Internet Explorer passwords not syncing on Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• I have two machines with Windows 8.1.

The passwords stored in Internet Explorer will not sync on either of them.

I have checked the Onedrive sync settings and syncing is switched on for everything. Everything syncs except for the passwords.

Password syncing works fine on my Windows 10 machines but it's broken on my Windows 8.1 machines.

Also I have two step verification turned on and all my machines are trusted.

I have already tried clean installs but nothing I can do seems to fix this. It's as though Microsoft has just switched off password syncing in Windows 8.1.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Sunday, March 12, 2017 12:40 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

This feature is not supported in Internet Explorer for the desktop on Windows 8.1. To use this feature, we need to use metro style IE (Internet Explorer in the new Windows UI).

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn265048(v=vs.85).aspx#syncing

What kind of user account you used to logon?

"Your IE pinned sites, favorites, history, passwords, and typed URLs are synced across all Windows 8 machines that you log into using your Microsoft account. With IE11 and Windows 8.1, your open tabs (except for InPrivate browsing tabs) and all of your browser settings are also synced. For more info about syncing features in Windows 8, see Syncing settings between PCs and Syncing across devices . "

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh771832%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 8:01 AM
  • Thanks.

I'm using the same Microsoft account to login on all my devices. Both Windows 10 and Windows 8.1

The passwords just wont sync on Windows 8.1 at all. I'm still convinced there is a problem Microsofts end but I suppose with Windows 10 out now they probably don't care enough to fix it.

As for metro they are not syncing in the metro app either. In fact the metro app seems to use the same password list as the desktop version because if I save a new password in metro it also shows up in the desktop version and the same thing happens if I save a password using the desktop version, it also shows up in the metro app.

I want to use Edge browser on Windows 10 and all I want is for my passwords to sync across devices like it used to.

As Edge isn't available for Windows 8.1 I would expect my passwords to show up in Internet Explorer. But they don't. In fact passwords will not sync between my two Windows 8.1 machines either even though they both use the same Microsoft accounts, are both trusted devices and are both activated.

I don't want to use third party syncing services like lastpass. I just want syncing to work properly on Windows 8.1

I've had to actually switch to Firefox even though I prefer Edge because that is the only way I can get my passwords to sync across all my windows devices.

• Edited by Malacath Wednesday, March 15, 2017 5:48 PM
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 5:37 PM