none
Windows Server Essentials Connector crashes during install on Windows 10 Pro

Question

• I just noticed that my 'Windows Server Essentials Connector for Windows Server 2012 R2' somehow got uninstall from my Windows 10 Pro machine. I assume that one of the updates that was pushed on me also uninstalled the connector.

Now I am trying to get it reinstalled, but it fails during the install.

I checked the Event logs and noticed an error with the ClientDeploy.exe

Faulting application name: ClientDeploy.exe, version: 10.0.14393.0, time stamp: 0x57d64aba
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.479, time stamp: 0x582588e6
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000017788
    Faulting process id: 0x105190
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d29c6fcd10fd4b
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\ClientDeploy.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 9ee262c5-6d96-407f-94e0-61100d95e8e9
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 
    Application: ClientDeploy.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.ArgumentNullException
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerEssentials.DirectoryServicesUtility.ADContext..ctor(System.String)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ActiveDirectoryCommon.CreateDirectoryEntry(System.String, System.String, System.String, System.Security.SecureString)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ActiveDirectoryCommon.SimpleQueryFindOne(System.String, System.String, System.String, System.String, System.Security.SecureString, System.String[])
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ActiveDirectoryUser.GetSingleUserInfo(System.String, System.String, System.String, System.Security.SecureString, System.String)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ActiveDirectoryUser.GetUserInfo(System.String, System.String, System.String, System.String, System.Security.SecureString, System.String)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ClientDeploy.GetStandardUsersTask.Run(Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ClientDeploy.WizData)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ClientDeploy.ConnectorWizardForm.RunTasks(System.Object, System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ClientDeploy.ConnectorWizardForm.<m_wizardPageDomainUserCred_PageValidating>b__28_0(System.Object, System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs)
       at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs)
       at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(System.Object)

Exception Info: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ClientSetupException
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ClientDeploy.ConnectorWizardForm+<>c__DisplayClass28_0.<m_wizardPageDomainUserCred_PageValidating>b__2(System.Object, System.ComponentModel.RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs)
       at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorkerCompleted(System.ComponentModel.RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs)

Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Signature, Boolean)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Object[])
       at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(System.Object[])
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(System.Object)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
       at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG ByRef)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr, Int32, Int32)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(System.Windows.Forms.IWin32Window)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ClientDeploy.Program.Main()

Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

www.justechn.com

• Edited by RyanMc360 Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:19 AM fix title
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please reference below steps and mark sure that Connector relate installation files are removed on the client:
    1. Uninstall “Windows Server Essentials Connector” from Control Panel – Programs and Features – View installed updates.
    2. Delete folder “Windows Server” under %ProgramData%\Microsoft.
    3. Delete folder “Windows Server Essentials” under Task Scheduler - Task Scheduler Library – Microsoft – Windows.
    4. Manually re-join the client to Workgroup, and make sure Preferred DNS Server (TCP/IP Properties) is configured as the Essentials Server’s IP address.
    5. Re-start the client system, if possible, restart the system in Clean Boot.

Also, delete the client from Dashboard – DEVICES on the Essentials Server. Then, try to reconnect client to Essentials Server via accessing “http://<server name or IP address>/connect” and check the result.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 6:50 AM
  • Won't removing myself from the domain reset my user? I really don't want to have to start a new user. It would be great if the Server Connector was smarter and could handle a computer that is already on the domain.

Also if I delete the client from the Dashboard I will loose all my backups. This does not seem like an ideal solution.

Thanks

Ryan

www.justechn.com

Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:06 PM
  • Hi,

>Won't removing myself from the domain reset my user?
    Domain users are not deleted/removed. You can still log on client using this user account.

>if I delete the client from the Dashboard I will loose all my backups.
    When you remove a computer from the network, you can choose to keep the backups for the computer or to delete them. If you keep the backups, they move into the Archived computer backups section on the Computers and Backups tab in the Dashboard.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 8:56 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 6:22 AM
  • None of the above worked for me, and I'm using WS2012 R2 but the fix I found might be similar.  Looking at the log file of the Connector installer ("C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\Computerconnector.log") I saw at the beginning of the install the line:

SetPackageDlcUrl: Connector url is set to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=799487

So I went to that path and downloaded the generic connector MSI.  Ran it, nothing happened after it went through a few things.

Went to Downloads, right-clicked on the file it downloaded (WSEClient-x64.msi) and chose Uninstall.  It uninstalled.  Then I ran the Connector install normally that I had downloaded from my server and it worked!

Some other notes:

1. The C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin was empty after the 1803 upgrade.  I copied it from the Windows.old folder; if you've cleared that out already might need to pull it from a computer backup or another computer.
    2. The registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Server was empty so I populated it from a working computer, but changed the IDENTITY section of the REG file to match the certificate on the local computer as someone described on a similar forum post (Manage Computer Certificates, Personal/Certificates, choose the most recent one that has a template name starting with "Windows Server", use the Thumbprint SHA1 value).  Not sure if this was necessary for my fix.
    • Proposed as answer by Torpex Saturday, June 30, 2018 3:53 AM
    Monday, June 4, 2018 7:22 PM