Can't activate XP after system reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

One of the computers here -- an IBM Netvista -- got taken over by one of those "windows security" viruses, so I went to the IBM repair disks and reinstalled XP Pro. When XP boots it tells me I have to activate before I can log in. However, the automated activation system rejects the activation key that the IBM repair disks produced, saying it's not a valid key. Microsoft wants $259 just for me to email to a tech support rep, which is unbelievable. This is a valid copy of Windows, I have the XP Pro COA sticker on the computer, but now it's dead weight.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

-Peter

Sunday, August 26, 2012 7:41 PM

All replies

• To help us analyze and troubleshoot the issue you are experiencing, please download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool.
    Once you run the tool, click on the
    Continue button, then click on the Copy button and paste the report into your post.

Carey Frisch

Monday, August 27, 2012 1:44 AM
  • Is the key you are using the same as the one on the COA sticker?  If not, use the key-changing tool to access the XP facility for changing product key.  That is part of the Windows software but the third-party tool makes it easy to access.  Once the key has been changed to the correct one you can try the activation again.  If it is still not working follow the process for activate by telephone, a telephone number will be provided.  If it is a genuine copy then Microsoft will be able to generate an activation key and activate your copy by telephone.
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:33 AM