none
Differences in the Custom Enterprise Fields in our Development and Production environment RRS feed

• Question

• We have a development environment for Project Server 2010 that we stood up.  I created the Custom Enterprise fields in that environment.  Then we set up a new  environment for Project Server 2010 for Production.  I went in and create the Custom Enterprise fields in that environment.  The Custom Enterprise fields are call exactly the same thing.  However, If I take a spreadsheet that was created in production and I bring it into our development server, it does not retain all of the data that was in the custom Enterprise fields and some of the column headings are different.  I'm not sure why this is happening.  The only think I can think is that there are some internal references to those Custom Enterprise fields that it is using (instead of the name) and those fields are actually different between the two environments.  If that is the case, how should I migrate changes to the custom Enterprise fields from development to production or from production to development? Any assistance with this would be great.  Thank you!  Casey
    Monday, September 8, 2014 1:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Casey,

Could you give us more details? What is the big picture? What are you trying to achieve?

What do you mean by "spreadsheet"? Project Server only deals with projects, resources, tasks, assignments, project detail pages...

How did you transfer your "spreadsheet" from dev to prod environment? What are the exact steps? Are you talking about configuration transfer or data transfer between environments?

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Monday, September 8, 2014 2:03 PM
  • I'm sorry that was confusing!  I meant to say when I take the schedule (not spreadsheet) that was created in MS Project Server production into MS Project Server development the fields Enterprise Custom Fields are different. 

We did two separate installs of development and production.  However, they followed the exact same steps to do the install so the configuration should be the same.  After the database were installed and configured, I went in and created the Custom Enterprise fields.  First I created them in development, then in production.  We did not copy them from one to the other.  (If that is the standard practice of migrating from dev to produciton, I don't know how to do that.)  So I have the same named Custom Enterprise fields ( Activity Type, CN1 budget, CN1 CAM, CN1 etc, CN2 budget, CN2 etc, Error Msgs, Giver/Receiver Flag, SOW Test, Sub Contractor Text, and WBS Cust, WBS Std).  I created a schedule in production and I have a default view (std view) that has the following columns.  Unique ID, Error Msgs, Summary, Activity Type, CN1 Budget, WBS Cust, SOW Text, BaselineStart, and Baseline Finish.  This looks great.  When I open that same schedule in development suddenly the default view (std view)  looks different.  I have the fields Unique ID, Sub Contractor Text, Summary, CN1 etc, CN2 etc, Giver/Receiver Flag, WBS Std, Baseline Start, and Baseline Finish.  So the Custom Enterprise fields appear to not be really pointing to the same thing.  I'm not sure why, the only thing I can figure is that is goes by a field ID, and not the field name and maybe the field ID is different because they were created in separate instances at different times?  

That is why I am wondering if there is a way to migrate those changes from the dev environment to the production environment or if we wanted to restore development how could be migrate those chagnes from the production environment to production?

Thanks,   Casey

Monday, September 8, 2014 3:24 PM
  • Hi Casey,

Once your custom fields created in both environments, you also need to create in MS Project Pro views (which contain tables which contain custom and native fields) and add them to the enterprise global with the organizer.

You can also use the playbook which allows you backing up and restoring a configuration from an source environment to a destination environment.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Monday, September 8, 2014 3:33 PM
  • I couldn't do exactly what you suggested because unless I am connected to either the development or production server, I don't have access to the Enterprise fields which I need to be displayed in the View.  What I did was go into development and created a view that displayed all of my Custom Enterprise fields, then I went into production and created the same view.  I went back into development and created a schedule using that view that only had one task and I put data in all of the Custom Enterprise fields.  I saved that schedule with the one task.  Then when I open that schedule up in production and select the view, I see all the columns in the right order, however, as soon as I pull in the schedule that was saved in development, the columns are all out of wack, and none of the data that was in task one is being displayed (just the defaulted data).  I can't figure out why it would do this.  It acts as if the custom enterprise fields that I have created in develpment are different than those created in production and that would be the case if it was going against some key identifier instead of the name.  Does anyone know exactly how that works?

In the meantime, I do have the server guys looking at trying to use playbook in order to do the backup and replace for the migration of the Enterprise settings from development to production.

Thanks,   Casey

Monday, September 8, 2014 9:34 PM
  • Help!!!  I really don't understand what is going on.  We created a new instance of development, then did a backup of production and restored in the development instance.  So you would think that production and development are now the same.  However, we are still experiencing the same issue.  I have a schedule that was created in production.  When I open in production or even on-line just in MS Project it has the Enterprise Global fields that we want for the view selected and everything looks good.  I then try to open that exact same schedule up in development and for that view all the Enterprise Custom Fields are out of wack (it is not pulling in the same enterprise fields for that view).  However, the project fields and even the local custom fields are being displayed the same in production and development, it is just the Custom Enterprise fields.  In the past we had been using the Enterprise Custom Fields that came standard with MS Project Server (we started with Project Server 2003), so we had Enterprise Flag1 with an Alias as Cobra Xfer, Enterprise Text3 with an alias as CN1, ect and we never had the issue going between development and production.  But with the 2010 upgrade we converted and went to using our own named custom Enterprise fields.  So instead of using Enterprise Flag1 we created a Custom Enterprise Field called Cobra Xfer.  We found we had to do this because the old Enterprise fields that we had been using were no longer ediitable so we couldn't update formula's in them.  Anyways it appears that since creating our own Custom Enterprise Fields that there seems to be a difference in the Enterprise fields between production and development EVEN when we do a backup of production and restore it in development.   

Any help or recommendations as to where I can go from here, would be greatly appreciated!!!  I seem to just be spinning my wheels with this one.     Thanks,   Casey

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 1:08 PM
  • What we ended up doing to resolve this issue is we took a back up of production and restored it on the development server.  This worked great until we needed to add in another enterprise custom field.  So they decided that they needed a new Enterprise Custom Field and we added it to development.  Everything worked great and they decided they wanted the field in production, so we added it to the production server.  Now we have the same issue that we had before.  If I have a schedule that was created in production and I populate that field, then if I wanted to test something in development and I open that schedule in development that field is not populated, so it appears out of sync.  Why is this happening?  I really don't know that much about Project Server and am not sure if I am doing something wrong on my end.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Casey

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 7:54 PM
  • Hi Casey,

I think it is better to use the tool Guillaume mentioned when replicating custom fields etc. between environments

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg128952(v=office.14).aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=22810

as this way the custom field Guids will be the same between the environments

Hope this helps

Paul

Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:25 AM