We need an easy way for laptop users to shutdown without having to install updates. RRS feed

• Question

• We use WOL for patching desktops, so this is a laptop only issue.  When updates are available, we want the regular shutdown button to be 'Shutdown and Install Updates'.  However, we would like our very busy laptop users to have the option to NOT install updates and be able to shutdown. 

XP and the Win7 login UI has this option: 

The regular Win7 UI does NOT have this option: 

We do not want to use the group policy "Do not adjust default option to 'Install Updates and Shut Down' in Shut Down Windows dialog box" since that 'hides' the 'Shutdown and Install Updates' button.  We don't want the users to be forced to logoff, then ctrl-alt-del, then click the login UI shutdown flyout menu, then click Shutdown.  We do not want users selecting Restart then powering down the laptop when it reboots.  We simply would like a 'Shutdown' option in the flyout menu when updates are available, just like XP and the Win7 logon UI.  We are using Windows 7 Enterprise SP1.  Thanks for taking the time to read this question.  Any ideas?

Friday, November 11, 2011 4:11 PM

Answers

• The best workaround this that I have found is this:

Close all applications and when at the desktop, just press ALT + F4 and a Windows XP like prompt will give you all the options (including a shut down w/o doing updates)

Hope it helps!

Thank you! Computer Repair Kissimmee
    • Proposed as answer by Roger Andre Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Monday, December 5, 2011 9:04 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 9:06 PM

All replies

• The best workaround this that I have found is this:

Close all applications and when at the desktop, just press ALT + F4 and a Windows XP like prompt will give you all the options (including a shut down w/o doing updates)

Hope it helps!

Thank you! Computer Repair Kissimmee
    • Proposed as answer by Roger Andre Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Monday, December 5, 2011 9:04 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 9:06 PM
  • Thanks for the workaround.  A ctrl-alt-del will also give you the logon UI and the option to shutdown w/o installing updates. 

It's kinda funny that every other way to Shutdown and Install updates gives you the option to Shutdown w/o installing updates except the main taskbar shutdown menu!  I'm guessing this was by design to encourage people to install any updates and make it difficult to bypass the updates. 

However, this issue is generating complaints from our laptop user community who understand the importance of updating Windows but sometimes are in a hurry to leave and cannot wait for the update process and do not want to have to remember a workaround procedure.

I wonder if this is something I can lobby to be included in SP2....?

Friday, November 11, 2011 9:28 PM
  • I would also suggest that it's there to encourage the regular user to use the much improved sleep and hibernate function. 
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:47 AM