none
Cannot start virtual machine after password change RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running a Windows 2003 server as a virtual machine using Virtual Server 2005 R2. This machine is running on a Windows 2003 server platform.  The Windows 2003 machine is logged on with the domain administrator account, and I've always logged on to the virtual server administration website using the domain admin user name/password as well.  Earlier this week, I changed the domain Administrator password while the virtual machine was running, but I logged off and back on again both on the host and the virtual machine with no problem.  Then I ran Windows Update, shut down the virtual machine and rebooted the host machine.  Now I can't get the virtual server to start at all; I get the following error when I try to launch it:

The following error occurred:
    The virtual machine could not be started. The virtual machine could not be started. The account name and password are invalid.

Yet, I am logged on to the host machine with the same account name and password (domain Administrator) that I've always used, the only change being the password.  I've tried a couple of things, made sure that the NTFS permissions on the virtual machine files are correct (they haven't changed), etc. I can't figure out what's going on here. I even tried using the local Administrator password instead, which didn't work, and I tried removing the domain Administrator account from the local Administrators group and re-adding it, which also didn't work. Is there some sort of cached password somewhere that I need to change or remove? I need to get this machine up and running, as it is the DHCP and print server for the network!!

Deb
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 4:34 PM

Answers

• No, the service is using the Network Service logon and is running.  I believe I've found the solution, though. It seems to have something to do with an update to IE8 as well as a password issue.  I found a link to an application called VMRC Plus that can be used to manage the VM instead of the web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=80ADC08C-BFC6-4C3A-B4F1-772F550AE791&displaylang=en

Once I downloaded and installed that app, I could see that there was a user name assigned to be used to start the VM, although I don't know how it got assigned, and that password was missing.  I removed the setting to use a specific user name to start the VM, and now it appears that the VM will start.

Deb
    • Marked as answer by SYNOFF Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:58 PM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:58 PM

All replies

• IIRC, there is a password for the virtual server service also.  Did you use the same account for that service?  if so, you'd need to change the password there too.
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:54 PM
  • No, the service is using the Network Service logon and is running.  I believe I've found the solution, though. It seems to have something to do with an update to IE8 as well as a password issue.  I found a link to an application called VMRC Plus that can be used to manage the VM instead of the web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=80ADC08C-BFC6-4C3A-B4F1-772F550AE791&displaylang=en

Once I downloaded and installed that app, I could see that there was a user name assigned to be used to start the VM, although I don't know how it got assigned, and that password was missing.  I removed the setting to use a specific user name to start the VM, and now it appears that the VM will start.

Deb
    • Marked as answer by SYNOFF Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:58 PM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:58 PM
  • IE8 has always been an issue with VS2005.

I moved off IE/IIS and use VMRC+, no messing around with browsers and web servers. 

Glad you found the solution.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 6:06 PM