none
Resource management in MS Project RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I'm working on a project where i need to track resource work on a daily bases for a department. There are basically to types of work; Operation work (regular routine work that happens 8-5 Jan thru Dec) and Project work (specific projects that have start and end date). The goal is to use MS Project to show/tract resource availability for the year. Show availability of resource to work on a project.

Area of concern:

-Is how you would split 8 hr of work between operation and project.

-How to change resource allocation (hr) so that MS Project can calculate new completion date. I have tried assigning peak% on resource sheet, that gives me a fix/flat hr rate for the year on resource usage view. i would like to change hr on daily basis.

Thanks

Monday, July 16, 2018 5:36 PM

All replies

• EdmondKJ,

Sorry but it's not quite clear exactly what you want to do. It sounds like your "operations" work is level of effort (i.e. x hours every day all year) and "project" effort is specific tasks (i.e. defined effort over a fixed period). You ask how to split an 8hr day between operation and project work but that's a question you have to answer. Is the operation effort fixed every day or is it variable?

In the second part you ask how to change the resource allocation so Project can calculate new dates. What exactly does that mean?

Without the context of an example, the last two sentences in the second part don't make any sense, at least to those of us who don't have the insight about what you or your company do. Please provide an example, then perhaps we can offer a suggestion.

Bear in mind that you may be asking Project to make some "intelligent" decisions about assigning/managing resources and I'll tell you right now that Project is just a tool, it has zero intelligence.

John

Monday, July 16, 2018 7:05 PM