none
Bad install of 2016 CU 11, trying to remove Exchange and start over RRS feed

• Question

• The install of Exchange 2016 (purely for on-prem management as we are fully hosted O365) in my sandbox worked flawlessly. The production run errored at the end of the install and just doesn't work right (can only see 1 user etc, where the sandbox could see everyone). 

After much troubleshooting I decided to remove Exch 2016 but no matter what I do, I cannot get rid of the "This mailbox database contains one or more mailboxes, mailbox plans" message. I have tried the following and no combination of these will get me past this error. Can anyone give me any guidance? I'm a senior engineer with 20+ years MS experience (starting with NT3.51) but am NOT an Exchange guy. I feel I have such a borked situation I may have to open a case with MS, but would prefer not to if I can find the solution.

Commands tried but still get the message stated above:

Disable-Mailbox "Mailbox Database xxxxxxxxxxx" -Archive (also PublicFolder, AuditLog (bad command, not recognized), Arbitration) 

Disable-Mailbox "Mailbox Database xxxxxxxxxx" -Arbitration -DisableLastArbitrationMailboxAllowed

Get-Mailbox  -Monitoring | Disable-Mailbox

Get-ClientAccessServer | Set-ClientAccessServer -AutoDiscoverServiceInternalUri $Null

Remove-HybridConfiguration

Get-Mailbox -Arbitration -Database "Mailbox Database xxxxxxxxxx" | Remove-Mailbox -Arbitration –RemoveLastArbitrationMailboxAllowed

Remove-OfflineAddressBook "Default Offline Address Book"

Remove-MailboxDatabase "Mailbox Database xxxxxxxxxx" -Verbose

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please share result of below:-

Get-mailbox -database "Mailbox Database xxxxxxxxxx"

get-mailbox -archive -database "Mailbox Database xxxxxxxxxx"

get-mailbox -publicfolder -database "Mailbox Database xxxxxxxxxx"

get-mailbox -arbitration

Thanks, Ashish (I can be wrong but can't be rude) “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” MCITP, MCT, MCSE. Please remember to vote and mark the replies as answers if they help.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 2:32 PM
  • Now I cant connect to the EMS to run the commands...trying to get that back. Will post results when I do.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 3:45 PM
  • I was able to roll back a snapshot and got the EMC back up. Only 1 command returned any data:

Get-mailbox -database "Mailbox Database xxxxxxxxxx"
    > Name                      Alias                     ServerName       ProhibitSendQuota
    >   ----                        -----                     ----------             -----------------
    >Administrator             Administrator          exchange1     Unlimited

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:08 PM
  • Then you can disable this as well and then remove exchange.

Also hope you had a look on below before removing last Exchange:-

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/decommission-on-premises-exchange

You can run below as well to check which mailbox is on that database. Just need active directory powershell module to run this.

Get-ADObject -Properties homemdb -Filter * | ?{$_.homemdb -like "CN=Mailbox Database xxxxxxxxxx*"}

Thanks, Ashish (I can be wrong but can't be rude) “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” MCITP, MCT, MCSE. Please remember to vote and mark the replies as answers if they help.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:17 PM
  • Returns nothing. I did read and follow the url you listed.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:25 PM
  • Then you can go ahead if you feel that you are ready for this.

Don't forget to remove that administrator mailbox.

You can run below as well before going forward. This will update mailbox store state.

Get-MailboxStatistics -Database "Mailbox Database xxxxxxxxxx" | ForEach { Update-StoreMailboxState -Database $_.Database -Identity $_.MailboxGuid -Confirm:$false }

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:56 PM
  • get-mailbox now returns nothing.

setup /m:uninstall also still fails with the original message. 

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 6:22 PM
  • Please set ad setting to view entire forest

Set-AdServerSettings -ViewEntireForest $true 

After that check if there is any mailbox.

Also before uninstalling remove database

get-mailboxdatabase | remove-mailboxdatabase

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 6:32 PM
  • No data returned from first command. When I run the 2nd command I get the initial error.

Thanks for your help

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:09 PM
  • Okie. and by running below:-

Get-mailbox -monitoring

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 9:14 PM
  • 11 healthmailboxes exist...I had previously run 

Get-Mailbox –Monitoring -Database "Mailbox Database xxxxxxxxxx" but I guess that got reverted when I rolled back to the snapshot. 

Run this again?

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 9:19 PM
  • Remove these as well and then try.

Don't restart Exchange health manager service during this else Exchange will recreate health mailboxes.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 9:21 PM
  • Ran Get-Mailbox -Monitoring | Disable-Mailbox and tried again after verifying no results with get-mailbox but still get the same error.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 9:46 PM
  • I am running out of options :)

Do one thing.

Open ADUC and search for systemmailbox.

If you found any then delete that.

There should be no systemmailbox, discoverysearchmailbox, federatedemail, Migration mailbox in AD.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 10:01 PM
  • Wow, FINALLY it is uninstalling! I removed all those accounts and stopped the health service and ran setup /m:uninstall and IT IS WORKING!!!

Can't say thank you enough!
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 1:14 PM
  • That's sound great..

Note:-  Please remember to vote and mark the replies as answers if they help.

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 1:16 PM
  • Hi,

Just want to follow up on this.

How it went? Any further query you have on this.

Note:-  Please remember to vote and mark the replies as answers if they help.

Thursday, February 14, 2019 9:14 AM
  • The install completed but the only user I see now is the administrator account. Eventvwr is filled with 2160 warnings:
    Process w3wp.exe (AutoDisc) (PID=4160). Recipient object XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX read from DOMAIN CONTROLLER failed validation and will be excluded from the result set.  Set event logging level for Validation category to Expert to get additional events about each failure

My mailboxes still arent right. Grrrrr....

Thursday, February 14, 2019 4:15 PM
  • You uninstalled Exchange..correct. There should be no events now for Exchange.

Thursday, February 14, 2019 4:21 PM
  • I uninstalled then installed on a brand new server. All went well this install but I'm still only seeing 1 user in the console and the new server is spewing the 2160 warnings, one for each user in AD it appears.
    Thursday, February 14, 2019 5:08 PM
  • Hi,

What is that account for which you are getting error? You can recreate that.

If it is system mailbox then running below will resolve it.

.\Setup /preparead /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms

Thursday, February 14, 2019 5:12 PM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Friday, February 15, 2019 12:11 PM
  • Opening a case with MS, will update when we find the resolution. Thanks again for the assistance!
    Wednesday, February 20, 2019 6:13 PM
  • Appreciate your time for keeping us posted.

Thanks,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, February 21, 2019 1:38 AM