Custom theme for Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 not working RRS feed

• Question

• I have a bunch of desktops and I'm trying to setup a default background and color scheme that everyone will get when logging in. I created a themepack file and enabled the local group policy load a specific theme. The desktop.themepack file is located under c:\windows. For the path to theme file I tried c:\windows\desktop.themepack, "c:\windows\desktop.themepack", %windir%\desktop.themepack, and "%windir%\desktop.themepack" but none of them work. When a new user logs in they just get a regular blue background. If the user goes to c:\windows and double click on the desktop.themepack file it loads correctly. If I check the event log I see two informational events logged. The Desktop Windows Manager has exited with code (0x40010004) and the Desktop Windows Manager was unable to start because a composited theme is not in use. Even though the symptoms are different I tried KB2462182 but that didn't help. I also looked at KB980628 but that didn't seem to apply to SP1. Anyone have any ideas?
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest you put the themepack to the following location.

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes

If the issue persists, let’s try other method to custom theme for users. For example, login script or Active Desktop Wallpaper.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:06 AM
    Friday, August 23, 2013 2:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you put the themepack to the following location.

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes

If the issue persists, let’s try other method to custom theme for users. For example, login script or Active Desktop Wallpaper.

Niki Han

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:06 AM
    Friday, August 23, 2013 2:51 AM
  • Any update to the current situation?

Niki Han

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:54 AM