday, September 3, 2011 5:54 PM
  • OMG! I did not realise that! Thank you. I checked that this morning and indeed the setup window was behind the Add Roles Wizard/Server Manager window. Once the intial setup dialogs had been answered the next setup window was also sent behind the Add Roles Wizard/Server Manager window.

Setup immediately defaulted to the D:\WSUS folder for the content so I guess this information was still in the registry somewhere.

Will Setup recognise the existence of the update files at D:\WSUS\WsusContent\ or is there anything else I need to do?

The procedure finished with:

Web Server (IIS)

<Informational>: <a href="wsrm.chm::/html/c5b76d56-99b1-4ad7-875c-417b63118454.htm">Find out more about Windows System Resource Manager (WSRM) and how it can help optimize CPU usage</a>

Web Server

Performance

Dynamic Content Compression

Windows Server Update Services

Web Server (IIS): Installation succeeded

The following role services were installed:

Web Server

Performance

Dynamic Content Compression

Windows Server Update Services: Installation succeeded

Once the installation finished I saved the second servermanager.log in case you wanted it. Both Server Manager logs and the output from the other commands will come to approx 6 or 7MB once compressed. Again, if you want this information let me know and I will send it to you.

Thanks once again for your invaluable help. I truly appreciate you taking the time to help me resolve this issue.

Cheers!

Sunday, September 4, 2011 8:01 AM
  • Setup immediately defaulted to the D:\WSUS folder for the content so I guess this information was still in the registry somewhere.
    Actually, it defaulted to the volume with the most amount of free space. It's coincidental that it was the same drive you previously used.
    Will Setup recognise the existence of the update files at D:\WSUS\WsusContent\
    Yes.
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 8:03 PM
  • Thanks, Lawrence
    Monday, September 5, 2011 5:31 AM
  • These steps worked for me, so I hope they help someone else now that MSIZAP is very difficult to find. 

Follow These Steps

1.  Run the Microsoft Fix It http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971187
    2.  Select Not Listed
    3.  Copy and paste the software ID: {2C0D7E35-EE6E-4DC7-BA13-2C68AEDEB59D}
    4.   From a command prompt, type: sc delete wsusservice
    5.   From a command prompt, type: iisreset
    6.   For Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Embedded Edition

1) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer
    Edit the "InstalledInstances" value and remove "MICROSOFT##SSEE"

2) Remove the "MICROSOFT##SSEE" subkey under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer

3) Remove the "MSSQL.2005" subkey under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer

4) Rename the following folder:
    \%Windir%\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL\Data to \%Windir%\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL\Data.old
    7.  Download and Install WSUS Service Pack 2 and do the Administrator Console Only install
    8.  Go to Control Panel/Programs and Features/Uninstall Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP2 Console
    9.  I went to reinstall from the downloaded WSUS SP2 file and it gave a registry error. 
    10.  Go to the Fixit Site again in Step 1 and this time it will show WSUS SP2 and uninstall it. 
    11.  Install from the downloaded WSUS SP2 (This time it worked just fine)
    I sure hope this helps someone save the hours I spent fixing this issue.

• Edited by Caleb P Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:49 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:01 AM
  • These steps worked for me, so I hope they help someone else now that MSIZAP is very difficult to find. 

Follow These Steps

1.  Run the Microsoft Fix It http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971187

Thank you for the link, Caleb; definitely a good article to have in one's bookmark list.

However, it's also worthy of note, I think, that this procedure is really only applicable in a very small collection of circumstances regarding WSUS installations. Specifically it would only be applicable where the Windows Internal Database has been patched. (The WSUS role does not have any MSP-based patches available.) And even that is a very short list of possiblities:

• KB921896 (February 2008), but I do not believe this was an MSP-based update, and that update was superseded by an OS security update (MS08-040/KB948109) which most certainly is not MSI/MSP related.
    • WID Service Pack 3 (May 2009)
    • WID Service Pack 4 (Jan 2011)

And, in fact, from my observations, very few WSUS installation failures are actually attributed to WID corruption issues. The WSUS uninstaller does not uninstall the Windows Internal Database feature, so a WSUS uninstallation issue is, by definition, related to some other cause. Only if an attempt to actually remove the WID feature failed would it seem this information is appropriate -- but Good Information to have, nonetheless, should that scenario occur.

As for your particular scenario, I suspect merely deleting the registry keys and the data folder would have been sufficient to resolve your issue regarding uninstalling the WID.

I'm not really grasping the significance, nor the purpose, of installing the console-only installation and then uninstalling it. The registry error you encountered after the installation/uninstallaton of the console was likely there all along, and merely deleting the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Update Services key (which I suspect was the registry error, and is described in the Sticky Post at the top of this forums listing, which was taken directly from this thread, in fact), may well have fixed it all.

Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:02 PM
  • I know this is an old post but I wanted to say thanks to Lawrence and everyone else for your knowledge.  I had a corrupt WSUS install on Server 2008 R2 I was unable to repair or even remove.  I used the Microsoft Cleanup Utility and removed the folders, files and registry entries as explained and was able to re-install WSUS and get everything back up and functioning.  I spent hours on the internet researching my issue before discovering this post.  Thanks for the help.

Chris Rahm

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:06 PM
  • I found this article and it helped me resolve the same error code with other failing Windows Updates. It seems to be an issue related to .NET Framework 4.

http://techbytesxpress.com/2012/10/10/a-new-official-tool-for-fixing-windows-net-4-framework-problems/

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:57 PM
  • I'm experiencing this issue, but haven't been able to resolve it with the steps in Lawrence's post (and, another thanks from me for another detailed post from Lawrence!)

It's a 2008 box which had a relatively new WSUS install that just stopped working - not sure why.  Unable to figure out why it had stopped, I tried to Remove the WSUS role, but that failed with the error above.

During the manual uninstall steps above...

(1) Using Windows Installer Cleanup Utility only showed the Windows Internal Database, not WSUS.  I removed that.

(2) Removed %ProgramFiles%\Update Services - other resources not present

Reinstall has now failed with this error:  

Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP2 could not install Windows Internal Database. For more information, see the Setup log "C:\Users\NAME~1.ADM\AppData\Local\Temp\WSUSSetup.log".

2012-10-23 20:57:53  Success   MWUSSetup          Detected that setup was launched through Server Manager
    2012-10-23 20:57:54  Success   MWUSSetup          Validating pre-requisites...
    2012-10-23 20:57:54  Error     MWUSSetup          Failed to determine if an higher version of WSUS is installed. Assuming it is not... (Error 0x80070002: The system cannot find the file specified.)
    2012-10-23 20:57:54  Error     MWUSSetup          WSUS is outdated. But this will not block setup (Error 0x00000000: The operation completed successfully.)
    2012-10-23 20:57:57  Success   MWUSSetup          Incompatible version of ReportViewer installed. Required ReportViewer version: 9.
    2012-10-23 20:57:57  Success   MWUSSetup          Incompatible version of ReportViewer installed. Required ReportViewer version: 9.
    2012-10-23 20:58:25  Success   MWUSSetup          Initializing installation details
    2012-10-23 20:58:25  Success   MWUSSetup          Skipping Asp.Net install since not running on win2k3...
    2012-10-23 20:58:25  Success   MWUSSetup          Installing wYukon using ocsetup
    2012-10-23 20:58:25  Success   MWUSSetup          Installing Windows Internal database using ocsetup with command line as "ocsetup "WSSEE" /quiet /norestart"
    2012-10-23 20:58:49  Error     MWUSSetup          The process ocsetup "WSSEE" /quiet /norestart returned error: 0x643 (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2012-10-23 20:58:49  Error     MWUSSetup          ExecCmd failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2012-10-23 20:58:49  Error     MWUSSetup          Install Windows Internal database: Failed to execute "ocsetup "WSSEE" /quiet /norestart" (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2012-10-23 20:58:49  Error     MWUSSetup          CInstallDriver::PerformSetup: Installation of wYukon failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2012-10-23 20:58:49  Error     MWUSSetup          CSetupDriver::LaunchSetup: Setup failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)

Would anyone on the thread have suggestions for what I might be able to do, to wipe the slate clean with the Internal Database on this box?  

The WID is not used for anything else, but there is other production software installed, (using SQL - not relevant, just mentioning) and reinstalling the OS is not an option.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:13 PM
  • Did you try updating the MS Report Viewer to V9?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=577

• Proposed as answer by civid Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:25 AM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:26 AM
  • I was having a similar issue as RealBlood, after a HIR situation (to new hardware, all on Windows 2008 R2) the partition WSUS was on had corrupted. In the end I had to forget about transferring the partition across.

Lawrence pointed me in the right direction here, however the GUID he suggested wasn't correct for me (possibly just version difference?). I eventually found the GUID I needed in the following registry location, just searched through all of them and WSUS was listed as one of the DisplayName's.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\*

After I found that, followed the guide as directed and VOILA! WSUS is current reinstalling on the system.

Thanks Lawrence!

Saturday, March 2, 2013 11:34 AM
  • I'm having similar issues as well. Our RAID 5 completely crashed and I have since restored the system from a full backup. For the life of me I cannot get WSUS working again. I have been searching and trying for so long and I am still stumped. I have unistalled WSUS forcefully to no avail. Currently WID is uninstalled (I think). Trying to remove server role WSUS results in continued registry string access denied errors. I have used WIC to remove WID and WSUS but they still look like there installed.The steps above have not worked. I'm running a SBS 2008 box. A few days back I got WSUS SP2 installed but the MMC for Update Services fails upon opening. I don't even have a Update Services service after the WSUS install. I'm so stumped on this I'm willing to try anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:17 PM
  • Thank you so much , I battled this for over a week before I found this post and it worked.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:47 AM
  • Hello,

I had a similar issue after performing a Server 2008 p2v conversion. I could not get SQL server to start the SUSDB.mdf database, and I couldn't uninstall the WSUS role. After googling and stumbling around for about an hour I decided to take a look at my VM settings. 

When I'd created the new VM and attached the VHD disks I'd failed to notice that my drive D: containing the WSUS database and update files had been re-designated as E: because of a DVD ROM that was on the physical machine.

I removed the DVD ROM drive from my VM settings, booted the server and changed the drive letter to D: and Microsoft Bobs your uncle!... the console connected to the database and I was back in business!

I know this is an old thread, but perhaps someone else will stumble across it and find it helpful.

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 8:19 PM
  • In some cases you can remove the WsusCertServer "sc delete WsusCertServer" service and then restart the WSUS installation. 
    That worked for me after hours trying.
    Thanks 
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 10:10 PM
  • Working fine for me, 
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 10:08 AM
  • Review https://support.microsoft.com/es-es/kb/3045727

You can´t have installed .NET Framework 4.6

Jesús Ángel Señorán López. Administrador de sistemas y seguridad.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 10:19 AM