none
QNAP Nas and SCDPM SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We currenlty have System Center Data Protection Manager Service Pack 1 installed on Windows Server 2012. We have a few file shares on a QNAP Nas box i would like to backup, anyone know how i can do this???

Thanks

Lee

Friday, January 25, 2013 10:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM can only protect data on systems that support installing a DPM agent on.  Basically Windows 2003 or later servers, and Windows XP and later Client OS.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 25, 2013 6:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM can only protect data on systems that support installing a DPM agent on.  Basically Windows 2003 or later servers, and Windows XP and later Client OS.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 25, 2013 6:14 PM
  • Hi Lee,

Mike is correct. With knowing that you may have another option here. If your QNAP has iSCSI (I know a lot of the QNAPS come with this feature) you could actually present the QNAP to a Windows server as local storage. You could still share the NAS storage out through Windows on your network. You could then install a DPM agent on that Windows server and protect the QNAP storage. This option would allow you to use the QNAP storage and protect it with DPM.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterportal.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Friday, April 12, 2013 3:15 AM