How to make a manageable courseroom? RRS feed

• Question

• Up until now we are using VPC's that are copied locally to workstations. A batch file  is running on a server and simply waits for a request to copy certain VPC's.
    It is a working solution, but requires some interaction from the trainer and assisent to have this setup right before the course members enter.

I'm looking for a different approach, because we now have Hyper-V installed, and wonder if it's possible to use for instance VDI.
    But I also want to have a more easy to manage environment. For instance it should be possible, for an assistant trainer, to deploy 10 new VPC's (VDI's) by the click of a button.
    This is of cause slightly over exaggerated, but I hope you know a way to approach this.

Does anyone have a working solution, which is easy to deploy and manage.
    Can this be done with microsoft only products or are there any good products around capable of easy managing a courseroom.
    Are there any good articles around, describing the setup of a courseroom.

Thanks for your reply,
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 2:16 PM

Answers

• hi,

I had this dilemma a while ago when my task was to setup a large classroom and the request was that each couple of days there will be different state (OS) on the machines. After piloting various solutions including Hyper-v I came to conclusion that using ESXI solution will be the best. One of major pluses i have seen:

• you don't need super computers at the back-end
    • you can have a various set of OS templates than can be easy to deploy
    • One central management point
    • Easy to use and implement from zero to working state
    • Central storage
    • Support for 1GB lan speeds
    • Server depended resource (a "monster" - i mean latest on the market) will give higher performance

NOTE: this is a subjective test, in my opinion i would check and pilot a small group of computers to see what fits you best. If you look at most advances classrooms you will  see ESXI solutions.

Regards George www.supportweblog.com

• Edited by George Fr Sunday, October 9, 2011 9:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Sunday, October 30, 2011 2:26 PM
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 8:56 PM