locked
App works when mounted, but not when streamed RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi everyone. I have a problem where Google Earth works fine when fully mounted into the cache, but does not when only streamed (not mounted and using shared content store mode). It crashes after the splash screen with 'Google Earth has encountered a problem and needs to close'. It creates a dmp file but I have not been able to fully read it using Windbg.

    I am using 5.0 SP3 to sequence it. I have tried to see what's going on in Process Monitor but nothing obvious appears. I have also used advanced debugging, but the only thing in the event log is a message saying "AppData upload task failed."

    Has anyone else encountered a similar problem where something works mounted but not when only streamed?

    Thanks,

    Matt

    Friday, May 29, 2015 8:21 AM

Answers

  • Not with google earth (have not seqeunced it yet with appv5), but with other apps, some things to try:

    1) Only perform install, no first use tasks -> save
    2) configure "fault streaming" (so run nothing for optimization)
    3) configure full streaming (select "Force applciations to...", resulting in full mount)
    4) mixture from 1,2 and 1,3

    Sometimes the only solution is to configure full steaming (publishing takes more time, but you have a working package)

    Friday, May 29, 2015 10:12 AM

All replies

  • Not with google earth (have not seqeunced it yet with appv5), but with other apps, some things to try:

    1) Only perform install, no first use tasks -> save
    2) configure "fault streaming" (so run nothing for optimization)
    3) configure full streaming (select "Force applciations to...", resulting in full mount)
    4) mixture from 1,2 and 1,3

    Sometimes the only solution is to configure full steaming (publishing takes more time, but you have a working package)

    Friday, May 29, 2015 10:12 AM
  • Hi Tiberivs. Thanks for your reply. I guess I shall have to forego any streaming optimization.
    Friday, May 29, 2015 11:43 AM
  • I would suggest first trying Fault-Streaming (#2) first.

    Steve Thomas, Senior Consultant, Microsoft

    App-V/MED-V/SCVMM/Server App-V/MDOP/AppCompat

    http://blogs.technet.com/gladiatormsft/
    The App-V Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/appv/
    The MED-V Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/medv
    The SCVMM Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/scvmm/

    “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all risks.”

    Friday, May 29, 2015 1:48 PM
  • I am having a very similar issue here.

    I found relaunching the application in quick succession seems to allow it to launch the second time.

    • Edited by TrententMVP Friday, July 3, 2015 7:41 AM Made better comment
    Friday, July 3, 2015 7:40 AM