none
BitDefender antivirus 2009's weekly.exe manual update installer can't access BitDefender registry keys and so, doesn't install ! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have Windows 7 RC build 7100 (x64) installed on an Intel Quad 2 Core Q8200 with 4GB RAM , Nvidia 9400 GT 1GB video card and 160GB HDD. I had to install BitDefender Antivirus 2009 in compatibility mode and it did, however when I try to install weekly.exe manual updates it can`t access BitDefender`s registry keys. I tried extracting from the .exe the .msi file and typed in cmd: "msiexec /i weekly.msi /l* log.txt", the log.txt file shows the registry keys the .msi are trying to access, however they exist and, for testing, if I try to change its values with regedit there appears a message like this: "Windows Security: Can`t change values". What can I do?
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 11:45 PM

Answers

• From the BitDefender website:

BitDefender and Windows 7 

Summary:

At the moment the BitDefender 2008 and 2009 products are not fully compatible with Windows 7.

Detailed description:

Windows 7 is currently in a BETA state and until a final version is released you might encounter unexpected issues with different applications.

Future BitDefender products (BitDefender 2010) will be fully compatible with Windows 7 (the final version of the operating system). 

-Nick
    Friday, May 29, 2009 8:18 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Make sure you are running the installer with administrative rights when installing the application.
    Select "run as administrator" from the right click menu of your installer executable / msi.

If you are running it as a command in the command shell, you need to have the command shell started as administrator using the procedure above.
    The same goes for regedit when trying to modify values.

Best regards,
    Sigurd Flaatten
    Friday, May 29, 2009 12:50 PM
  • Yes, I know that and did it many times on Vista, for example, when installing Apache HTTP Server. However I tried installing the weekly.msi as administrator in cmd but doesn't work, it stills says can`t access registry keys.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 2:34 PM
  • Fra-X,

I would attempt to uninstall and then reinstall BitDefender as something could have gotten overwritten in the registry incorrectly when the program was installed.

Also, for great Windows 7 forums and various helpful resources head on over to Microsoft Springboard.

http://tinyurl.com/832nco

Jessica
    Microsoft TechNet / Springboard

Friday, May 29, 2009 7:52 PM
  • From the BitDefender website:

BitDefender and Windows 7 

Summary:

At the moment the BitDefender 2008 and 2009 products are not fully compatible with Windows 7.

Detailed description:

Windows 7 is currently in a BETA state and until a final version is released you might encounter unexpected issues with different applications.

Future BitDefender products (BitDefender 2010) will be fully compatible with Windows 7 (the final version of the operating system). 

-Nick
    Friday, May 29, 2009 8:18 PM