none
GPO "Deployed Printer Connections" Component Failed

Question

• Hi,

We are running a VDI environment with over 1000 Windows 7 desktops provisioned on top of a "thin" Windows 7 base image and we are attempting to deploy printers to the think Windows 7 base image, that will then get pulled through to the VDI session, to allow users to be able to print. This works for the majority however we have some users that report their printer is not available, and upon investigation it looks like the printer is not installed on the underlying base machines.

I've been running some troubleshooting and when I process group policy modeling with a user and the PC object in AD, the results fail with deploying the "Deployed Printer Connections"

This is a screenshot of the error that gets displayed running the modeling on the domain controller. Typically, I have checked the logs on the domain controller and there is not any additional information on what this might be, logged at all. Could anyone provide more information on what this actually means that's failed? Because it doesn't look like the actual GPO objects have failed to process at all. I don't understand this.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 11:23 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

The error means that there are some errors occurs when applying the policy.

You could find those related errors in application log in Event Viewer on domain controller between 28/04/2016 11:27:08 and 28/04/2016 11:27:09.

And I suggest you post them to us for further research.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 29, 2016 8:04 AM
  • Hi Jay,

I've checked the event log on the local DC but I cant see the logs anywhere, either I am looking in the wrong place or there are none?

Windows Logs > Application.

This location just has normal logs you would expect, but nothing for that time perioid, the next and provious logs are hours apart from the time specified.

Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows GroupPolicy

This just appears to be a log that the group policy service is running on the server.

Where should the logs be? How can I "turn them on" ? Other items are being written to the event viewer.

Friday, April 29, 2016 8:26 AM
  • Hi Strata,

Based on my experience, if you want to assign printer for client on terminal server, you should configure Printer Redirection under the path Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Terminal Services\Terminal Server\Printer Redirection.

For more information about Printer Redirection, you could refer to the article below.

Printer Redirection

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731963(v=ws.10).aspx

Here is a blog may be helpful to you.

Terminal Server and Printer Redirection

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askperf/2007/08/24/terminal-server-and-printer-redirection/

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 04, 2016 9:24 AM