Windows 7 Language Pack (msdn academic alliance) RRS feed

• Question

• I have downloaded Windows 7 Professional [Windows 7 Professional (x86) - DVD (English)] from MSDN Academic Alliance and after some days I found a Language Pack for windows 7 [ Windows 7 Language Pack (x86) - DVD (Multilanguage)] from the same site, when i tried to install the Language Pack i realised that there was no executable file in the dvd. How is it possible to install the Language pack? I've searched several topics here but I didn't get any answer so  I need some guidance on how to install it

Thanks in advance
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 12:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Windows 7 language packs are only available for computers that are running Windows 7 Ultimate. You will find the information as below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972813

Given this situation, to use the Language Pack, you need to install Windows 7 Ultimate instead.

To install language pack, type "Change Display Language" in the start search box and press Enter. Click "Install uninstall languages" button -> Install display languages -> Browse computer or network. You only need to navigate to the directory in which the language pack is in.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by morfeas Tuesday, September 8, 2009 10:31 AM
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:12 AM
  • Hi,

Windows 7 uses Windows Anytime Upgrade (WAU) to upgrade one edition to a higher edition. If a Windows 7 Ultimate Product Key is available, you can upgrade Windows 7 without installation media. The step is as below:

1. Clicking the Start button. In the search box, type anytime upgrade, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Anytime Upgrade.

2. Enter the Windows 7 Ultimate Product Key and then follow the instructions on each page to finish the upgrade.

For more information, please refer to the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-SG/windows7/Upgrade-to-another-edition-of-Windows-7-by-using-Windows-Anytime-Upgrade

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Monday, September 7, 2009 9:41 AM
  • Hi,

I am afraid that it will not upgrade a most recent version of Windows 7 to the RC version, so upgrading Professional to Ultimate RC will not work. To use Ultimate RC, a clean install is needed. In addition, the RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Here is the detailed information:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/download.aspx

So, I suggest waiting for the RTM version of Ultimate and upgrade to it using Anytime Upgrade.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by morfeas Tuesday, September 8, 2009 10:32 AM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows 7 language packs are only available for computers that are running Windows 7 Ultimate. You will find the information as below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972813

Given this situation, to use the Language Pack, you need to install Windows 7 Ultimate instead.

To install language pack, type "Change Display Language" in the start search box and press Enter. Click "Install uninstall languages" button -> Install display languages -> Browse computer or network. You only need to navigate to the directory in which the language pack is in.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:12 AM
  • If Windows 7 Ultimate becomes available at MSDN Academic Alliance, is there any way of upgrading from windows 7 professional to windows 7 ultimate without formatting my disc and loosing my programes and files?
    Friday, September 4, 2009 11:52 AM
  • Hi,

Windows 7 uses Windows Anytime Upgrade (WAU) to upgrade one edition to a higher edition. If a Windows 7 Ultimate Product Key is available, you can upgrade Windows 7 without installation media. The step is as below:

1. Clicking the Start button. In the search box, type anytime upgrade, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Anytime Upgrade.

2. Enter the Windows 7 Ultimate Product Key and then follow the instructions on each page to finish the upgrade.

For more information, please refer to the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-SG/windows7/Upgrade-to-another-edition-of-Windows-7-by-using-Windows-Anytime-Upgrade

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Monday, September 7, 2009 9:41 AM
  • Now at MSDN only Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate RC are available, if i use the serial of Windows 7 Ultimate RC in the Windows Anytime Upgrade will my installation remain normal or it will become an RC version which will sometime expire?
    Monday, September 7, 2009 2:30 PM
  • Hi,

I am afraid that it will not upgrade a most recent version of Windows 7 to the RC version, so upgrading Professional to Ultimate RC will not work. To use Ultimate RC, a clean install is needed. In addition, the RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Here is the detailed information:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/download.aspx

So, I suggest waiting for the RTM version of Ultimate and upgrade to it using Anytime Upgrade.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by morfeas Tuesday, September 8, 2009 10:32 AM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:06 AM
  • Ok thanks for the info, I'll wait for the RTM version then
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 10:31 AM
  • Hello,

I wanted to ask, does this mean that Windows ULTIMATE will be available via the msdn academic alliance ??
    Friday, September 18, 2009 11:47 AM
  • I've got a solution for you ;]

http://forum.techit.pl/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=384&p=2176#p2176 - in Polish

My translation:

All you need is

right-click CMD and chose run on Administrator rules

then type below:
    DISM /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:(path to lp)

for example
    DISM /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:(F:\lp.cab)

next this one
    bcdedit /set {current} locale pl-PL

and:
    bcdboot %WinDir% /l pl-PL

next in regedit:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlMUIUILanguages
    Delete en-US

Reboot system and you have Polish version RTM Pro ;]

I hope this will help. Sorry for my bad language ;p

If you don't want polish on your win 7 you should type your local letters if german it's "de-DE" in place of "pl-PL" ofcourse ;]
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 2:44 PM
  • I say this way to work in many sites but I've got an error message:

Error: 87

The online/add-package/packagepath option is unknow.
    For more information, refr to the help by running DISM.exe /?

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

What can I do?

Sunday, November 8, 2009 2:31 AM
  • ti_boutch08 , i think you should add space, like;

DISM /online /add-packege...

there are spaces after dism, online, add-packege
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:33 AM
  • I'm wondering how easy it is to revert back.

Is undoing the last step enough or is an english .cab necessary?
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlMUIUILanguages
    Delete en-US
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 12:31 PM
  • I did here, my Windows 7 Professional pt-br changed to en-US
    I got a problem in Windows Update blank windows with error #elementModuleheaderText#
    some idea to fix my "Windows update".

the best regards,
    SC 

Stanley Cruvinel
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:09 PM
  • Hello Vivian

quote from KB 972813:

Windows 7 language packs are available for computers that are running Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 7 Enterprise

If it's Ultimate only, then the title of the KB article might need some adjustment ...

Greetinx
    Robert
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:41 PM