Window XP SP3 upgrade to window 7 or 8~ RRS feed

• Question

• May I know this computer with currently Microsoft Window Xp Professional Version 2002 SP3 can upgrade to run window 7/8 or not?

Computer:

Genuine Intel(R) CPU

2160 @ 1.80GHz

1.8 GHz, 1.96GB of RAM

with ATI Radeon Xpress 1100

My computer have to run Acad LT, Optiwin Software and other design software.

Please advise if the hardware part needed to be upgrade.

• Edited by SherryPing86 Wednesday, September 4, 2013 5:44 AM refine question
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 5:23 AM

Answers

• Most likely you will run into performance issues if you plan on using your machine for CAD software.  What kind of design software are you planning on using?  Do you use that software on the machine you referring to right now (while running XP)?  When your running design software that renders 3D animation, High Definition movies and/or stereo sound it takes up quite a lot of resources.  That being said, if you ran this particular software in XP without any problems you may able to get away with on 7/8 however, you wont be utilizing the OS to its fullest, so you may be better of just sticking with XP.

Regardless of whether you can run the software or not, your hardware is a bit old and can use some updating.  If it were me I would upgraded everything you have listed.  Unfortunately, you are going to have to upgrade your motherboard along with everything else.  It may be less of a hassle to just go and buy a new PC from Fry's Electronics or custom build one online.  If you have a budget I can give you some recommendations.

Remember to select 'Mark as Answer' for any reply that provided a solution

• Proposed as answer by CurtisJTrobaugh Wednesday, September 4, 2013 5:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:54 PM
    Wednesday, September 4, 2013 5:26 PM

All replies

• No.  You must perform a clean installation, meaning you have to fully format your hard drive and then preform the installation.  The specs you listed do meet the minimum requirements.  Before you upgrade to Windows 7 though you should confirm whether your running a 64-bit processor or a 32-bit processer, run Windows Upgrade Advisor, and back up you data.  The link below should give you all the steps you need in order to make upgrading as painless as possible.  Let me know if you have any questions.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7#T1=tab01

• Proposed as answer by CurtisJTrobaugh Tuesday, September 3, 2013 6:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by SherryPing86 Tuesday, September 3, 2013 7:15 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SherryPing86 Wednesday, September 4, 2013 5:44 AM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 6:15 AM
  • It should run Windows 8.  Follow the link and you should get instructions that will work with both installations.

• Proposed as answer by CurtisJTrobaugh Wednesday, September 4, 2013 6:18 AM
    Wednesday, September 4, 2013 6:18 AM
  • Dear CurtisJTrobaugh,

After upgrade to windows 7/8 , will the computer slow/lag to run the design software??

If ya please advice me what i can upgrade in term of parts. 

Thank you.

~SherryPing86~

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 7:18 AM
  • Most likely you will run into performance issues if you plan on using your machine for CAD software.  What kind of design software are you planning on using?  Do you use that software on the machine you referring to right now (while running XP)?  When your running design software that renders 3D animation, High Definition movies and/or stereo sound it takes up quite a lot of resources.  That being said, if you ran this particular software in XP without any problems you may able to get away with on 7/8 however, you wont be utilizing the OS to its fullest, so you may be better of just sticking with XP.

Regardless of whether you can run the software or not, your hardware is a bit old and can use some updating.  If it were me I would upgraded everything you have listed.  Unfortunately, you are going to have to upgrade your motherboard along with everything else.  It may be less of a hassle to just go and buy a new PC from Fry's Electronics or custom build one online.  If you have a budget I can give you some recommendations.

• Proposed as answer by CurtisJTrobaugh Wednesday, September 4, 2013 5:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:54 PM
    Wednesday, September 4, 2013 5:26 PM