disc defrag RRS feed

• Question

• i know with xp you were able to see the volumes that were going to defrag but how do you view it with vista
    • Changed type Sabrina Shen Thursday, December 2, 2010 2:42 AM
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 2:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I am sorry to say that this new interface is by design.

If you run defrag from the command line (defrag.exe <driveLetter>), you can use the verbose flag /v to get more detailed output.  Running defrag.exe /? will list the other options that you can use with the Command Line defrag tool.  Make sure to run from an elevated (administrator) command prompt.

References:

Disk Defragmenter FAQ

Disk Defragmenter Beta Chat Transcript (July 26, 2006)

Defrag

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, December 2, 2010 2:42 AM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 6:48 AM

All replies

• i know with xp you were able to see the volumes that were going to defrag but how do you view it with vista

By running a defragmentation from a Command Prompt, you can at least select a specific drive and see the disk figures.

The command needs to be run from an elevated Command Prompt, i.e. Click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then ‘Run as Administrator’. Type defrag c: -v -w (note the three spaces) and press Enter.

In the above example c: represents the C drive.

Friday, November 26, 2010 7:14 PM
  • Hi,

I am sorry to say that this new interface is by design.

If you run defrag from the command line (defrag.exe <driveLetter>), you can use the verbose flag /v to get more detailed output.  Running defrag.exe /? will list the other options that you can use with the Command Line defrag tool.  Make sure to run from an elevated (administrator) command prompt.

References:

Disk Defragmenter FAQ

Disk Defragmenter Beta Chat Transcript (July 26, 2006)

Defrag

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, December 2, 2010 2:42 AM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 6:48 AM