Forefront Client Security Deployment Tool RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

After a lot of work, I am very pleased to finally announce the release of "Forefront Client Security Deployment Tool". FCS Deployment Tool is a free toolkit provides additional deployment capabilities in addition to those which are available with the RTM Version of FCS . This tool gives network and security administrators the ability to scan their network and/or AD, discover existing installed Anti-Virus solutions (currently supporting Mcafee, Symantec and Trend-Micro) that are already installed on their clients, uninstall existing AV solution and install FCS Client – all in one.

clip_image002

Nothing much to add, just that the Downloads of the Complete Toolkit and the User Guide are available at Codeplex via of the following link:

http://www.codeplex.com/fcscompete/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=14440

Always appreciate any feedback.

Was this post helpful? click Yes above.
    Monday, June 16, 2008 10:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yeah, its a cool tool & useful as well. i'v tried it & its working perfectly. the only issue is that am having trouble with client firewalls. I tried opening 1270 port in GPO but still not able to deploy to some clients, it complains of firewall. any help, pls?

Thx
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:50 AM
  • I tried using this but failed at rolling out the clients on windows 7 computers. also none of the computers that gets installed this way show up on Forefront management console. 

Thursday, November 19, 2009 12:02 PM
  • Hello Yaniv,
    I've been using your Deployment Tool since we started to test FCS in our environment but now is not working...or working only for some computers.

The logfile for the failed computer is this:

ip: 10.120.1.234
    [27/01/2010 17:01:24]  Recconecting
    [27/01/2010 17:01:24]  Executing Forefront Installations
    [27/01/2010 17:01:27] executing proccess: 1992
    [27/01/2010 17:01:59] Failed to install Forefront cilent
    StackTrace:    at Microsoft.FCS.deployment.Wmi.install(Object obj) in C:\projects\Microsoft.FCS.Deployment\Microsoft.FCS.Deployment\classes\Wmi.cs:line 547

Could not find file '\\client5047998\C$\46d8b6d3-5753-410e-b04c-c84ca4b7b560\forefront\clientsetup.log'.
    StackTrace:    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)

at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path, Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize)

at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path, Encoding encoding)

at System.IO.File.ReadAllText(String path, Encoding encoding)

at Microsoft.FCS.deployment.Wmi.install(Object obj) in C:\projects\Microsoft.FCS.Deployment\Microsoft.FCS.Deployment\classes\Wmi.cs:line 532

Can you tell me what can be the issue?

Maybe it helps but this computer has a bandwidth between 128-256 with our HQ. Could a timeout be the issue in this case?

Thank you in advance!

Victor
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:22 PM
  • Hi,

it seems that you have some kind of write  i/o error.
    it could be because of permissions, but bandwidth could be the issue. the tool is not meant to work over slow connections so I would recommend copying the installations to the remote locaitons and run the tool on a computer on the remote site.

feel free to ask any more questions if you have any.

Yaniv.
    Microsoft Forefront MVP
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:29 PM
  • the tool uses RPC to install the clients. if you want it to work you need to cancel the firewall for the installation process.

Yaniv.

Microsoft Forefront MVP
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:31 PM
  • the tool wasn't tested on Windows 7, but since it worked fine on Vista it should have any problems.
    did you check Firewalls? maybe UAC?

Microsoft Forefront MVP
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:31 PM
  • have same problem, as 01004753 , but at 100Mb/s wire.

[02/02/2010 15:22:41]  Recconecting
    [02/02/2010 15:22:41]  Executing Forefront Installations
    [02/02/2010 15:22:41] executing proccess: 2024
    [02/02/2010 15:23:11] Failed to install Forefront cilent
    StackTrace:    at Microsoft.FCS.deployment.Wmi.install(Object obj) in C:\projects\Microsoft.FCS.Deployment\Microsoft.FCS.Deployment\classes\Wmi.cs:line 547

Could not find file '\\MSK-CBTC-WS205\C$\1a934790-8f36-4762-bde4-b2b6a5e8244a\forefront\clientsetup.log'.
    StackTrace:    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)

at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path, Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize)

at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path, Encoding encoding)

at System.IO.File.ReadAllText(String path, Encoding encoding)

at Microsoft.FCS.deployment.Wmi.install(Object obj) in C:\projects\Microsoft.FCS.Deployment\Microsoft.FCS.Deployment\classes\Wmi.cs:line 532

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 12:41 PM
  • Hi Mate,

This usually means that you have some kind of permissions problem.
    it looks like the installation doesn't have the proper permissions to run the installation on the client computer.
    check for firewall, network connections, domain and local administrator permissions.

Yaniv.

Microsoft Forefront MVP
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:02 PM
  • Hello.  I have the same problem as Cust and 01004753.  Stack trace below...
    The client is Windows XP SP3, firewall disabled.  Local LAN. Client logfiles below.
    The install folder appears to be created and ready to hand off.
    Can you tell me the mechanism for that handoff?  Do you think the _install.bat has started? What can I do to determine where this is failing?

Thanks!

Client log.txt:
    ------------------------------
    started 
    parameters: C:\eb2d8457-8f7f-4168-ac35-2e197c08d2f5\forefront mc-fcs\CLIENT MC-FCS ForefrontClientSecurity
    executing FCS.RunScheduler.exe C:\eb2d8457-8f7f-4168-ac35-2e197c08d2f5\forefront mc-fcs\CLIENT MC-FCS ForefrontClientSecurity <admin> <pwd>
    ERROR=8 

LogScheduler.txt
    Exception=System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Fcs.RunScheduler.RunScheduler.Main(String[] args)

STACK TRACE from Deployment Program:
    17/02/2010 08:03:46] Failed to install Forefront cilent
    StackTrace:    at Microsoft.FCS.deployment.Wmi.install(Object obj) in C:\projects\Microsoft.FCS.Deployment\Microsoft.FCS.Deployment\classes\Wmi.cs:line 547

Could not find file '\\AS36\C$\eb2d8457-8f7f-4168-ac35-2e197c08d2f5\forefront\clientsetup.log'.
    StackTrace:    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:16 PM
  • by this log files, it seems that you do not have administrative access to admin$ and C$ share on the client computers.

Microsoft Forefront MVP
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 5:53 PM
  • Hello Yaniv,

Please take in consideration that in my case (please see above post) i saw that after the automatic copy of the scripts on the respective computer, i find in a script the username and the password i configured the application to install FCS.

It will be a nice thing to solve this security issue if possible:)

Regards,

Victor

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 9:32 AM
  • I used your Deployment Tool to install the FCS to clients, but it faild all the time. here is the error message:

Error, Failed to install Forefront cilent, ip: 172.31.4.213
    [13/01/2011 11:42:25] Failed to install Forefront cilent
    The network name cannot be found.

at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames(String path, String userPathOriginal, String searchPattern, Boolean includeFiles, Boolean includeDirs, SearchOption searchOption)
       at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.GetFiles(String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)
       at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.GetFiles()
       at Microsoft.FCS.deployment.Wmi.install(Object obj) in C:\projects\Microsoft.FCS.Deployment\Microsoft.FCS.Deployment\classes\Wmi.cs:line 498

can you please help in this.

Husam
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:00 AM