Win7 update constant failures "WindowsUpdate_00009C47" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried everything that I have read without success.

Clean boot, turned off security and went through all updates as below:

2729094, 2731771, 2533623, 2670838, 2786081, 2834140, 2639308, 2888049, 2882822.

Most of these were recognised as already installed.

I've also ran the MS Fixit tool with no success.

The PC has Win7 Home Premium x64 with SP1 with 4gb RAM. I've checked that all fixes are the 64 bit versions and even tried running SP1 again, which recognised it was already installed.

Help, please.

Saturday, October 25, 2014 12:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you give us more information about your issue?

Please check if these Windows Updates have been already installed:

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.

2. In the left pane, click View update history, click Installed Updates to check if these KB numbers exist.

Meanwhile, we could run this Windows Update troubleshooter to try to resolve the issue:

Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Karen Hu Monday, October 27, 2014 6:26 AM update
    Monday, October 27, 2014 6:25 AM
  • Hi Karen,

The laptop in question belongs to a relation of mine that isn't at all 'tech-savvy'. I did a thorough cleanup using CCleaner/Malawarebytes/Adwcleaner. These at least made it usable. My concern is that as its running IE 10 and unable to run 'updates', it will become more vulnerable when 'online'.

You didn't state the KB numbers. I listed the ones that were listed as needed prior to installing IE 11, but nothing will install. Most of them showed as installed when trying to install. I also downloaded the IE11 x64 installer, which got part the way then said updates were needed.

As I mentioned, I tried the Microsoft Fixit Tool which seemingly made a fix very quickly but it didn't make any difference.

I also tried the suggestion of turning off security before installation. Again nothing installed.

I tried a Clean Boot, also Safe Mode, the same results every time.

Keith

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 5:06 PM
  • By saying "This at least made it usable" did it have malware  (a virus)? That could have really messed with some settings and even though you removed a virus the damage is already done. 

In which case, a system restore to a previous point or a complete re-installation of Windows is recommended.

Don't forget to mark the post that solved your issue as "Answered." By marking the Answer you are enabling users with similar issues to find what helped you. Lewis Renwick - IT Professional

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 5:15 PM
  • It did have malware and adware but after the scans, it works fine with the exception of windows updates.

Lots of restore points were created during uninstalling (many pieces of 'crapware') and new installing of other software. 

When tracing the history of Windows updates failing to install, the first failure was in June last year. With almost all attempts in the last 9 months.

I appreciate that a clean install of Windows would be a good idea, but I was hoping a simpler fix would be available, particularly when it is running fine in all other ways. Also from running scans for all types of malicious threats, it comes up clean.

Keith

Thursday, October 30, 2014 8:43 PM
  • Hi Keith,

Have you followed my steps to check if those Windows Updates installed or not?

Before doing a clean installation, I would like to suggest you do a repair installation using recovery disk or installation disk.

Karen Hu

Monday, November 3, 2014 7:10 AM
  • Hi Karen,

You didn't list which updates, (I presume you mean my list). The ones that I listed in my original post were all either installed or mentioned as not needed.

I wanted to avoid a clean installation as it's not my PC and the owner doesn't backup!!! Though most data is unimportant.

Thanks,

Keith

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 10:29 AM
  • Hi Keith,

I mean the list you provided at the first reply.

According to my understanding, the error occurred when you attempted to installed those Windows Update, right?

If yes, since those updates were recognized as already installed. Please check if it indeed installed, if yes, you don't need to install them again.

If it has not installed, it should be installation failing last time. Repair installation using recovery disk or installation disk, and then, try it again.

Karen Hu

• Proposed as answer by Lewis Renwick Monday, November 10, 2014 3:47 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 6:01 AM