none
Changing quorum configuration, hyper-v 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I just added a third node to my 2008 R2 Hyper-v cluster, and it recommended that I now change my quorum to Node Majority from Node and Disk Majority.  Can I do that while my cluster is live without any downtime or anything?  I just want to make sure non of the 70+ VMs have any problems during the transition.

With a 3 node Cluster, is it best to leave 1 of the nodes empty with no VMs on it and then have that one be available if one of the other 2 nodes fails?

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 4:55 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can do it with no downtime.  As far as planning goes I would just size my servers so that any two can split the load of the VMs at any given time.  If you want to leave one as a standby server that obviously works but you might think you could get slightly better performance if you spread the load across all three during normal operations.  I guess the benefit of leaving one empty is that as VM sprawl occurs (which inevitably it does) you can be sure that you still have enough resources in the event that one server fails, assuming all servers are equal.
    David A. Bermingham, MVP Senior Technical Evangelist, SteelEye Technology
    • Marked as answer by wsual Tuesday, December 7, 2010 9:46 PM
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 7:47 PM