Applications layer in windows 7 fails after a duration of time. RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Forum members,

I have been trying to figure out this strange problem with windows 7 professional ever since it has come out and have come up with a blank so I am asking you. Ever since I installed Windows 7 Professional (x64) if I leave my computer on during the day with or without a screensaver when I return and attempt to start up a new application it will fail. It does not matter what app I try to run whether it is taskmanager, my web browser,  the start menu's popup menu for restarting, logout, etc, or even trying to run the logout.exe will all present me with various errors that state that whatever device that allowed apps to run in windows has shutdown. It is almost as if the app layer of windows has gone into standby mode without the rest of my computer and forgot to turn itself back on. I have reproduced this effect countless times over and have yet to determine the cause, my only way, so far, of avoiding this error is to either shut down my computer when I go or use AMD's fusion for gaming app to shutdown all background Windows programs that are not essential. The latter is the solution I wanted to bring to your attention, by running a program that shut down background windows programs this effect will not occur therefore it must be some windows "feature" or whatever that is causing it. Unfortunately, I still do not know which specific program is causing this to occur, please provide me with whatever help you can. Thank you for your time and I look forward to your reply.

System Specs:
    CPU: AMD Phenom 2.3ghz X 4
    Memory: 4gb G.skill DDR2800
    Graphics: ATI HD4890
    Motherboard: MSI k9a2 platinum

P.S. Just to clarify, when I was running windows 7 RC this issue did not occur, only has occurred since I have installed windows 7 professional.
    Monday, March 1, 2010 7:50 PM

Answers

• Can you let us know if you can use your machine normally after resuming from Sleep mode/hibernation?
    Have you tried to update your drivers for your machine?
    Have you tried to test your issue in a new account?

In my opinion, it's better to apply the latest BIOS and drivers from the following link first:

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=driver&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1332

After that, Click Sleep, and resuming your machine after 10 mins, then test if your apps work after resuming your machine.

In addition, you can create a new account to test.

Good luck!

John
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, March 8, 2010 8:11 AM
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:22 AM
  • Hi viper265,

Please access Clean Boot to check the issue. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue persists in this mode, could you let us know how the power option is set for your computer? Please capture a screenshot of the settings by the steps below:

Capture screenshot

============

1.     Go to Start, type power options in to the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

2.     Click Change plan settings next to the settings you choose.

3.     press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

4.     Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

5.     In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

6.     The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

7.     Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click "Desktop" on the left pane and then click "Save".

8.     Please upload the screenshot to your SkyDrive at www.skydrive.live.com and let us know the link.

For detailed steps on how to upload files with SkyDrive, please refer to:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Regards,

Linda

Thursday, March 4, 2010 8:28 AM

All replies

• Can you let us know if you can use your machine normally after resuming from Sleep mode/hibernation?
    Have you tried to update your drivers for your machine?
    Have you tried to test your issue in a new account?

In my opinion, it's better to apply the latest BIOS and drivers from the following link first:

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=driver&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1332

After that, Click Sleep, and resuming your machine after 10 mins, then test if your apps work after resuming your machine.

In addition, you can create a new account to test.

Good luck!

John
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:22 AM
  • Hi viper265,

Please access Clean Boot to check the issue. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue persists in this mode, could you let us know how the power option is set for your computer? Please capture a screenshot of the settings by the steps below:

Capture screenshot

============

1.     Go to Start, type power options in to the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

2.     Click Change plan settings next to the settings you choose.

3.     press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

4.     Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

5.     In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

6.     The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

7.     Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click "Desktop" on the left pane and then click "Save".

8.     Please upload the screenshot to your SkyDrive at www.skydrive.live.com and let us know the link.

For detailed steps on how to upload files with SkyDrive, please refer to:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Regards,

Linda

Thursday, March 4, 2010 8:28 AM