AppV performance questions with XenApp RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am working on a new design of AppV integrating into XenApp. This will be for 55k virtual desktop users utilising 1800 applications. I am trying to work out what would be the best performant streaming mechanism to the XenApp desktop. HTTP, RTSP or SMB? All traffic would be housed within a single datacentre - we have no slow bandwidth considerations. 

I was initially looking at HTTP based on the sizing white paper from Microsoft but now reading a bit more I am not sure and am thinking about SMB. 

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Monday, October 25, 2010 12:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• As I understand it, HTTP should offer the best performance; however given that this is a XenApp farm, could you pre-stream applications via a script that runs out of work hours? Thus the choice of streaming protocol would be moot.

You would have to be using SMB2 (i.e. Windows 2008 or above on both client and server end) to get the best performance out of SMB.

Monday, October 25, 2010 2:54 PM
  • Thanks for your answer. So if we pre-stream to each physical XenApp server using SMB2 this would be best? Do you have any scripts that I could use?

Thanks

Monday, October 25, 2010 2:59 PM
  • I'm not sure which protocol is best, as I said, I'm under the impression that HTTP is best, not SMB 1 or 2. You'll need to confirm that for yourself, unless someone else has more info.

To pre-load the applications see this script: http://www.virtualapp.net/scripts.html#SoftGridPreloadApps

Monday, October 25, 2010 3:02 PM