How one can remove the arrow on the desktop shortcuts? RRS feed

• Question

• It seems strange that with newer versions of Windows it's getting harder and harder to make even the usual changes to the UI. In XP I just used TweakUI, although one could edit the registry directly and choose, whether to have the arrows or not. OK, there is no TweakUI for Vista or 7, there are some third-party apps, but now often I read that removing arrows by one method or other would screw up the shortcuts, they will no longer be "pinnable" and so on. Is there a safe method to get rid of those arrows? Not a major issue of course, but they are way to big for my taste.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:08 PM

All replies

• It's for vista but I just tested it on my 7. The download had no virus but please use at your own risk.

http://download.cnet.com/Vista-Shortcut-Overlay-Remover/3000-2072_4-10608910.html?cdlPid=10789429

Duck.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 9:11 PM
  • The program I posted the link to uses the exact same method but automatic. You can subsititute icons in it's program folder.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons]
    "29"="H:\\Program Files\\Frameworkx\\FxVisor\\Arrow.ico,0"

Added by Forum Moderator:

Warning: While this solution solves the issue or problem, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk. For more information about modifying the registry, see Microsoft support article 256986.

Duck.
    • Edited by Ronnie VernonMVP Saturday, September 5, 2009 12:46 AM Required Regedit Warning
    Friday, September 4, 2009 11:37 PM

• Well Mr7, as we were discussing before my posts were rudely deleted by some abusively renegade moderator, I used a technique posted earlier in this forum.  That post was deleted too, right after I mentioned it here.  Just an additional petty gesture to be complete.    The essence of that earlier post is transcribed as follows:

The following link is posted elsewhere in this Win7 forum.  Others have reported it works very well with Win7.  I am happily using it with Vista.

http://computerperformance.co.uk/vista/vista_registry_remove_shortcut.htm

The idea behind this method is to make the shortcut arrow invisible, rather than trying to defeat its being displayed.  It substitutes a transparent overlay for the arrow icon.  You download it (noarrow.ico) from that same page as the instructions, and put it in your Windows folder.  Then you make the registry tweak they illustrate.  Then reboot.  While their instructions do seem to work, it seems technically incorrect to me.  So, I made a minor modification:

Instead of "REG_SZ", I constructed the entry 29 REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemRoot%\noarrow.ico,0
    in key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Shell Icons

The "elsewhere" I was referring to was this Feb 16 post:  How to get rid of ugly shortcut arrows, which contains these equivalent solutions:

How to remove or modify the Shortcut overlay in Windows 7 and Vista

and the one I specifically referenced:  http://tinyurl.com/auvmxf

I had also previously posted this link in this forum, which likewise has been pruned:  http://windowsxp.mvps.org/arrow.htm

It offers the particularly creative approach to obtaining the transparent icon:  C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll,50 .  Unfortunately, I found this sometimes produced briefly visible graphic transitions.  I think it has something to do with System32 and UAC.

What do you think, Mr7 ?   Do you have any idea why  shell32.dll, 50   might cause an issue?  I think it is especially nice to be able to use a built-in blank icon.

Saturday, September 5, 2009 12:03 PM
  • Sorry for the delayed reply but it is nice to use a blank icon for example when it's time to execute a resource and it's missing causing chaos and havoc during runtime yes in some instances it would be beneficial to have your embedded resource inplace rather than not.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 5:17 AM
  • On the other hand imageres.dll is an example of a file that you can hack to death and afterwards runs better than ever. The startup .WAV jingle. The parrot drinking from the olive branch. The hypnotic green ring that twirls around and around and around and all of those things that go on during logon, but all mine does is say "welcome".
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 5:25 AM
  • Is not the clutter of desktop icons a little (pardonne-moi) rather Windows 98 passe? How can one enjoy the Desktop Themes, backgrounds of this day & age beneath a clutter of arrowed Icons.

If you put them in a toolbar you create or pin to task bar the arrow dissappears! Is it Majiq?

That is what you do.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 6:02 AM