SBS 2011 w/Exchange -- Win7 Pro -- cannot connect to server RRS feed

• Question

• Brand new workstation - went to configure Outlook and received a prompt that the certificate to the exchange server had expired.   Went ahead and setup an IMAP account and figured I'd go back to setup the exchange account after I fixed the certificate.     Now when I attempt to create a new account on the Win7 desktop, I get 'An encrupted connection to your mail server is not available.  Click next to attempt using an unencrypted connection.'    Clicking NEXT fails and gives me an opportunity to  'retry'.   Any suggestions?

Sunday, November 13, 2016 9:31 PM

All replies

• Hi

Has your exchange certificate expired? Is it the SSL cert or local cert from an internal ca authority?

You will need to fix your certificate issue, also check the timezone on the machine.

Monday, November 14, 2016 4:31 AM
  • sounds like autodiscover isn't working.

first fix / renew the exchange certificate, then install it on the workstation in trusted root authorities,

and create a dns ptr for autodiscover.domain.xxx,

do a flushdns / registerdns on the workstation, and try autodiscover exchange settings again.

good luck,

Kind Regards, Darren Coetzee * Don't forget to mark as Answered if you found this post helpful. *

Monday, November 14, 2016 4:36 AM
  • Hi,

Firstly, we need to check the certificate on Exchange server with command: get-exchangecertificate |  fl to make sure the certs are not expired.

Meanwhile, this message doesn't mean that the mail server doesn't support encryption, it just means Outlook's Auto Account Setup can't determine the correct settings to use. This would be caused by imcomplete or missing autodiscover records in DSN, or the misconfiguration of Autodiscover service. As a result, you'll need the account up manually if you want to use encryption.

If we configured the Outlook account with POP or IMAP, please start the POP and IMAP services on exchange server firstly.

Please take the below articles for your reference:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Outlook-email-setup-6e27792a-9267-4aa4-8bb6-c84ef146101b

Autodiscover Error "An encrypted connection to your mail server is not available. Click Next to attempt using an unencrypted connection

Please note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. And the changes made in the above blog is not supported officially by Microsoft.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 14, 2016 8:15 AM