Not all of the Exchange 2010 Mailbox Servers show up in the Server State View of the Exchange 2010 Management Pack for SCOM 2007 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• We have imported the Exchange 2010 Management Pack into SCOM 2007 r2 and half of our mailbox servers do not show up in the Server State view of the management pack. All of the CAS/HT servers show up and half of the mailbox servers show up. The servers that don't show up in the server state view of the management pack do show up in the all computer state view so the agents are working properly.

Has anyone come across this issue before?

Thanks for your help

Adam

adam.d.smith@yale.edu
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:14 PM

Answers

• Have you run an EXBPA on your Exchange Servers? I found an entry in mine that stated that Exchange 2010 was not fully configured and I needed to rerun setup on the DAG members that were not showing up and that corrected my issue.

Hope that helps.

Adam Smith

adam.d.smith@yale.edu
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:43 PM
  • Digged, digged and found. On Exchange Server Mailbox role I have in registry such entries:

UnpackedVersion = 14.1.218.15

Action = Install

Watermark = AllADRolesCommonServiceControl_........................

It means that Mailbox server has been installed correctly (ie. installation hanged, terminated unexpectedly etc.)

On other roles and mailboxes I have:

ConfiguredVersion = 14.1.218.15 and that is the number discovery script takes as a parameter.

The key is located at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\V14\MailboxRole

R.E.M. - YEAH!
    Friday, July 29, 2011 9:11 AM

All replies

• Sounds like the discovery didnt run succesfully yet on those few exchange servers. Try a reset of agent. STop system center management service (on those exchange boxes), delete the contents of c:\program files\system center operations manager 2007\health service state\*.* , after this start the system center management service again. In the next few minutes it will connect and download all the management packs (including the exchange one) and will start running through discoveries after a few minutes. Check for errors in this on the exchange boxes in the operations manager event log. Especially errors on discovery of exchange of course. With any luck this is enough to make the instances appear in about 15 minutes.
    Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My BICTT Blog)
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:47 AM
  • Any chance they are clustered?
    Microsoft Corporation
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:22 PM
  • I have tried stopping the service and removing the files then starting the service and that didn't work. I removed the agent and removed the files then reinstalled the agent and it still didn't fix the issue.
    adam.d.smith@yale.edu
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:28 PM
  • Yes, these mailbox servers are in a DAG. We have 8 servers in the DAG and only 4 of them show up in the Server State view.
    adam.d.smith@yale.edu
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:29 PM
  • Could you check the agent settings for the proxy setting? So scom console - administration - device management - agent managed. find agent, properties, second tab. Tick the checkbox. Just a quick check to make sure it is set there.
    Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My BICTT Blog)
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 7:19 AM
  • Yes the Agent as Proxy setting is set on all of the servers.
    adam.d.smith@yale.edu
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 10:45 AM
  • I have the same issue and I'm fighting with it for about 2 days now. No luck. Any ideas? All answers from this topic are the same as Adam's.
    R.E.M. - YEAH!
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:50 AM
  • From what I see I also overriden the mailbox discovery to 240 seconds, put it in my Exchange Overrides MP and nothing happens. This is a mailbox DAG.
    R.E.M. - YEAH!
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 11:55 AM
  • I enabled VerboseLogging in this script and now I can see what's the problem, but don't know why:

MicrosoftExchangeServerRoleDiscovery.js : Cannot discover 'Mailbox'. One or more key arguments contain invalid values:

computerPrincipalName: 06SEXM1.xxx.xxx

computerNetbiosName: 06SEXM1

computerActiveDirectorySite: 06xxx

computerDnsName: 06SEXM1.xxx.xxx

installPath: C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\

version:

Exiting the discovery.

On other servers when I checked, version is populated correctly as "14.1.218.15". From where does this script takes the Version parameter? If so, why it affects all Exchange Servers (CAS/HUBs) in one site for discovering Mailbox and not affects other discovery scripts??

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:38 PM
  • If they are in a cluster, only the active nodes will show up at any given time.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 4:54 PM
  • I have both of them not discovered. One has to be active. I have a project where 15 branch offices has the same configuration - 2 DAG's, 2 CAS/HUBs - every office has everything OK, so I guess there has to be something in configuration. I have done few tests:

VerboseLogging TRUE

Interval 300

Ran MailboxRole.Discovery rule on site 1 DAG's - no Version parameter passed

Ran MailboxRole.Discovery rule on site 2 DAG's - Version correct

Ran MailboxRole.Discovery rule on site 1 CAS/HUB's - no Version parameter passed

So there might be some network/system/hardware failure

R.E.M. - YEAH!
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:36 PM
  • Have you run an EXBPA on your Exchange Servers? I found an entry in mine that stated that Exchange 2010 was not fully configured and I needed to rerun setup on the DAG members that were not showing up and that corrected my issue.

Hope that helps.

Adam Smith

adam.d.smith@yale.edu
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:43 PM
  • Good idea. Will check that today.
    R.E.M. - YEAH!
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:54 AM
  • No luck - everything is green. Can anyone has the possibility to tell me, where from the MP discovery script gets Version parameter from? It won't matter if this is a cluster. On both nodes the version number will be the same. I've checked on other clustered systems - the Exchange roles are discovered immediately on both of them, so MP is not that cluster-aware. I see that in the event log it's correctly guessing that this is a cluster, but later only the version parameter is missing. I can even put it somewhere in the OS hardcoded, but just need to discover that Poltergeist :)
    R.E.M. - YEAH!
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:17 AM
  • Digged, digged and found. On Exchange Server Mailbox role I have in registry such entries:

Action = Install

Watermark = AllADRolesCommonServiceControl_........................

It means that Mailbox server has been installed correctly (ie. installation hanged, terminated unexpectedly etc.)

On other roles and mailboxes I have:

ConfiguredVersion = 14.1.218.15 and that is the number discovery script takes as a parameter.

The key is located at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\V14\MailboxRole

R.E.M. - YEAH!
    Friday, July 29, 2011 9:11 AM
  • Thread has been quiet for some time. Will close the thread and mark as answered. Feel free to re-open if needed. Thanks
    Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My BICTT Blog) - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Recipient
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:49 PM
  • I have similar issues and  all above steps have been tried  multiple times wth restart of exchange servers  didnt fix issue . I m running SCOM2007R2CU4 and EX2010SP1RU3.   Servers are identiified as Exchange 2010 but roles are not showing and  alerts are generated with roles .
    Friday, December 9, 2011 9:55 AM