none
PTR record of DNS on windows server 2012R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We created the DNS AAA record with the PTR option checked so that we see the reverse lookup zone automatically populated the PTR.

I accidentally deleted this PTR record from the reverse lookup zone and now it is not getting back to the reverse lookup zone although the create PRT record option is checked in the forward lookup zone record.

Is this a normal behavior or there is something wrong?

Thank you.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 6:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have a nice day! Thanks for your question.

To narrow down this issue, please help me more information:

1) Does the corresponding IPv6 reverse lookup zone related to  the AAAA record exist on the DNS server?

2) Please check if the client’s IP mapping to the AAAA record changed.

3) Please check if the selection “Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)” of NIC properties on the client with the AAAA record is checked.

Furthermore, I’d like to recommend that you need to make sure the corresponding IPv6 Reverse lookup zone exists. And IPv6 address prefix is correct to match the AAAA record as the following figure.

In addition, here is a link refer to IPv6 private range, it may be helpful. If you configure private address, it's necessary to use ipv6 private range. 

https://simpledns.com/private-ipv6

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any questions and concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 6:30 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the confusion. It's an A record not ipv6 record.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 3:39 PM
  • To answer your questions:

1) Does the corresponding IPv6 reverse lookup zone related to  the AAAA record exist on the DNS server?

the reverse lookup zone exist and other records in this zone are fine.

2) Please check if the client’s IP mapping to the AAAA record changed.

the A record has no change in the forward lookup zone.

3) Please check if the selection “Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)” of NIC properties on the client with the AAAA record is checked.

N/A

all other PTRs are still there, just this one, I deleted it by mistake, but it won't showing up automatically, i want to know if this is the nature behavior for the PTR record?

Thank you

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 3:43 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

I saw you created another thread with the same issue. I agree with Dave's opinion.

<<When you create the static that isn't a dynamic event, it only creates it that one time.  If you delete one that was created statically than it than it wont recreate unless your DNS is set to dynamically update/register.

Please enable the option “Register this connection’s addresses in DNS” in the advanced IPV4 properties tab of the problematic client should be checked as the following figure.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any questions and concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 12, 2018 6:51 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you. This option is actually checked.

In this case, what should I do?

Thank you.

Thursday, April 12, 2018 1:43 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

Please  type the command "ipconfig /flushdns" on the DNS server and then retry to create the A record and its PTR.

If the issue persists, you could only create a PTR of the problematic record by manual temporarily for this specific situation.

Highly appreciate your successive effort and time. If you have any questions and concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Friday, April 13, 2018 6:55 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going on? Was your issue resolved?

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Wish you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Michael

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 10:15 AM
  • Hi.

This could be a normal behaviour because, process to create PTR record is triggered while creating AAA record.

If you want the PTR record to be created again automatically, you may have to first delete its corresponding AAA record, and then run 'ipconfig /registerdns' command on client machine, which will start the process to create AAA record, followed by creating PTR record.

Hope you will find this helpful.

Thanks,

Amit Jogi

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 11:00 AM