cursor stops midway when tabbing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using Word 2016 & when using tab to move within the document, it stops at 3 inches on the ruler at the top. The cursor begins flashing after a long pause & moves again but stops after about 7 more tabs. This keeps happening & I have tried un-installing, reboot, re-install, Off-CAT, repair, etc. All of this was performed with Office 365 support & still nothing. This is only happening in Word.

Any help would really be appreciated!

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 6:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Jeff,

I tested in my Word 2016 (16.0.7927.1006, 64-bit) by hitting Tab for several times, but I didn't meet any problems.

Have you tried starting Word in safe mode(Press Win + R, type "winword /safe", press Enter.) to narrow down if this issue is related to any third-party add-ins?

Besides, it is also recommended to try performing a clean boot in Windows, then have a try and see if issue persists. This helps eliminate whether the issue was caused by any software conflicts.

Hope this can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:56 AM
  • I don't see this happening on my installation.

Attacking the problem from a different angle, if you set *custom* tab stops you never have to press Tab more than once to get to a desired tab stop. See http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com/SettingTabs.htm.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 9:24 AM
  • Hi Yuki,

I did try it in safe mode, no help. I will try the clean boot, that is probably the only thing I have not tried.

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 12:02 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

Any updates, please feel free to let us know:)

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 23, 2017 10:22 AM
  • Hi,

I'm using Word 2016 & when using tab to move within the document, it stops at 3 inches on the ruler at the top. The cursor begins flashing after a long pause & moves again but stops after about 7 more tabs. This keeps happening & I have tried un-installing, reboot, re-install, Off-CAT, repair, etc. All of this was performed with Office 365 support & still nothing. This is only happening in Word.

Any help would really be appreciated!

I am having the same issue; tried safe mode, rebooting, etc. Any updates to the issue? Thank you.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 3:21 PM
  • Wednesday, August 16, 2017 8:29 PM