none
The July updates KB3163912 and KB3172985 are out for Windows10!

General discussion

• Hi folks,

We're back for another round. We've made some great fixes (and more to come next month) so please let me know how the July Windows 10 update works for you!

Thanks,

John Wink [MSFT]

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 5:31 PM

All replies

• Another smoothie for my sys. winver is now Version 1511 (OSBuild 10586.494).
    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 6:10 PM
  • Another smoothie for my sys. winver is now Version 1511 (OSBuild 10586.494).

Cool, thanks!
    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 6:14 PM
  • Hi John,

update KB3172985 don't work again , the update fails and rolls back (uninstalls)

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 5:34 PM
  • Hi John,

update KB3172985 don't work again , the update fails and rolls back (uninstalls)

Thanks for the update. Can you send me your CBS logs on my OneDrive? If it's still the same error I'd like to ask if you'd be willing to test out a fix for us.

OneDrive is here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtwXjrnjoGBmlw9JslDsRkkU0xzV

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 7:58 PM
  • OK! I have uploaded my last CBS logs in your OneDrive/TECHNET folder (XNESSUNO_JULY_CBS.ZIP).

NOTE:I tried 2 times with Windows Update. The third time I downloaded the update and I have launched the file from disk.

I'm available to test your fix.

Thank you so much.

• Edited by Xnessuno Wednesday, July 13, 2016 8:43 PM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2016 8:39 PM
  • Hi John,

We are a gold ISV and I wanted to relay a very frustrating story related to todays update…

On June 17 Microsoft pushed out an update which effectively broke IE11 when trying to access internal web pages (used for various admin processes) with a low level of encryption. I believe this was tied to self-signed certificates (the type often used with internal management tools, etc.). The result of this was that IE simply returned a “page not found” when trying to access such sites. Chrome and Firefox would access with the usual certificate warnings.  We also received reports from some of our clients who experienced similar issues  and a quick search on the internet will yield similar responses. There were also reports of a few public websites presenting access issues from IE11. These probably had older certs as well. Here’s an example of another report related to the same…

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-iewindows_10/cannot-view-sites-with-no-certificate-since/c7cb0a4b-59b9-4bc4-8462-f1eb07e04676

I opened a support case with Microsoft and the tech was not able to resolve after spending a few hours analyzing the issue (Support Case:116061614300824). It was suggested that we wait for Microsoft to create a patch for the cumulative update from June 17th

Our (internal decision) was to simply remove KB3163018  (the update applied on June 17th) and we were functioning again.

Subsequently, we used “wushowhide.diagcab” to prevent this update from installing again.

Skip forward to today: 7/13/2016…

I received the following request from the Microsoft support engineer that attempted to help us  last month:

>>>>>>>>>

A new Cumulative update for Internet Explorer 11 for the month of July has been released.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/kb/3170106

Could you please install this cumulative update without installing the KB3160005 as it supersedes the previous update and check if we are able to launch the page correctly.

Do try this on a single machine and let me know the result. If it works properly we can deploy it on multiple machines.

Seeing as I am attending WPC this week, I certainly did not want to try this on my personal laptop which experienced the initial IE issue. What I did do was run “wushowhide.diagcab” to confirm KB3163018 was still hidden and did not rear its ugly head again.

To my surprise, the KB was no longer listed as hidden or even available… I guess Microsoft pulled this update?

Nevertheless, I changed the Windows 10 update settings to not apply todays update (7/13/2016) until I got back from WPC (I’m, running Windows 10 Ent).  Interestingly, when I went to shut down my laptop, I was prompted with only two options:

Update and shutdown or Update and reboot.

Seeing as I had no choice I took todays update.

Guess What…

The IE problem came back and I was no longer able to access some of those internal admin pages with the self-signed certificates.

VERY FRUSTRATING

Nevertheless, I looked at the Windows updates applied and simply removed: KB3172985 (todays update)

Now, I’m functioning again and can access those web pages with the self signed certificates.

I did experience one additional problem from  - what I can only imagine was related to the removal of today’s update…

I received many Windows Message center warnings about application and file extension default applications being lost. I had to re-define a few of these but things seem to be back to normal.

Subsequently, I used “wushowhide.diagcab” to prevent todays update from installing again.

I really hope this is not going to be the new norm.

I don’t know if Microsoft is aware of this particular issue but hopefully this story is of value to those responsible for pushing these updates...

Benjamin

• Edited by NGCBSiegel Thursday, July 14, 2016 3:07 AM
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 2:59 AM
  • OK! I have uploaded my last CBS logs in your OneDrive/TECHNET folder (XNESSUNO_JULY_CBS.ZIP).

NOTE:I tried 2 times with Windows Update. The third time I downloaded the update and I have launched the file from disk.

I'm available to test your fix.

Thank you so much.

Great, thanks! We're still coding for a couple of conditions but I'll let you know if/when we're ready for an external test. I appreciate your help!
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 3:06 PM
  • Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for the detailed information, I also read through the support case you mentioned. I have a solid idea of what's happening, let me work with the team here and come up with something for you. I'll either reply on this forum or via the support case, depending on how we need to move forward.

Thanks,

John

Thursday, July 14, 2016 3:08 PM
  • Hi Benjamin,

I've bounced my theory off the team here, and we think you're seeing this as a result of the tightened security around TLS. To confirm this I'd like you to try a couple of things:

Try the following:

On the client machine, modify the       HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Cryptography\Configuration\Local\SSL\00010002!Functions       REG_MULTI_SZ and remove the following values, reboot, and check if IE is able to connect.

TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA
    TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA

If this resolves the issue - undo this change (add the 2 ciphers back) and change HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\Schannel\KeyExchangeAlgorithms\Diffie-Hellman!ClientMinKeyBitLength REG_DWORD to 512, reboot, and check if IE is able to connect. Once the check is complete, undo this change.

If this works for you then the problem is that the pages are being served with weak Diffe-Hellman keys, and for the sake of security the servers should be updated to use something better than a 512-bit key length. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3061518 explains this better than I can. :-)

Can you try this out and let me know if we've hit the mark?

Thanks!

John

Thursday, July 14, 2016 3:34 PM
  • Please see:               

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2d7bd961-5ded-42b9-996e-945bd63e0a15/bitlocker-screen-is-orange-with-white-lines?forum=win10itprogeneral

You cannot vote on your own post

Hi all

Since the updates some of our users have started calling in as the normal blue Bitlocker Password Entry Screen has been replaced with an orange screen with white vertical lines on it (and no text).

The user's bitlocker password can be entered (blind!) and the laptop continues to boot as normal.

This has happened across different makes (Dell, HP, Fujitsu) and various models of laptops, so not a hardware fault.

TPM should not be an issue either (some affected laptops have them, some don't)

Has anyone any thoughts?

Could it be related to updates?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Thursday, July 14, 2016 4:45 PM
  • Please see:               

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2d7bd961-5ded-42b9-996e-945bd63e0a15/bitlocker-screen-is-orange-with-white-lines?forum=win10itprogeneral

You cannot vote on your own post

Hi all

Since the updates some of our users have started calling in as the normal blue Bitlocker Password Entry Screen has been replaced with an orange screen with white vertical lines on it (and no text).

The user's bitlocker password can be entered (blind!) and the laptop continues to boot as normal.

This has happened across different makes (Dell, HP, Fujitsu) and various models of laptops, so not a hardware fault.

TPM should not be an issue either (some affected laptops have them, some don't)

Has anyone any thoughts?

Could it be related to updates?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Duly noted, I'll head over there (perhaps with an expert to help figure it out) in a few minutes. Thanks!
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 5:08 PM
  • Dear John,

I have tried *again* to install the last update. And it ended as usual for the last few month : the ever lasting "spinning dots".

If I type Alt+Ctrl+Suppr, the Win10 login window is displayed ... with login prompt :-(

As usual, I uninstalled KB3172985. Just like the previous ones.

I kind of get desperate.

I uploaded my CBS directory as FilipsCBS_2016-07-14.7z

If you have any clue, I would love to give it a try.

Philippe

Thursday, July 14, 2016 5:31 PM
  • Thanks John,

Just prior to reading your response, I actually looked deeper down into the reference link I provided (about another person with the same problem) and found the same suggestion for the new reg key and tried it (without first testing by removing the values you define above).

It worked!!!!

So this is definitely related to the weaker key.

These are html pages referencing internal admin tools (locked down by our firewall) so we never paid much attention to these keys but perhaps I'll look into them over the next few weeks. From the calls I have been receiving from various clients (unrelated to the actual software we sell), It appears that this may be a common scenario across various IT shops.

For pages accessed over the public internet - I hope this is not a common scenario (for sure these should be using better encryption algorithms). Anyways - thanks for confirming this work-around.

Do you think you could ask your team if leaving this regkey in place could cause any problems with future Windows updates. For example, might a future update remove this key?

Thanks Again..

Benjamin

Thursday, July 14, 2016 6:26 PM
  • Thanks John,

Just prior to reading your response, I actually looked deeper down into the reference link I provided (about another person with the same problem) and found the same suggestion for the new reg key and tried it (without first testing by removing the values you define above).

It worked!!!!

So this is definitely related to the weaker key.

These are html pages referencing internal admin tools (locked down by our firewall) so we never paid much attention to these keys but perhaps I'll look into them over the next few weeks. From the calls I have been receiving from various clients (unrelated to the actual software we sell), It appears that this may be a common scenario across various IT shops.

For pages accessed over the public internet - I hope this is not a common scenario (for sure these should be using better encryption algorithms). Anyways - thanks for confirming this work-around.

Do you think you could ask your team if leaving this regkey in place could cause any problems with future Windows updates. For example, might a future update remove this key?

Thanks Again..

Benjamin

Hi Benjamin,

The only cases I know of are internal tools like you've described. I can't promise the key will be valid forever (that's a long time!). The real problem is that this key basically downgrades you to a level of TLS security that isn't really all that secure, so we'd really rather people resolve the true root problem.

Thanks!

John

Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:25 PM
  • We had problems connecting to our local webserver when KB3163018 was installed (this has been a reported problem all over the Internet).  We removed 3018 and everything was working again.  Now KB3172985 has been installed and we can't access our server.  We get the "This page can't be displayed" error.  We removed 2985 and its working again.
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 10:09 PM
  • please let me know how the July Windows 10 update works for you!

494 is OK though still a poor performer.   But what happened to the Insider builds?  Worst installs for them yet.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/cant-update-from-windows-10-insider-build-14383-to/4dbd951e-ac81-4346-8cb3-d1d5f9ded5c6?page=2&msgId=beeddc95-2dc2-46de-8cad-2b5d63a8a3db

Let's hope that whatever that was doesn't get left in the production build!   ; }

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, July 15, 2016 1:56 AM
  • Well noted. Since this is only for admins - I can live with this. We always have the reg key to fall back to.

Thanks for the quick response on this.

Benjamin

Friday, July 15, 2016 11:12 AM
  • I'm having the same issue with every PC that the updates are installed on.  Seems like if the BIOS is set to UEFI, you get a light blue screen.  If it is on Legacy, I get an orange screen with white stripes.  Can log in "blind" with the Bitlocker PIN.

I've replicated the issue on Dells and HPs.

Friday, July 15, 2016 1:29 PM
  • We had problems connecting to our local webserver when KB3163018 was installed (this has been a reported problem all over the Internet).  We removed 3018 and everything was working again.  Now KB3172985 has been installed and we can't access our server.  We get the "This page can't be displayed" error.  We removed 2985 and its working again.

Have a look at my conversation with NGCBSiegel on this thread, it's very likely the same issue. Thanks!
    Friday, July 15, 2016 2:26 PM
  • please let me know how the July Windows 10 update works for you!

494 is OK though still a poor performer.   But what happened to the Insider builds?  Worst installs for them yet.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/cant-update-from-windows-10-insider-build-14383-to/4dbd951e-ac81-4346-8cb3-d1d5f9ded5c6?page=2&msgId=beeddc95-2dc2-46de-8cad-2b5d63a8a3db

Let's hope that whatever that was doesn't get left in the production build!   ; }

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thanks Robert, that issue is being investigated. :-)
    Friday, July 15, 2016 2:27 PM
  • Well noted. Since this is only for admins - I can live with this. We always have the reg key to fall back to.

Thanks for the quick response on this.

Benjamin

Sounds good, glad we were able to get you where you needed to go. :-)
    Friday, July 15, 2016 2:28 PM
  • I'm having the same issue with every PC that the updates are installed on.  Seems like if the BIOS is set to UEFI, you get a light blue screen.  If it is on Legacy, I get an orange screen with white stripes.  Can log in "blind" with the Bitlocker PIN.

I've replicated the issue on Dells and HPs.

Thanks, we've been tracking this since yesterday but your insight as to the different behavior on UEFI vs. Legacy is interesting. I'll add that info to our investigation.

John

Friday, July 15, 2016 2:29 PM
  • Thanks for update

prashant

Friday, July 15, 2016 2:30 PM
  • Hello, is there an update on this issue? The reports about computers affected with the orange screen and white vertical lines is getting increased.
    Friday, July 15, 2016 3:04 PM
  • Dear John,

I have tried *again* to install the last update. And it ended as usual for the last few month : the ever lasting "spinning dots".

If I type Alt+Ctrl+Suppr, the Win10 login window is displayed ... with login prompt :-(

As usual, I uninstalled KB3172985. Just like the previous ones.

I kind of get desperate.

I uploaded my CBS directory as FilipsCBS_2016-07-14.7z

If you have any clue, I would love to give it a try.

Philippe

I think this is related to a problem that we're actively working on right now. Let me finish putting that solution together, and hopefully it'll resolve the problem you're seeing. Thanks!
    Friday, July 15, 2016 3:36 PM
  • They are a disaster! First problem is I have lost the ability to create new folders completely. That function has completely disappeared from my Context Menu. Ctrl, Shift, and N won't work either and while the "New Folder" icon still appears in the ribbon menu when you click on it nothing happens. Second problem is Properties have disappeared for all of my Drives. When I select properties from the context menu for any of my drives an error box pops up which says "The Properties for this item are not available" Third problem is left click will not open any folders. I can right click and select "open" to get access but a left click will not work. When I uninstalled the updates and blocked them using wushowhide.diagcab and did a system restore, the functionality of left clicking on folders returned and now works however the inability to create new folders and the Property error on my drives remains.  I have run sfc /scannow, Chkdsk and DISM all without success, Any ideas??
    Friday, July 15, 2016 4:51 PM
  • This doesn't feel like strictly an update-related issue, there are too many shell things going wrong to attribute to the July updates. Are you running a good antivirus/antimalware package?
    Friday, July 15, 2016 9:21 PM
  • Computer was working fine pre-update, no issues at all. After update reboot was when all the issues were first appeared, that’s too big of a coincidence for me. However I have run full systems scan with both Avast Antivirus and Malwarebytes both were negative. I’m thinking the Registry suffered some corruption but not sure where to begin to sort it out.
    Friday, July 15, 2016 10:44 PM
  • Hello,

I'm receiving an error for the latest update? It will not install. What is the problem?

Thanks

Saturday, July 16, 2016 12:16 PM
  •  not sure where to begin to sort it out.
    Consider uninstalling both packages to be sure that both sources of interference are no longer present?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, July 16, 2016 4:01 PM
  • If this was meant for me, I have already uninstalled both packages and blocked them. The damage remains however. I did a system restore which repaired one of my three issues but I still have two major problems (see above in thread) Plus I have to keep the updates blocked with wushowhide.diagcab without knowing exactly which one caused all of this. This is why I DO NOT like Cumulative updates.
    Saturday, July 16, 2016 4:49 PM
  • Hi John,

I’m back in town from WPC and was greeted this morning with numerous reports from our (internal) users (Win 10 Ent 64bit) of failed backups from Paragons latest Image backup software “Paragon Hard Disk Manager 15 Premium). The only thing I see (at this point) is that they all have last week’s update and this appears to be when their image backups of laptops and desktop PCs began failing. I see (on my own laptop) – potential related errors related to the following in the event log:

>>>>>>

Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

Details:

AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol.

System Error:

Access is denied.

>>>>>

Can you cross-check your telemetry data and provide any insight in this?

Thanks

Benjamin

• Edited by NGCBSiegel Monday, July 18, 2016 1:34 PM
    Monday, July 18, 2016 1:33 PM
  • I uploaded my cbs log to your one drive-  (JDMMS_JULY_CBS.zip)  i have always had issues with updates on this machine failing to install. 
    Monday, July 18, 2016 1:52 PM
  • Computer was working fine pre-update, no issues at all. After update reboot was when all the issues were first appeared, that’s too big of a coincidence for me. However I have run full systems scan with both Avast Antivirus and Malwarebytes both were negative. I’m thinking the Registry suffered some corruption but not sure where to begin to sort it out.

Rolling back to a restore point from before the update would rectify that. Can you give it a shot?
    Monday, July 18, 2016 3:12 PM
  • Hello,

I'm receiving an error for the latest update? It will not install. What is the problem?

Thanks

What's the specific error you're seeing?
    Monday, July 18, 2016 3:13 PM
  • Hi John,

I’m back in town from WPC and was greeted this morning with numerous reports from our (internal) users (Win 10 Ent 64bit) of failed backups from Paragons latest Image backup software “Paragon Hard Disk Manager 15 Premium). The only thing I see (at this point) is that they all have last week’s update and this appears to be when their image backups of laptops and desktop PCs began failing. I see (on my own laptop) – potential related errors related to the following in the event log:

>>>>>>

Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

Details:

AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol.

System Error:

Access is denied.

>>>>>

Can you cross-check your telemetry data and provide any insight in this?

Thanks

Benjamin

Seems like this error surfaces from time to time, I found a discussion of it here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/cryptographic-services-failed-while-processing-the/c4274af3-79fb-4412-8ca5-cee721bda112?rtAction=1405192846981

Monday, July 18, 2016 3:21 PM
  • I uploaded my cbs log to your one drive-  (JDMMS_JULY_CBS.zip)  i have always had issues with updates on this machine failing to install. 
    The ZIP only had CBS.log, which didn't have the error in it. Were there other files in that directory?
    Monday, July 18, 2016 3:23 PM
  • Ok- i zipped the entire folder- should be there now- thanks
    Monday, July 18, 2016 3:44 PM
  • Hi John and Team,

We are getting a strange error when trying to install this update using pkgmgr/CBS and the extracted CAB for the update. We have company policies requiring the installing to use CBS or we would just use Windows Update. We have confirmed the installation works using WSUS and SCCM as well as Windows Update. I have uploaded the logs to your one drive under TechNet and KB3172985.zip. The error is listed below and the command line we are using for pkgmgr is below as well. Any ideas on this error?

2016-07-14 17:13:26, Info                  CBS    pkgmgr called with: ""C:\Windows\Sysnative\pkgmgr.exe" /ip /m:"C:\Windows\TEMP\AAA7F537-09B9-46B4-A9C6-ADD187D34730" /quiet /norestart "
    2016-07-14 17:13:26, Info                  CBS    Executing DISM: "C:\Windows\system32\dism.exe" /online /quiet /norestart /add-package /packagepath:"C:\Windows\TEMP\AAA7F537-09B9-46B4-A9C6-ADD187D34730" /ignorecheck

ERROR:

2016-07-18 08:16:47, Info                  CBS    Plan: Package: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10586.494.1.7, Update: 3172985-8661_neutral_PACKAGE, current: Absent, pending: Default, start: Absent, applicable: Installed, targeted: Installed, limit: Installed, selected: Default
    2016-07-18 08:16:47, Error                 CBS    Failed to resolve package 'Package_1_for_KB3172985~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.7' [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
    2016-07-18 08:16:47, Error                 CBS    Failed to resolve child of Package: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10586.494.1.7 [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
    2016-07-18 08:16:47, Info                  CBS    Failed to add package: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10586.494.1.7 [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
    2016-07-18 08:16:47, Info                  CBS    Failed to plan execution. [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
    2016-07-18 08:16:47, Error                 CBS    Failed to process single phase execution. [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
    2016-07-18 08:16:47, Info                  CBS    WER: Generating failure report for package: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10586.494.1.7, status: 0x80070490, failure source: CBS Other, start state: Staged, target state: Installed, client id: DISM Package Manager Provider
    2016-07-18 08:16:47, Info                  CBS    Not able to query DisableWerReporting flag.  Assuming not set... [HRESULT = 0x80070002 - ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]

Monday, July 18, 2016 4:06 PM
  • My issue is the same but it is with VMWare 5.0 application won't allow hardware or service status tabs to work, so I can't get all the Info I need from the application, yess the application is Old but the client is not going to change it when the cost of getting new licenses is not justified when I can go to a Server that has the application installed and run it... I dont have the Diffe-Hellman section in my Registry should I add it?

Microsoft took another step forward and 3 back... I swear everyone that was there when Microsoft knew how to make life easier for PC users is gone.. We are IT professionals trying to use Internal tools not a bunch of know nothing users give us the option.... the New Update procedures for windows 10 are crappy.. sorry but if you actually listen to users and gave them the option to uninstall or install an update, or even not Roll it up into a big ball of an update so the entire security update would not have to be uninstalled it would be better.. Everyday Microsoft get more and more like Apple and Novel the companies you all but put out of business, now you are doing what they are doing no wonder more and more people are turning to Linux variants... 

Monday, July 18, 2016 5:07 PM
  • Hi John and Team,

We are getting a strange error when trying to install this update using pkgmgr/CBS and the extracted CAB for the update. We have company policies requiring the installing to use CBS or we would just use Windows Update. We have confirmed the installation works using WSUS and SCCM as well as Windows Update. I have uploaded the logs to your one drive under TechNet and KB3172985.zip. The error is listed below and the command line we are using for pkgmgr is below as well. Any ideas on this error?

2016-07-14 17:13:26, Info                  CBS    pkgmgr called with: ""C:\Windows\Sysnative\pkgmgr.exe" /ip /m:"C:\Windows\TEMP\AAA7F537-09B9-46B4-A9C6-ADD187D34730" /quiet /norestart "
    2016-07-14 17:13:26, Info                  CBS    Executing DISM: "C:\Windows\system32\dism.exe" /online /quiet /norestart /add-package /packagepath:"C:\Windows\TEMP\AAA7F537-09B9-46B4-A9C6-ADD187D34730" /ignorecheck

ERROR:

2016-07-18 08:16:47, Info                  CBS    Plan: Package: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10586.494.1.7, Update: 3172985-8661_neutral_PACKAGE, current: Absent, pending: Default, start: Absent, applicable: Installed, targeted: Installed, limit: Installed, selected: Default
    2016-07-18 08:16:47, Error                 CBS    Failed to resolve package 'Package_1_for_KB3172985~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.7' [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
    2016-07-18 08:16:47, Error                 CBS    Failed to resolve child of Package: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10586.494.1.7 [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
    2016-07-18 08:16:47, Info                  CBS    Failed to add package: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10586.494.1.7 [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
    2016-07-18 08:16:47, Info                  CBS    Failed to plan execution. [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
    2016-07-18 08:16:47, Error                 CBS    Failed to process single phase execution. [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
    2016-07-18 08:16:47, Info                  CBS    WER: Generating failure report for package: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10586.494.1.7, status: 0x80070490, failure source: CBS Other, start state: Staged, target state: Installed, client id: DISM Package Manager Provider
    2016-07-18 08:16:47, Info                  CBS    Not able to query DisableWerReporting flag.  Assuming not set... [HRESULT = 0x80070002 - ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]

Interesting, I'm able to reproduce this problem too. Let me look into it. Thanks!

John Wink [MSFT]

EDIT: I could reproduce with your files but when I re-downloaded the update, extracted the MSU and ran DISM against the Windows10.0-KB3172985-x64.cab file it worked correctly. Can you give that a shot?

Thanks!

Monday, July 18, 2016 5:17 PM
  • John,

I'm beyond SICK of the updates from Microsoft. Last Thursday I got up to find my Windows Machine sitting at a BSOD yet again. A cursory search on the internet via my phone revealed another Update from Microsoft. Pressed reset after sacrificing a chicken and jumping around the house like a mad man for 20 minutes. And presto - MS did it to me again. I couldn't boot - safe boot was shot, couldn't rollback and couldn't repair. This makes 14 updates from Microsoft that have done this to me to date. I have deferred updates checked and I'm getting the bloody things anyway and they HOSE my machine down EVERYTIME. 

I'm at my wits end here man - obviously since I've formatted and reinstalled the OS I've got no files for you too look at but seriously man - when is this NIGHTMARE going to end?

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the Software I have installed - SQL Server 6 versions, Visual Studio 4 versions, Office 3 versions and couple of third party development toys - Beyond Compare, TortoiseSVN, Github, VisualSVN, Resharper, Notepad++, The Microsoft SDK's and DDK's (ALL of them) but that's really all that's installed on this machine and all I ever install on it.
    • Edited by LordDelacroix Monday, July 18, 2016 8:02 PM Clarification
    Monday, July 18, 2016 7:53 PM
  • Any ideas on this error?

Problems involving this use of SysNative have been seen for a long time.  Some users even resorted to using mklink to create a controversial workaround

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-get-error-9c59-when-updating-internet-explorer/03d4473a-867b-44a5-9a37-913e9a5879cf?page=9

Normally I would be using ProcMon to supplement provided diagnostics.  The problem with that is that these updates are so huge and multi-step that that procedure may be harder to do.  For example, it would not be possible to trace to PageFile (the default) and you would probably have to limit the capture in some way, such as by trace size, filtering or both.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 4:35 AM
  • John,

I'm beyond SICK of the updates from Microsoft. Last Thursday I got up to find my Windows Machine sitting at a BSOD yet again. A cursory search on the internet via my phone revealed another Update from Microsoft. Pressed reset after sacrificing a chicken and jumping around the house like a mad man for 20 minutes. And presto - MS did it to me again. I couldn't boot - safe boot was shot, couldn't rollback and couldn't repair. This makes 14 updates from Microsoft that have done this to me to date. I have deferred updates checked and I'm getting the bloody things anyway and they HOSE my machine down EVERYTIME. 

I'm at my wits end here man - obviously since I've formatted and reinstalled the OS I've got no files for you too look at but seriously man - when is this NIGHTMARE going to end?

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the Software I have installed - SQL Server 6 versions, Visual Studio 4 versions, Office 3 versions and couple of third party development toys - Beyond Compare, TortoiseSVN, Github, VisualSVN, Resharper, Notepad++, The Microsoft SDK's and DDK's (ALL of them) but that's really all that's installed on this machine and all I ever install on it.

I really feel for you. :-(

As you said, without logs it's really hard to diagnose anything. I can offer a few thoughts though... It's unlikely (though not impossible) that any of that user-mode software is causing the issue. It's also odd that you get a crash when you try to update to *any* Cumulative Update, even after a clean install. This points to some kind of hard incompatibility.

Did you happen to note the stop code on the BSOD? That could help point us in the right direction. Also, what kind of computer is it?

Thanks, and I'm sorry this is such a painful process for you.

John

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 2:53 PM
  • We and our customers are suffering from the same problem. Online installation or using a WSUS would work, but there's a policy in place prohibiting those sources and enforcing offline updates using DISM.

Installation of Windows10.0-KB3172985-x64.cab via DISM on Build 10586.318 fails with error 0x80070490 if the cab is expanded manually and the directory containing the extracted files is used as the package path:

Processing 1 of 1 - Adding package Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10586.494.1.7
    [==========================100.0%==========================]
    An error occurred - Package_for_RollupFix Error: 0x80070490
    Error: 1168
    Element not found.

The related lines from the DISM log are:

Info   DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=5168 TID=1412 Package Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10586.494.1.7 with CBS state 0(CbsInstallStateAbsent) being mapped to dism state 1(DISM_INSTALL_STATE_NOTPRESENT) - CDISMPackage::LogInstallStateMapping
    Info   DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=5168 TID=1412 Initiating Changes on Package with values: 4, 7 - CDISMPackage::Internal_ChangePackageState
    Info   DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=5168 TID=1412 CBS session options=0x100! - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize
    Info   DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=5168 TID=1408  Error in operation: (null) (CBS HRESULT=0x80070490) - CCbsConUIHandler::Error
    Error  DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=5168 TID=1412 Failed finalizing changes. - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize(hr:0x80070490)
    Error  DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=5168 TID=1412 Failed processing package changes - CDISMPackageManager::ProcessChanges(hr:0x80070490)
    Info   DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=5168 TID=1412 Loaded servicing stack for online use only. - CDISMPackageManager::RefreshInstanceAndLock
    Error  DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=5168 TID=1412 Failed while processing command add-package. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x80070490)
    Info   DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=5168 TID=1412 Further logs for online package and feature related operations can be found at %WINDIR%\logs\CBS\cbs.log - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine
    Error  DISM  DISM.EXE: DISM Package Manager processed the command line but failed. HRESULT=80070490
    Info   DISM  DISM Provider Store: PID=5168 TID=1412 Found the OSServices.  Waiting to finalize it until all other providers are unloaded. - CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnDisconnect
    Info   DISM  DISM Provider Store: PID=5168 TID=1412 Found the OSServices.  Waiting to finalize it until all other providers are unloaded. - CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnDisconnect

When using the .cab directly as in "dism /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\temp\Windows10.0-KB3172985-x64.cab"" DISM is stuck at 1% forever:

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.10586.0
    Image Version: 10.0.10586.0
    Processing 1 of 1 - Adding package Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10586.494.1.7
    [                           1.0%                           ]

DISM log in that case is:

Info   DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=68 TID=5840 Package Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10586.494.1.7 with CBS state 0(CbsInstallStateAbsent) being mapped to dism state 1(DISM_INSTALL_STATE_NOTPRESENT) - CDISMPackage::LogInstallStateMapping
    Info   DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=68 TID=5840 Initiating Changes on Package with values: 4, 7 - CDISMPackage::Internal_ChangePackageState
    Info   DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=68 TID=5840 CBS session options=0x100! - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize

We have downloaded the patch several times both via the URL specified in the wsusscn2.cab as well as through catalog.update.microsoft.com with no change in the final outcome: The patch cannot be installed.

In each case, the SHA256 of the .cab and .msu where:

5628cf6e0dfbb36e6a97188a6a2a015ff17785279eaa0b04cd026bf7d5343276 *Windows10.0-KB3172985-x64.cab
    8fcff4156da58b25a5af9bf0d74f6326345c460ee974b73333a39702ce82c2a5 *AMD64-all-windows10.0-kb3172985-x64_006b20fc4c418499afa25248edacff2ef7dab963.msu

Hope this helps in tracking down the issue and am looking forward to a speedy solution. As is - and the nature of only having one massive cumulative update isn't helping here - we and our customers are waiting on important security updates.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 3:28 PM
  • The related lines from the DISM log are:

I think the DISM log is more summary than detail.  E.g. do we know *what* "element" was not found?  There may be more relevant detail somewhere else at the same time.  CBS.log might have it or it might be somewhere else.  That's why I would be running ProcMon.  Filter with Operation Is WriteFile and summarize with Count Occurrences.  Otherwise try using File Explorer for DateModified:Today , sort by DateModified and scroll to when the update failed.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 4:45 PM
  • We and our customers are suffering from the same problem. Online installation or using a WSUS would work, but there's a policy in place prohibiting those sources and enforcing offline updates using DISM.

Installation of Windows10.0-KB3172985-x64.cab via DISM on Build 10586.318 fails with error 0x80070490 if the cab is expanded manually and the directory containing the extracted files is used as the package path:

[==========================100.0%==========================]
    An error occurred - Package_for_RollupFix Error: 0x80070490
    Error: 1168
    Element not found.

The related lines from the DISM log are:

Info   DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=5168 TID=1412 Package Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10586.494.1.7 with CBS state 0(CbsInstallStateAbsent) being mapped to dism state 1(DISM_INSTALL_STATE_NOTPRESENT) - CDISMPackage::LogInstallStateMapping
    Info   DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=5168 TID=1412 Initiating Changes on Package with values: 4, 7 - CDISMPackage::Internal_ChangePackageState
    Info   DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=5168 TID=1412 CBS session options=0x100! - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize
    Info   DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=5168 TID=1408  Error in operation: (null) (CBS HRESULT=0x80070490) - CCbsConUIHandler::Error
    Error  DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=5168 TID=1412 Failed finalizing changes. - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize(hr:0x80070490)
    Error  DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=5168 TID=1412 Failed processing package changes - CDISMPackageManager::ProcessChanges(hr:0x80070490)
    Info   DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=5168 TID=1412 Loaded servicing stack for online use only. - CDISMPackageManager::RefreshInstanceAndLock
    Error  DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=5168 TID=1412 Failed while processing command add-package. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x80070490)
    Info   DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=5168 TID=1412 Further logs for online package and feature related operations can be found at %WINDIR%\logs\CBS\cbs.log - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine
    Error  DISM  DISM.EXE: DISM Package Manager processed the command line but failed. HRESULT=80070490

When using the .cab directly as in "dism /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\temp\Windows10.0-KB3172985-x64.cab"" DISM is stuck at 1% forever:

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.10586.0
    Image Version: 10.0.10586.0
    [                           1.0%                           ]

DISM log in that case is:

Info   DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=68 TID=5840 Package Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10586.494.1.7 with CBS state 0(CbsInstallStateAbsent) being mapped to dism state 1(DISM_INSTALL_STATE_NOTPRESENT) - CDISMPackage::LogInstallStateMapping
    Info   DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=68 TID=5840 Initiating Changes on Package with values: 4, 7 - CDISMPackage::Internal_ChangePackageState
    Info   DISM  DISM Package Manager: PID=68 TID=5840 CBS session options=0x100! - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize

We have downloaded the patch several times both via the URL specified in the wsusscn2.cab as well as through catalog.update.microsoft.com with no change in the final outcome: The patch cannot be installed.

In each case, the SHA256 of the .cab and .msu where:

5628cf6e0dfbb36e6a97188a6a2a015ff17785279eaa0b04cd026bf7d5343276 *Windows10.0-KB3172985-x64.cab
    8fcff4156da58b25a5af9bf0d74f6326345c460ee974b73333a39702ce82c2a5 *AMD64-all-windows10.0-kb3172985-x64_006b20fc4c418499afa25248edacff2ef7dab963.msu

Hope this helps in tracking down the issue and am looking forward to a speedy solution. As is - and the nature of only having one massive cumulative update isn't helping here - we and our customers are waiting on important security updates.

Robert's right, it'd be useful to see the DISM (and other) logs. Can you run the copylogs tool from my OneDrive and upload the resulting ZIP file to the TechNet folder as DanaPeabody.zip? My OneDrive is here:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtwXjrnjoGBmlw9JslDsRkkU0xzV

Thanks,

John Wink [MSFT]

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 7:54 PM

• EDIT: I could reproduce with your files but when I re-downloaded the update, extracted the MSU and ran DISM against the Windows10.0-KB3172985-x64.cab file it worked correctly. Can you give that a shot?

Thanks!

Hi John,

I was able to run dism against the cab and it worked correctly like you stated. Unfortunately we are not able to use the cab and just like someone else said in this thread as well, the extracted contents fail to install still. I have tried redownloading, re-extracting and still have the same error. The effort to change to using the cab is a large one and not something that can easily be done. Any possibility at looking in to this further?

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:06 PM

• EDIT: I could reproduce with your files but when I re-downloaded the update, extracted the MSU and ran DISM against the Windows10.0-KB3172985-x64.cab file it worked correctly. Can you give that a shot?

Thanks!

Hi John,

I was able to run dism against the cab and it worked correctly like you stated. Unfortunately we are not able to use the cab and just like someone else said in this thread as well, the extracted contents fail to install still. I have tried redownloading, re-extracting and still have the same error. The effort to change to using the cab is a large one and not something that can easily be done. Any possibility at looking in to this further?

I'm curious as to the difference from an operational perspective. I used to be a pretty serious ops guy, but I've been out of that world for a while now. Understanding the impact might help me figure out a solution.

Thanks!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:36 PM
  • issues encountered affecting Point & Print Restrictions policy settings, seems a possible regression across Win10 and Win7:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/030ee94a-047d-460a-bc39-52351a199364/kb3163912-breaks-point-and-print-restrictions-gpo-settings?forum=winserverGP

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:48 PM
  • issues encountered affecting Point & Print Restrictions policy settings, seems a possible regression across Win10 and Win7:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/030ee94a-047d-460a-bc39-52351a199364/kb3163912-breaks-point-and-print-restrictions-gpo-settings?forum=winserverGP

I don't know, Don, you're showing 94,457 points to my 1,330 points here on TechNet. Maybe you *should* be working here! :-)

Anyway, I have a feeling this has to do with untrusted print drivers. I'm not sure of the best approach, but at least to start, do you think that's a factor?

Thanks!

John Wink [MSFT]

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 9:47 PM
  • Update KB3172985 gives me error 0x000012f saying rsaenh.dll is either not desgned to run on windows or contains an error and now half my programs won't start. Is there any fix for this? Only way to fix this I found was to uninstall the update, but the update just reinstall as soon as I shutdown/restart my PC. 
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 10:56 PM
  • Thanks for all the prompt responses John. It is a legacy script that no one really wants to modify as it would be a large change that requires extensive testing. I am digging in to the procmon trace as well as event logs around the time of a failed install.

We have tried running dism and sfc /scannow to find and fix any potential system problems. Both reported back no issues on our test box.

I ran the same command that failed before to get a procmon trace. Digging further in to ProcMon and noticed an interesting switch that TiWorker.exe does when trying create a .mum file. It is trying to write to the directory specified in the command line.

Success:

3:46:31.9855787 PM TiWorker.exe 4428 CreateFile C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_2537_for_KB3172985~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.7.mum SUCCESS Desired Access: Generic Read, Dis"Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre;"> TiWorker.exe 4428 CreateFile C:\Windows\Temp\AAA7F537-09B9-46B4-A9C6-ADD187D34730\Package_1_for_KB3172985~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.7.mum NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read Attributes, Dis, Options: Open For Backup, Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a

This matches the same time that CBS log shows the failure:

2016-07-19 15:46:32, Info                  CBS    Plan: Package: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10586.494.1.7, Update: 3172985-8661_neutral_PACKAGE, current: Absent, pending: Default, start: Absent, applicable: Installed, targeted: Installed, limit: Installed, selected: Default
    2016-07-19 15:46:32, Error                 CBS    Failed to resolve package 'Package_1_for_KB3172985~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.7' [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
    2016-07-19 15:46:32, Error                 CBS    Failed to resolve child of Package: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10586.494.1.7 [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
    2016-07-19 15:46:32, Info                  CBS    Failed to add package: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10586.494.1.7 [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
    2016-07-19 15:46:32, Info                  CBS    Failed to plan execution. [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
    2016-07-19 15:46:32, Error                 CBS    Failed to process single phase execution. [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
    2016-07-19 15:46:32, Info                  CBS    WER: Generating failure report for package: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10586.494.1.7, status: 0x80070490, failure source: CBS Other, start state: Resolved, target state: Installed, client id: DISM Package Manager Provider

I would post the screen shots of procmon but I am waiting for account verification to occur. Hope that is helpful.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 11:29 PM
  • Having enormous problems after this update
    I run lost and found pet pages on facebook and my computer wont load the images and pages and tasks very quickly any more sometimes to the point of having to restart the computer which sometimes fixes it for a short while then problem returns after i have shut down my laptop and turn back on  (as opposed to restarting) it goes straight into slomo mode  
    Wednesday, July 20, 2016 12:31 AM
  • I experienced the same issue as Xnessuno, only on a surface pro 4. The kb3172985 update fails. It restarts twice then displays a 'cannot complete the update' error message and rolls back, performing 2 additional restarts to roll back. I have run dism and sfc. Originally dism found an error with clopen.dll (or was it opencl.dll?), I ran dism pointing to another source and corrected the file, then ran sfc with no errors. Rebooted. Install of kb3172985 failed again. I have uploaded my logs to your one drive as a file ending in ...VS-DUL-SL-0640-20160719-193650.zip for your recommendations.
    Wednesday, July 20, 2016 1:44 AM
  • This update fails to install on my computer and goes into the loop of retrying, failing and restarting the computer. The event log does not provide any further details other than telling me it has failed. The link to Event Log Online Help takes me to the home page of microsoft. Kindly suggest me some tips to fix this.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 10:21 AM

I don't know, Don, you're showing 94,457 points to my 1,330 points here on TechNet. Maybe you *should* be working here! :-)

Anyway, I have a feeling this has to do with untrusted print drivers. I'm not sure of the best approach, but at least to start, do you think that's a factor?

:D

my bet would be on a change in the ntprint/ntspooler code shipping in this CU and that it's cross-contaminated into Win7 too.
    But I've played this poker machine before and got three lemons so wouldn't bet the farm on it..

Those who are having this trouble might otherwise log premier cases etc to get that confirmation, so am just leaving it here in case it might be helpful to do so.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 10:56 AM
  • 2016-07-19 15:46:32, Info                  CBS    WER: Generating failure report for package: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10586.494.1.7, status: 0x80070490, failure source: CBS Other, start state: Resolved, target state: Installed, client id: DISM Package Manager Provider

If that ERROR_NOT_FOUND really is percolating down from the *CreateFile* Operation perhaps you should try making sure that it exists next time?    Otherwise, I would keep looking.   <eg>

BTW if you have two systems one which can install and apply this update and the problem one, be aware that you could save both ProcMon traces in the .PML format and usefully compare the two traces side by side to try to find where the divergence begins.  We can see where it ends but I'm skeptical that this will be where it begins.  E.g. I have the impression that a lot of reporting is done after the fact and ProcMon may not even have access to the most significant parts of the procedure, particularly if it is being cached to RAM ahead of time.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 11:51 AM
  • I ran sfc scan and it showed errors- then ran dism and repaired with iso, ran sfc again and showed good. The update still fails. I have also uninstalled all nvidia related drivers packs and programs, then had dev mgr install the driver. Still fails- do you need another cab folder upload?
    Wednesday, July 20, 2016 1:12 PM
  • I experienced the same issue as Xnessuno

I don't think so.   Here's your error

2016-07-19 17:59:46, Info                  CBS    Progress: UI message updated. Operation type: Update. Stage: 1 out of 1. Percent progress: 58.

2016-07-19 17:59:56, Error                 CSI    00000158@2016/7/19:22:59:56.822 (F) base\wcp\rtllib\inc\auto_hive.h(158): Error STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION originated in function Windows::Rtl::AutoHive::Load expression: Status

[gle=0x80004005]

Strangely in your  SetupAPI.Dev.log (where we would see the SDBUS error) there is this which is reported earlier

>>>  [Enable Device Install]

>>>  Section start 2016/07/19 17:59:43.691

cmd: C:\windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.486_none_7640e086266ea227\TiWorker.exe -Embedding

ump: Device 'ROOT\PHIONVPN\0000' has problem. Code = 22, Status = 0x00000000.

ump: DeviceInstall service is not started.

<<<  Section end 2016/07/19 17:59:43.707

<<<  [Exit status: SUCCESS]

That looks like a possible incompatibility

PS>net helpmsg 22

The device does not recognize the command.

So, if you wanted to try something to change that part of your symptom description I suggest it would be uninstalling the product which brings you that device.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 1:46 PM
  • 2016-07-19 15:46:32, Info                  CBS    WER: Generating failure report for package: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10586.494.1.7, status: 0x80070490, failure source: CBS Other, start state: Resolved, target state: Installed, client id: DISM Package Manager Provider

If that ERROR_NOT_FOUND really is percolating down from the *CreateFile* Operation perhaps you should try making sure that it exists next time?    Otherwise, I would keep looking.   <eg>

BTW if you have two systems one which can install and apply this update and the problem one, be aware that you could save both ProcMon traces in the .PML format and usefully compare the two traces side by side to try to find where the divergence begins.  We can see where it ends but I'm skeptical that this will be where it begins.  E.g. I have the impression that a lot of reporting is done after the fact and ProcMon may not even have access to the most significant parts of the procedure, particularly if it is being cached to RAM ahead of time.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thanks for the response Robert. I have watched the directory the whole time during the update. The file never gets created. We are simply running the pkgmgr command which calls dism.exe and it handles the rest. The user has no control over unpacking the file mentioned. 

This same process works for other cumulative updates on the box that KB3172985 fails on with this error. We have tried multiple other Windows 10 computers that all fail using pkgmgr and the decompressed cab.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 2:10 PM
  • If that ERROR_NOT_FOUND really is percolating down from the *CreateFile* Operation perhaps you should try making sure that it exists next time?    Otherwise, I would keep looking.   <eg>

Thanks for the response Robert. I have watched the directory the whole time during the update. The file never gets created.

OK.  I was being slightly facetious about "making sure that it exists next time" but provided there is also not a preceding step which would delete it, doing that would change your symptom for this "CreateFile" operation.  That is the only point I was making here.

Ah.  I just noticed the "Open Reparse Point" part of the trace entry and it makes me remember that others appear to be having problems with broken NTFS links.  So, what about the other filename mentioned in that entry, perhaps it has an invalid link?  E.g. try using 

fsutil  hardlink  list  C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_2537_for_KB3172985~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.7.mum

and see if there is a bad link associated with it?

Or what about just doing a PowerShell  Get-Item for it and piping to  Flist  * 

FWIW doing that myself is inconclusive.  The file exists but it has no links.  It might be interesting to see what else was happening when it was "created" though.  Mine was created several days after it was written which I suppose proves it was unpacked from somewhere.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 5:30 PM
  • I experienced the same issue as Xnessuno, only on a surface pro 4. The kb3172985 update fails. It restarts twice then displays a 'cannot complete the update' error message and rolls back, performing 2 additional restarts to roll back. I have run dism and sfc. Originally dism found an error with clopen.dll (or was it opencl.dll?), I ran dism pointing to another source and corrected the file, then ran sfc with no errors. Rebooted. Install of kb3172985 failed again. I have uploaded my logs to your one drive as a file ending in ...VS-DUL-SL-0640-20160719-193650.zip for your recommendations.

Just from the snippet that Robert pasted below, I think you're experiencing the following...

In Regedit under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList you will see a list of profiles by SID. In each there should be a ProfileImagePath value. Two of those have the same value, which is invalid. You need to correct this to get the update to install.

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 8:15 PM
  • Having enormous problems after this update
    I run lost and found pet pages on facebook and my computer wont load the images and pages and tasks very quickly any more sometimes to the point of having to restart the computer which sometimes fixes it for a short while then problem returns after i have shut down my laptop and turn back on  (as opposed to restarting) it goes straight into slomo mode  

I know this is going to sound really weird, but is your laptop plugged in? The power savings in my laptop cause it to be incredibly slow when browsing the internet if I'm running on battery, but it works fine if it's plugged in.
    Wednesday, July 20, 2016 8:47 PM
  • I'm finding that something in KB3172985 is crippling my computer on every attempted install. It fails at around 90% and says undoing changes, and then on reboot I get the BIOS reports no bootable device. To date, the only way I've been able to recover is by restoring the EFI partition from an old backup, and then using the console tools in the windows 10 recovery media (bootrec /fixboot and bootrec /rebuildbcd) to enable it to boot. The bootrec commands won't work for me until I've recovered the EFI partition from an old backup. After successfully rebooting the laptop, the update tries to install again. Rinse and repeat.

Not sure what best to do about it at the moment.  And given the update is a cumulative update, it's hard to know exactly which update is to blame (though I'd guess the secure boot one is a likely candidate).

Thursday, July 21, 2016 2:10 AM
  • Having same issues with installation. System is just 2 months old, no third party antivirus.
    Win10 x64 PRO. I7, 16GB RAM, SSD+HDD, Nvidia SLI.

Logs are in here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45262183/CbsPersist_20160720130122.log

So far tried updater troubleshooter, SoftwareDistribution cleaning, manual install from file, no go.
    Also resetting Windows Update Components ()

It does download, it does ask to reboot, but during start it instantly says rolling back changes, after that GamePanel.exe is corrupted and then update is attempted to install during next reboot again and again.

This is desktop computer with wired connection.
    • Edited by Vaidotas.P Thursday, July 21, 2016 9:16 AM
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 9:07 AM
  • Not sure what best to do about it at the moment.

My guess would be that you are seeing a problem with the Boot File Servicing part of the update.

C.f.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/build-14383-does-not-instalall-error-message/530275e7-7780-4d96-a3af-9e4ed54a28f9#LastReply

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, July 21, 2016 12:11 PM
  • Logs are in here:

2016-07-20 14:44:27, Info                  CBS    Exec: Express package staging finished without any missing file to download.

Did you see anything interesting in there?  Otherwise I don't think you have included a helpful chunk.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, July 21, 2016 12:47 PM
  • After the involuntary installation of Windows 10 update KB3172985, my older version of the game Risk would not open.  I un-installed the update and it now runs fine.  I would like to decline the installation of this flawed update in the future.  How do I do that in Windows 10 (which I hate, by the way)?
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 2:43 PM
  • P.s.  I tried using “wushowhide.diagcab” and the KB3172985 does not appear, so I am unable to hide it.
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 4:03 PM
  • My dell oem built windows 10 professional PC was totalled by win 10 auto updates on 20th July 2016. It will not boot. I relented with all the nags, said ok to install updates on 19th july so dont know which ones killed it, but it gets stuck at the dots timer and refuses to boot into windows.I recall some large update possibly ending in '511'? Unbelievably for an OS in 2016, there is no default safe mode!!. THere is NO default way to fix a win 10 install that will not boot! Google threads point to having to manually enable this in windows 10..if you can get into windows 10. What a backward step. Restore from system restore (which was a few days before the update) failed. I am having to download the dell factory image. This is costing me 1000s in lost time . It was a relatively new laptop from dell.

Microsoft should...

enable safe mode by default

disable updates by default on professional at least. 

i have uefi bios laptop. impossible to interrupt boot into a broken windows 10 that hangs at the circular dots.At the risk of stating the obvious, engineers need to be able to interrupt boot. 

What a mess. Im now trying to get the multinational corporation that I work in to delay any move towards windows 10 as its not fit for purpose and is uncontrollable in the corporate, audited environment. 

Thursday, July 21, 2016 9:52 PM
  • ok, i can replicate this now without too much damage as i have safe mode and restore points enabled.

the problem is with the cumulative update assocaiated with windows 10 1511. It doesnt work with a dell inspiron 15 7559 that was purchased in the last few months and came preloaded with windows 10 (a n older version). Almost no additional software had been installed on this pc. THere a lot of web talk of a faulty 1511 installation that damages some aspect of the registry. Is there a fix for the update / Is it possible to bypass this update altogether and get redstone? Or can you only get to redstone from 1511?

Friday, July 22, 2016 9:04 PM
  • 494 is OK though still a poor performer.   But what happened to the Insider builds?  Worst installs for them yet.

I am now having my worst post-install experience ever.  After getting 14393 for my VM the Hyper-V Manager kept saying "not enough Virtual memory" to start it, no matter what I did.  I'm not sure what happened next.  I wasn't keeping notes.  What I hope I did (i.e. in this order) is:  use a restore point to get back to 420, still see that the VM was broken and so tried to remove Hyper-V.  In the past I have always found that removing Hyper-V was a good thing to try when trying to resolve problems with my VM.  (If in fact, I did it the other way around I will admit I may have shot myself in the foot.)  In any case, what happened next is 420 no longer had Network access.  The Network troubleshooters were useless (as usual).  It looked like the drivers for both ASIX AX88179 and Marvell AVASTAR 350N had been regressed and nothing I tried was helping getting them going again.  I had a Windows.ISO of uncertain version (but apparently sufficiently current) that I was finally able to get Networking again by doing an In-place "upgrade" with it.  That brought me back to 10586.0.  Subsequent WU brought me back up to 10586.494 but now I am still having problem symptoms (e.g. slowness and crashes in Settings) with that, so I am not going to try to activate Hyper-V again until those are fixed.  I think there is an ISO on TechBench which is more recent than what I had to use while I didn't have any network access, so getting that and doing another in-place upgrade is going to be my next step.  This will be handier than using "sneaker net" to do the same thing which I was looking at as my only option before getting connectivity again.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:56 PM
  • Thanks for the tip!!

works like a charm!! ;)

Monday, December 12, 2016 11:37 AM