none
Generating comparison of the % complete against what we should be complete at this point? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using MS Project Professional 2013. 

How do I generate a comparison of the % complete against what we should be complete at this point? This is in relation with the project overview report which has the % complete, but it doesn't have 'what should be complete at this point'?

Thanks.

• Edited by Avinash.Rao Sunday, February 9, 2014 11:22 PM
    Sunday, February 9, 2014 11:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I tried adding different fields to the box that contains '% complete' value in project overview report. When fields are selected, the box expands but doesn't display the value until the box is filled with color!

Anyways, % Work complete has the same value as '%complete'. What is different between these two fields? 

Is there a way I can calculate 'actual work accomplished' in percentage? 

Thanks

• Edited by Avinash.Rao Monday, February 10, 2014 12:26 AM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 12:25 AM
  • Hello,

You could create a custom task field of the number type to compute the value.  You would need to use a formula something like:

IIf([Work]=0,0,([Actual Work]/[Work])*100)

but this would give you the same result.   The "% Work" field is field that already contains this value.  It is the "% Work Complete"  base on the "Actual Work" as a percentage of the "Planned Work" store in the "Work" field.

The "% Complete" field is actually the "% Duration Complete" which is based on duration of the task only regardless of if any work has been performed or not. It can be different than "% Work Complete".   For instance if you enter "Actual Work" that is greater but the Planned "Work" using a "Time Phased" view (or several other ways) you could see the "% Work" and the "% Comp" fields be different.

With out knowing the process you are using to update you schedule you might never see the a difference between the 2 fields.

Fletcher

Monday, February 10, 2014 2:48 AM
  • Hello,

You could create a custom task field of the number type to compute the value.  You would need to use a formula something like:

IIf([Work]=0,0,([Actual Work]/[Work])*100)

but this would give you the same result.   The "% Work" field is field that already contains this value.  It is the "% Work Complete"  base on the "Actual Work" as a percentage of the "Planned Work" store in the "Work" field.

The "% Complete" field is actually the "% Duration Complete" which is based on duration of the task only regardless of if any work has been performed or not. It can be different than "% Work Complete".   For instance if you enter "Actual Work" that is greater but the Planned "Work" using a "Time Phased" view (or several other ways) you could see the "% Work" and the "% Comp" fields be different.

With out knowing the process you are using to update you schedule you might never see the a difference between the 2 fields.

Fletcher

Hi,

Yes, the Schedule Variance is 0 as all the previous tasks were completed on time. So if I have understood this correctly, %Complete = % Duration Complete which is based on the planned schedule irrespective of whether tasks are completed or not.

% Work complete is the actual work.. 

%Work complete and %Complete will be same if there is no schedule slippage or variance.

The terminology is confusion for those who are not used to reading these reports, is there a way rename the Fields? 

I calculated 'work' by using your formula and the result was the same if rounded off to the nearest decimal.

• Edited by Avinash.Rao Monday, February 10, 2014 3:15 AM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 3:14 AM
  • Hi,

Yes the terminology can be a bit confusing if you are new to Project.

You can rename the title used for the field on the view.  Right click on the column header you would like to rename (example "% Work") and then select the "Field Setting" entry from the pop-up menu.  In there you will see the name of the field (example "% Work Complete") as the "Title" being used on the view (Example: "% Work").  Simple change the "Title" field to reflex what you want seen on the view and then click the "OK" button.

Just to be clear "% Complete" is based on duration only so if a task has a duration of 10 days and we are 5 days into it the "% Complete" would be 50% regardless of how much work has been done on the task.  

Now depending on other options within MS Project and the process you are using to update you project it may or may not be effected by the actual hours worked.

I hope I have not made this more confusing, if so please keep asking more questions.

Fletcher

Monday, February 10, 2014 4:03 AM
  • To confirm what you said, I did mark few tasks late to check if the value changed but it didn't.

Here's my configuration: 1) I have a schedule which is baselined and the first status date was set to 7 Feb to generate a report. This was done last week.

2) Today: I changed the status date to 10 Feb, marked few tasks late as in 0%, 25% complete though they were actually completed. 

3) These tasks appeared in the list of late tasks and milestones due.

4) But, the value of % work complete and %complete is still the same! If what you are saying is right, shouldn't the %Work complete be less than the %complete because there are many tasks that are late?? 

Thanks for your time.

Monday, February 10, 2014 4:16 AM
  • Hi,

Without knowing a bit more about how you are updating you project it is hard to exactly know what is happing.

Are you enter Actual Work and Remaining Work for each Task or Assignment?  Or using some other method?

If you look at the File-->Options-->Schedule page is the "Updating Task status updates resource status" box checked?

Fletcher

Monday, February 10, 2014 4:54 AM
  • Hi,

Without knowing a bit more about how you are updating you project it is hard to exactly know what is happing.

Are you enter Actual Work and Remaining Work for each Task or Assignment?  Or using some other method?

If you look at the File-->Options-->Schedule page is the "Updating Task status updates resource status" box checked?

Fletcher

Hi Fletcher,

I am using 'percentage complete' to update tasks/activities. I am not using Actual or Remaining work to update tasks. 

Yes, the "Updating task status updates resource status" option is checked in options.

• Edited by Avinash.Rao Monday, February 10, 2014 5:16 AM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 5:08 AM
  • Thanks for that.. I am able to rename the fields. I am clear about the %complete definition.

• Edited by Avinash.Rao Monday, February 10, 2014 5:14 AM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 5:13 AM
  • Hi,

With this option checked when you enter a "% Complete" number MS Project "assumes" that the same amount of work "% Work" has also been completed.

If you do not want MS Project to make this assumption simply un-check the option box and then you will need to enter the "% Complete" and "% Work" separately.  This allows you to show that while the task is 50% (% Complete)done in duration only 25% (% Work) of the work has been accomplished.

Hope this is starting to make some sense.

Regards,

Fletcher

Monday, February 10, 2014 5:52 AM
  • Hi,

With this option checked when you enter a "% Complete" number MS Project "assumes" that the same amount of work "% Work" has also been completed.

If you do not want MS Project to make this assumption simply un-check the option box and then you will need to enter the "% Complete" and "% Work" separately.  This allows you to show that while the task is 50% (% Complete)done in duration only 25% (% Work) of the work has been accomplished.

Hope this is starting to make some sense.

Regards,

Fletcher

Hi Fletcher,

It is clear now.. 

Is there a % Actual Complete?? :) that I can display next to %Complete? 

Cheers,

Monday, February 10, 2014 7:43 AM
  • What do you mean by % actual complete? % complete and % Work complete both show percentage complete, by duration or Work.

Your original post reads like you want earned value calcs. Try looking at the earned value calculations to see if they meet your needs. If you don't have costs assigned to resources, set the rate for each resource to $1/hour. that way you get earned work. You will need to re-baseline after setting the rates.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Monday, February 10, 2014 8:24 AM
  • What do you mean by % actual complete? % complete and % Work complete both show percentage complete, by duration or Work.

Your original post reads like you want earned value calcs. Try looking at the earned value calculations to see if they meet your needs. If you don't have costs assigned to resources, set the rate for each resource to $1/hour. that way you get earned work. You will need to re-baseline after setting the rates.

Rod Gill

Hi Rod,

I am trying to compare actuals v/s planned based on duration.

Monday, February 10, 2014 9:23 AM
  • Hello Avinash,

I answered a very similar question on another forum the other day. The code below will calculate what the "% Work Complete" value should be at the status date, according to the baseline, and put this value in the text11 field. The user on the other forum hadn't put rates against his schedule, so he couldn't use the native EV functionality (although, like Rod says, you could also just put £1 rate against each resource).

I hope this helps,

Andrew

Option Explicit

Sub CalcBaselinePerctComplete()

Dim pj As Project
    Dim t As Task
    Dim TSV As TimeScaleValue
    Dim TSVs As TimeScaleValues

Dim HrsValue As Double
    Dim PerctValue As Integer

Set pj = ActiveProject
    For Each t In pj.Tasks
        Select Case pj.StatusDate
            Case Is > t.BaselineFinish
                'If the baseline end date is in the past, then the PerctValue must be 100%
                'so no need to loop through the time scaled PerctValues
                PerctValue = 100
            Case Is < t.BaselineStart
                'If the baseline start date is in the future, then the PerctValue must be 0%
                'so no need to loop through the time scaled PerctValues
                PerctValue = 0
            Case Else
                If t.BaselineWork = 0 Then
                    'if there is no baseline work, then the PerctValue must be 1005
                    'otherwise we've be dividing by zero
                    PerctValue = 100
                Else
                    Set TSVs = t.TimeScaleData(t.Start, pj.StatusDate, pjTaskTimescaledBaselineWork, pjTimescaleDays)
                    HrsValue = 0
                    For Each TSV In TSVs
                        If TSV.Value <> "" Then
                            HrsValue = HrsValue + TSV.Value
                        End If
                    Next TSV
                    PerctValue = HrsValue / t.BaselineWork * 100
                End If
        End Select

SetValue:
    t.Text11 = PerctValue & "%"

Next t

End Sub

Andrew Simpson
    Founder – Eversight Ltd

E: info@eversight.co.uk
    W: www.eversight.co.uk

Download Eversight for MS Project — a free add-on which helps users build high quality schedules with MS project.

Monday, February 10, 2014 9:30 AM
  • I think we cross posted with my answer below - if you're only interested in duration instead of work, then putting the following formula in a text field will calculate how far through the duration of a task you should be according to the baseline. It's a bit of a monster, but appears to work ok:

IIf([Baseline Duration]>0,Switch(datediff("h",[Baseline Start],[Status Date])<0,"0%",datediff("h",[Status Date],[Baseline Finish])<0,"100%",1=1,cint(datediff("h",[Baseline Start],[Status Date])/DateDiff("h",[Baseline Start],[Baseline Finish])*100) & "%"),IIf(datediff("h",[Baseline Start],[Status Date])<0,"0%","100%"))

Andrew Simpson
    Founder – Eversight Ltd

E: info@eversight.co.uk
    W: www.eversight.co.uk

Download Eversight for MS Project — a free add-on which helps users build high quality schedules with MS project.

Monday, February 10, 2014 10:10 AM
  • Hello all,

Thanks to all for your inputs.

Here's what I am looking for.  

Planned v/s actual schedule for the project. I am aware that I can use schedule variance. But, is there a way to report the dates? status of the project against the baseline? Ex: If the report is generated today, (1) as on today, the project is at 'dates' (actuals): But the project should have been at 'dates' (baseline). I don't want this for individual tasks/activities, May be for a phase or summary of tasks. 

Monday, February 10, 2014 10:38 PM
  • Actuals vs planned based on duration is the duration variance field?

If you want to know if your % duration complete is on or above what it should be, then you are into earned value metrics. Earned value only considers costs, but work can also be calculated if rates are $1/h.

If you have a task with duration of 2d and your task is delayed, then planned progress (if status date is halfway thru the task) is 50% but actual progress is 0%. The comparison is likely to be not very useful.

Try comparing Baseline variance and task start and finish variance. This is simplest. Next level of detail down is much more complicated!

Rod Gill

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:23 AM
  • Actuals vs planned based on duration is the duration variance field?

If you want to know if your % duration complete is on or above what it should be, then you are into earned value metrics. Earned value only considers costs, but work can also be calculated if rates are $1/h.

If you have a task with duration of 2d and your task is delayed, then planned progress (if status date is halfway thru the task) is 50% but actual progress is 0%. The comparison is likely to be not very useful.

Try comparing Baseline variance and task start and finish variance. This is simplest. Next level of detail down is much more complicated!

Rod Gill

I put $1 for each resource, created a baseline to generate a report on Schedule Variance, it showed a negative variance. But my project is on schedule and the tasks have been marked accurately. Does this indicate an error in Resource Assignments? 

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:56 AM
  • If you start to use the EVM metrics you will need to make sure you have the task setup correctly.   What type of task are these Fixed Unit,  Fixed Work, Fixed Duration?    Are you using "% Complete" or "Physical % Complete"?.

Also,  since you used $1 for all you resources I would use the "SV %" field to indicate the task status as the $$ really are not accurate.

Fletcher

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:57 AM
  • If you start to use the EVM metrics you will need to make sure you have the task setup correctly.   What type of task are these Fixed Unit,  Fixed Work, Fixed Duration?    Are you using "% Complete" or "Physical % Complete"?.

Also,  since you used $1 for all you resources I would use the "SV %" field to indicate the task status as the $$ really are not accurate.

Fletcher

By Default all tasks were created as Fixed Units, But I do have few 'Fixed Duration' tasks in the WBS and I am using %Complete. It is SV% that is showing negative value.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:11 PM
  • Hi Guys,

I am working on a different schedule (similar) to the one I have explained in my earlier threads above but am not happy with how MS Project is behaving. Please correct me if I am doing something wrong or if I am missing anything.

1) By Default all tasks were created as Fixed Units, But I do have few 'Fixed Duration' tasks in the WBS and I am using %Complete not Physical % Complete under options.

2)The schedule was baselined without the standard rate for each resource.

3) Unchecked the field "Updating task status updates resource status" under options.

4) I put $1 for each resource, created another baseline and set this baseline to be used for EV under options.

5) This schedule has two tasks which are late. One task with a duration of 3 weeks should have ended almost a month ago, task marked 75% complete and task 2 with a duration of 7 weeks ending in 2 days, task marked 75% complete.

These two tasks were listing under the list of late tasks when I generated the project review report and also when I used the filter 'Late tasks' in Gant Chart view. But this disappeared after I put $1 for each resource and created another baseline (step 4).

The late tasks is not listed even if the old (first) baseline was selected for EV calculation.

Any help is appreciated.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 1:40 AM
  • I think it's time you called in some help. You certainly need some training and a little( well a good 2 days at least) training pays well with Project!

Please also keep one post for one problem. You seem to be changing what you're asking and doing.

Project can easily do what you need, but your solution will be from people, processes and tools. So learn the tool (training) and work with your project tracking and reporting processes.

Rod Gill

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:11 AM