none
IE11 Unable to Drag and Drop websites to my Favorites bar, unable to rearrange existing shortcuts. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

under Win10 x64 & IE11 fully patched & updated, since some time I am unable to drag&drop websites to the "Favorites" bar in IE like before. I am now also unable to rearrange existing shortcuts at the bar by drag&drop.

What I already checked:

• did reset all IE setting incl. personal settings - no effect
    • Started IE without addons - no effect
    • Tried with another user profile, no effect
    • removed almost all items from autostart (using MSConfig), no effect
    • checked folder permissions on my "Favorites" folder, they are fine

But:

• Booting Win10 in safe mode, drag&drop works, rearrange works
    • Adding a website using a button "Add to a favorites bar" works
    • after opening "favorites" on the left side of IE and navigating to "Favorites Bar" folder, I was ABLE to rearrange shortcuts there, and the changes were instantly reflected on my "Favorites" bar.

Any suggestions?

I have found this thread with exactly same sympthoms, but unfortunately the "solution" provided there (and somehow marked as answer (???!!!))  is not a solution.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/e09191bc-d167-4d1e-b4c7-620599635991/ie-11-unable-to-drag-and-drop-to-unlocked-favorites-bar?forum=ieitprocurrentver

Any suggestions?

Thursday, November 10, 2016 1:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, I suppose that there is something wrong with your IE11.

Please try to repair or reinstall IE and check if it helps.

How to repair or reinstall Internet Explorer in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/318378

In addition, I also found several users who had the similar issue as yours, they gave the advices may help you, please refer to the link:

Unable to arrange Favorites Bar in order I prefer

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-iewindows8_1/unable-to-arrange-favorites-bar-in-order-i-prefer/ff5954a0-722d-44f6-b01e-11cb2b75f47b

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 11, 2016 9:30 AM
  • Hi Tao

There is no way to reinstall IE under Win10, you can just disable and then re-enable it. I tried it, no effect.

I am able to rearrange favorites on the bar using "organize favorites". But it is just a workaround and not a solution.

Solution what I am looking for is how to re-enable drag & drop feature.

Friday, November 11, 2016 6:01 PM
  • Hi Mike,

open the 'Favorites Bar' folder in windows explorer....

type

shell:favorites\links

in either the IE or Windows Explorer address bar.....

sort the list by name or date and see if any 'favorite' files (.url) that you have previously 'dropped' there are actually there....(or use the file explorers' search box)

sometimes when a favorite is dropped on the Favorites bar, it is not positioned at the drop position on the IE Favorites bar, but rather at the bottom of the bars' chevron (>>) dropdown list.

when dragging from the favorites center you should see the drag/drop cursor change from NoDrop to the Drop cursor with a title of 'Move to Favorites Bar'

In the File Explorer window positioned at the 'Favorites Bar' folder, right click on the root folder,

[user]/Favorites/Favorites Bar and select the 'Properties' context menu and make sure you have full permissions to the folder...uncheck the 'Read-only' and 'Hidden' checkboxes and click the 'Apply' button...

...mmm thats interesting... testing on my Anniversary update, MY favorites bar folder is marked as Read Only (but I can still drag and drop to the folder)...

If you update your Favorites/Favorites Bar folders from a thumb/external-drive they are marked as read-only by default... (this prevents exe's autorun from thumbdrives)

Please give it a go...

Regards.

Rob^_^

Saturday, November 12, 2016 5:46 AM
  • Booting Win10 in safe mode, drag&drop works, rearrange works

which is exactly the point made in the answer that you cited.  So now you need to do some clean-boot troubleshooting to identify what you have in startup that is causing this symptom.  Running ProcMon may help supplement your symptom description (e.g. to identify a specific permissions issue) but unfortunately that cannot be done in safe mode which will make your diagnosis harder.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, November 12, 2016 2:53 PM
    Answerer