none
VMM 2016 SOFS Cluster can't remove un-manged nodes

Question

• We have a VMM 2016 server deployment with a SOFS cluster with vmm managed file shares.  Currently the nodes controlling the cluster do not have VMM agents installed.  We recently added Server 2016 nodes and have ejected the 2012r2 nodes using Failover Cluster manager.  (We have yet to run the upgrade to cluster version powershell command, planing that for this weekend)

Our current issue, when I look at the properties of the sofs cluster in vmm.  On the Cluster Nodes tab it still lists the now removed 2012r2 nodes as well as all of the 2016 nodes.  When I Use the UI, or use powershell to remove the nodes I get the following error

Uninstall-SCStorageFileServer : One or more of the nodes in the clustered file server are not associated with this VMM server. All the nodes in theclustered file server must be associated with this VMM server in order to perform this operation. (Error ID: 26543)

The UI is attempting to run this command

Uninstall-SCStorageFileServer -StorageFileServer $FileServer -RemoveExistingComputer $NodesToRemove -RunAsynchronously

Looking for any Ideas on how to get these servers not in use any more out of the config.

Please remember to mark my replies as answers if they help

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 9:30 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You can just power off the SOFS nodes, and then remove the SOFS cluster from the VMM console.

If it still doesn't work, you can restart the SCVMM service, and then to see if the SOFS cluster still exists.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 29, 2018 2:10 AM