Windows 7 UI aero snap features RRS feed

• Question

• I Have just installed windows 7 and the promptly installed photoshop cs4 and flash cs4. When I drag them to the sides of the screen to "compare" windows flash and photoshop do not snap into half the screen. This might be something very minor to "normal" users but for me it is quite major. I allways want to be able to compare ps to web browsers or flash to ps and when they don't snap its a little annoying. If you guys know of any setting to allow windows to snap these programs to half the screen that would be great! Thanks

-Sanford
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 5:29 PM

Answers

• Dragging doesn’t work, you have to sort of ‘throw’ the window to the side. There are other commands but here are a few to go on with:

Win+Up Maximize vertically
    Win+Down Restore/Minimize
    Win+Left Dock to left
    Win+Right Dock to right
    Win+Shift+Left Jump to left monitor
    Win+Shift+Right Jump to right monitor
    Win+Home Minimize Restore all other windows

(Win = the Windows key)

Saturday, August 8, 2009 6:29 PM

All replies

• Dragging doesn’t work, you have to sort of ‘throw’ the window to the side. There are other commands but here are a few to go on with:

Win+Up Maximize vertically
    Win+Down Restore/Minimize
    Win+Left Dock to left
    Win+Right Dock to right
    Win+Shift+Left Jump to left monitor
    Win+Shift+Right Jump to right monitor
    Win+Home Minimize Restore all other windows

(Win = the Windows key)

Saturday, August 8, 2009 6:29 PM
  • Hey, I opened up ps and sure enough those commands worked, but it still wont work when I "throw" the window to the side or top of my screen. Any help? I would like to be able to do this with the mouse. Thanks,

-Sanford
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 8:18 PM
  • When I say ‘throw’, it’s a sort of quick drag and release the mouse button. It does work but takes a bit of practice.

Also, to Minimize or Maximize all windows except the ‘current’ one, simply grab it at the top (depress and hold down left mouse button), shake it from side to side and the other windows will Minimize. Shake it again to Maximize them.
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 7:35 AM
  • Ok I understand what you mean by "throw" the window because I can get it to work with all of my windows except for adobe cs4 products : < any ideas on how to make it work with these?
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 6:16 PM
  • #1. adobe didn't program their app to work with aerosnap. 
    #2 don't throw the window just drag the window untill the pointer touches the edge of the screen producing an outline and release.
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 6:24 PM
  • the problem is most likely #1

the adobe product has its own skin that is non relevant to that of windows 7 therefore they most likely have not made a windows7 version yet :<
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 6:26 PM
  • The msdn library has the developer code and functions for all of the new features like aerosnap new taskbar etc..

• Edited by ONE ZERO Sunday, August 9, 2009 6:31 PM
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 6:29 PM
  • ok so does that mean that the programs should be working with the aero snap feature?
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 6:30 PM
  • Some programs may not be fully compatible with it. My hewlett packard scanning wizard only has full screen snap when the curser touches the top but not left or right.
    • Edited by ONE ZERO Sunday, August 9, 2009 6:35 PM
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 6:33 PM
  • allright well thanks for the help ill just have to wait until adobe comes out with a fix. In the mean time I will just have to brood over how awesome windows 7 is. :)
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 6:34 PM
  • Hello everyone,

I've noticed that the Snap feature does not work for me, when I attempt to  move the screen to the side it comes right back to the original location
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 4:04 PM
  • ok so does that mean that the programs should be working with the aero snap feature?

Programs that impliment custom frames (Photoshop CS4, Zune) might not work with Snap without some modifications. All other applications, unless they are constrained to work in a limited resolution or have min/max boundaries, should work A-OK.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:35 PM
  • I was running into the same problem, it would work when maximizing the screen by moving it to the top of the screen, but would not work when moving it to the side. Then I noticed that the mouse pointer has to actually touch the edge of the screen to make it work. No "throwing" or other tricks involved.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 5:55 PM
  • hi
    if you want the aero snap feature to work you need to drag the window to the side making sure the pointer of the mouse hit the sides , try to grab and drag the menu from the side that is close to where you want to snap it like 1 or 2 inches not from the middle , the point is unless the ponter of the mouse hit the sides of the desktop it will be no snap even if you drag the window far away. so i hope that'll wrap up this subject
    • Proposed as answer by sino1969 Sunday, January 24, 2010 4:27 AM
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 4:26 AM
  • Your mouse pointer has to touch the side of the screen while you're dragging.  They wanted it that way so that you didn't accidentally trigger it by mistake all the time when you were just trying to move things around a little bit.

Just hold down your mouse button, and keep dragging to the edge until the pointer touches... you'll see it trigger, you can't miss it.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Monday, January 25, 2010 2:43 AM
  • These shortcuts have stopped working for me with all program (the MS Office 2007 Suite, Chrome, Firefox, IE8).  How do I resolve this?
    Monday, February 15, 2010 3:10 PM
  • Thank you.

Keyboard commands are the best!

Friday, September 17, 2010 8:15 PM
  • Thank you.

#2 was the answer.  I couldn't figure out why the bleepin' thing wouldn't work.

Friday, September 17, 2010 8:16 PM
  • I HAVE A SOLUTION that worked for me:- I had exactly the same problem in my Win 7 (64 bit)... Aero snap features were working fine and then (probably as a result of me updating my Graphics drivers?) one day they stopped.

I found the solution by reading these sorts of entries (that did not work, despite trying) then I searched around in the Control Panel. One search (for "snap" took me to the

• Control Panel / 'Ease of Access Center' /  'Turn off automatic window arrangement'.
    • I clicked on that and a screen appeared the heading "Make the mouse easier to use".

At first glance these seemed completely irrelevant. BUT then I saw further down the page a section that looked promising. It was titled "Make it easier to manage windows" with two check boxes below it.

• The second option one was titled "Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen".

I UNTICKED that option. Then clicked 'Apply'. Closed the section and "hey presto" window snapping was working again !

Hope it helps others who might have the same issue (as I myself couldn't find the solution anywhere else!).

Happy snapping :-)

• Proposed as answer by timoto888 Tuesday, January 27, 2015 11:16 PM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 11:16 PM
  • This worked for me, thanks timoto!
    Tuesday, September 15, 2015 8:40 AM